Flash unit for 6D II

Started 3 months ago | Questions
kmonroe99 New Member • Posts: 13
Flash unit for 6D II

Looking for recommendations for a flash unit for a 6D II with 24-105 lens.  Used mostly for outdoor nature shots for mostly fill flash application.  May use it for some portrait stuff.  Not locked into just Canon units so 3rd party products are fine.

 kmonroe99's gear list:kmonroe99's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Pentax K-7 Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon 6D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MitchAlsup Veteran Member • Posts: 5,329
Re: Flash unit for 6D II

Do you have a budget in mind ?

-- hide signature --

Mitch

Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 4,298
Re: Flash unit for 6D II

kmonroe99 wrote:

Looking for recommendations for a flash unit for a 6D II with 24-105 lens. Used mostly for outdoor nature shots for mostly fill flash application. May use it for some portrait stuff. Not locked into just Canon units so 3rd party products are fine.

As above, more details - budget, size, weight, off-camera (RT) triggering ability etc etc.

A good cost effective option might be the Godox system - TT350-C if looking for something smaller, TT685-C if looking for a large powerful full-featured flash, or the Godox lithium powered rechargeable equivalents of these two if you have a larger budget. Godox also has a few different RT triggers that work very well.

Godox has a reasonable track record of providing regular firmware updates to cater for new model Canon bodies etc. If in the US, I think Adorama sells the Godox range under their own brand with local US support.

I have a Godox TT685-C + Godox X2T-C trigger for my 6D ii. I have not used it much but everything seems to work as intended, and the RT system works well. Cost wise - both units cost me around AU$220 (about US$145) compared to about AU$900 for the Canon 600 EX ii-RT + Canon RT trigger - so about ¼ of the price of Canon equivalents.

Godox also makes a range of studio portrait lights which I believe also work well with their RT triggers.

Colin

 Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +5 more
irishrover61 New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Flash unit for 6D II

Andy01 wrote:

kmonroe99 wrote:

Looking for recommendations for a flash unit for a 6D II with 24-105 lens. Used mostly for outdoor nature shots for mostly fill flash application. May use it for some portrait stuff. Not locked into just Canon units so 3rd party products are fine.

As above, more details - budget, size, weight, off-camera (RT) triggering ability etc etc.

A good cost effective option might be the Godox system - TT350-C if looking for something smaller, TT685-C if looking for a large powerful full-featured flash, or the Godox lithium powered rechargeable equivalents of these two if you have a larger budget. Godox also has a few different RT triggers that work very well.

Godox has a reasonable track record of providing regular firmware updates to cater for new model Canon bodies etc. If in the US, I think Adorama sells the Godox range under their own brand with local US support.

I have a Godox TT685-C + Godox X2T-C trigger for my 6D ii. I have not used it much but everything seems to work as intended, and the RT system works well. Cost wise - both units cost me around AU$220 (about US$145) compared to about AU$900 for the Canon 600 EX ii-RT + Canon RT trigger - so about ¼ of the price of Canon equivalents.

Godox also makes a range of studio portrait lights which I believe also work well with their RT triggers.

Colin

I will have to second the Godox option. I use the V1 on my 6D II and am quite pleased with the results. I use a complete complement of Godox lighting and have not been disappointed in any of their products

 irishrover61's gear list:irishrover61's gear list
Olympus TG-6 Canon EOS M50 Canon 6D Mark II Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +26 more
Tom59 Senior Member • Posts: 1,305
Re: Flash unit for 6D II
1

Take a look at Adorama's Flashpoint Zoom flashes. They are rebranded Godox flashes. I have the lithium ion r2 for Canon.  $179. Very happy with it.

GreatWhiteWing Senior Member • Posts: 1,370
Re: Flash unit for 6D II

kmonroe99 wrote:

Looking for recommendations for a flash unit for a 6D II with 24-105 lens. Used mostly for outdoor nature shots for mostly fill flash application. May use it for some portrait stuff. Not locked into just Canon units so 3rd party products are fine.

And to amplify what Tom said that flash can grow with you if you move into off-camera lighting.

 GreatWhiteWing's gear list:GreatWhiteWing's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +2 more
Singh Contributing Member • Posts: 541
Re: Flash unit for 6D II
3

I've got the Godox v860ii for my 6Dii, no off camera triggers as of yet.

What I like most is the dedicated lithium battery.

99% of rechargeable AA batteries as used by a lot of people only deliver 1.2V so you never get a full charge in your flash unit, or it recycles slower. Alkaline deliver the full 1.5V but can end up being costly if you use flash units regularly.

With the V860ii and its dedicated lithium battery you're pretty much guaranteed the flash unit will recycle quickly.

 Singh's gear list:Singh's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
OP kmonroe99 New Member • Posts: 13
Re: Flash unit for 6D II

This would be for on-camera carry around for fill flash fro nature/street walking and informal outdoor portraits i.e. light weight would be nice.

 kmonroe99's gear list:kmonroe99's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Pentax K-7 Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +1 more
gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,200
Re: Flash unit for 6D II
1

I can highly recommend the Canon 430EX-III RT.  I have this flash along with the big gun 600 II RT and several older Canon flashes.  The 430 is a gem, and is the flash I take with me the most due to the compact size.  It doesn't have all the external controls and is missing a few of the high end features of the 600, but for a basic on camera flash it's got everything you need.  And it will certainly work well for off camera strobe work if you get into that.   And being a native Canon flash you can just expect that it will work with no fuss, and be compatible with future bodies for a long time.  Heck, my 550 EX flashes from the late 90s still work great on all my bodies.

I've never tried any of the Godox/Flashpoint stuff, though they have a very strong following and seem to work great.  My only reservation is for how long a unit will stay compatible with newer bodies.  The older versions seemed to have issues after 4-5 years, but perhaps I'm not remembering correctly?

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 6D Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +14 more
canon5dsquared Regular Member • Posts: 119
Re: Flash unit for 6D II

kmonroe99 wrote:

Looking for recommendations for a flash unit for a 6D II with 24-105 lens. Used mostly for outdoor nature shots for mostly fill flash application. May use it for some portrait stuff. Not locked into just Canon units so 3rd party products are fine.

I have a set of 580EXII's paired with Panasonic Eneloop Pros and they are perfect for wedding receptions because of a quick recharge  rate. They would work well as fill light for portraits as well.

apersson850 Senior Member • Posts: 1,866
Re: Flash unit for 6D II

gipper51 wrote:

And being a native Canon flash you can just expect that it will work with no fuss, and be compatible with future bodies for a long time.

That's a good point. Canon's flashes are not very cost effective, compared to some third party solutions, but they do tend to work well with Canon's cameras.

-- hide signature --

Anders

 apersson850's gear list:apersson850's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +26 more
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 4,298
Re: Flash unit for 6D II

apersson850 wrote:

gipper51 wrote:

And being a native Canon flash you can just expect that it will work with no fuss, and be compatible with future bodies for a long time.

That's a good point. Canon's flashes are not very cost effective, compared to some third party solutions, but they do tend to work well with Canon's cameras.

That is true, but when the Godox products are ¼ of the price, you could afford to either dump them or sell them off cheap if they don't work well after a camera body upgrade.

So far Godox seems to be quite good at issuing firmware upgrades to maintain compatibility for new Canon bodies.

I had a original Canon 430 EX bought in 2008 (when I had a 450D), and while it did work with my 70D (2014), M5 (2016) & 6D ii (2017), there was some functions that did not work, so it was not 100% compatible. It was also not listed as a compatible flash (for these bodies) on the Canon website. I sold it in 2020 after buying a Godox TT685-C + X2T-C trigger, and all functions on the Godox work as intended with my 6D ii.

Colin

 Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +5 more
apersson850 Senior Member • Posts: 1,866
Re: Flash unit for 6D II
1

Canon's flashes usually do what they did originally, even with a newer camera. But they don't support features the new camera can give with a new flash.

On the other hand, they usually don't lose functions, just because you put them on a new camera.

My point was that the cheap system may not be as cheap as it seems after a while, even if it still may be cheaper than Canon.

-- hide signature --

Anders

 apersson850's gear list:apersson850's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +26 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads