* Wed C&C "No Theme" Thread #663 on 2021 01 06 *

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
RoelHendrickx
OP RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 27,405
Re: A Different Kind of Dam Bird

minniev wrote:

This time of year several kinds of gulls and terns show up for a month or so to winter with the egrets and herons at the dam. A sunrise with low fog makes them a fun target. I didn't realize til I looked at some of them that the birds cast their own shadows on the fog in these conditions.

I really like the shape of the silhouette, and of course the shadow-on-fog effect.

But I am unsure about the crop.

We need the water below and we need a bit of room for the shadow and we need some forward area for the bird to fly into, and he cannot be forced against the top or the left edge of the image, but I still feel that a bit less real estate would be more.  A square crop would put the bird too much in the center.

I can't find an easy or obvious crop here, but I still feel like it would improve with some cropping intervention.  Dilemma.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

RoelHendrickx
Mike nailed it

RoelHendrickx wrote:

minniev wrote:

This time of year several kinds of gulls and terns show up for a month or so to winter with the egrets and herons at the dam. A sunrise with low fog makes them a fun target. I didn't realize til I looked at some of them that the birds cast their own shadows on the fog in these conditions.

I really like the shape of the silhouette, and of course the shadow-on-fog effect.

We need the water below and we need a bit of room for the shadow and we need some forward area for the bird to fly into, and he cannot be forced against the top or the left edge of the image, but I still feel that a bit less real estate would be more. A square crop would put the bird too much in the center.

I can't find an easy or obvious crop here, but I still feel like it would improve with some cropping intervention. Dilemma.

I posted my own comment first, and only then looked at Mike's and Pete's.

I was immediately pleased with Mike's crop. It emphasizes the verticality of the shadow without losing the horizontal motion. And he finds the sweet spot for compositional placement, IMHO.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

RoelHendrickx
Re: Four friends on a motorcycle

P3T3S wrote:

Kumsal wrote:

Happy new year!

Hopefully we can exchange more current photos with each other this autumn.

A planned trip to China last year died of COVID, and I have another planned for November this year, so hope that happens, but am not betting the house on it.

lt makes it all the more pleasurable to see this, both the scene in China and the complete lack of social distancing.

I like how everything is slightly out of focus, except the four friends, to depict the motion. I also like that the only one in real sharp focus is the driver, and he is the only one in the photo who is looking where he is going!

That subtlety of difference in sharpness between driver and passengers was a good catch by Pete.

Pete

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Fox328 Senior Member • Posts: 1,597

Kumsal wrote:

Happy new year!

Hopefully we can exchange more current photos with each other this autumn.

There's a lot of motion to be seen in this picture as is mentioned by others. What cought my eye was that the drivers in the back are looking sideways. I also see some crowd barriers. Looking at the pictures you've posted thusfar I think this must have been taken at a special occasion. Can you tell us more about this? Is this a special event we are looking at?

Fox328's gear list:Fox328's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus E-400 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +7 more
Fox328 Senior Member • Posts: 1,597
Re: Mike nailed it

RoelHendrickx wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

minniev wrote:

We need the water below and we need a bit of room for the shadow and we need some forward area for the bird to fly into, and he cannot be forced against the top or the left edge of the image, but I still feel that a bit less real estate would be more. A square crop would put the bird too much in the center.

I can't find an easy or obvious crop here, but I still feel like it would improve with some cropping intervention. Dilemma.

I was immediately pleased with Mike's crop. It emphasizes the verticality of the shadow without losing the horizontal motion. And he finds the sweet spot for compositional placement, IMHO.

I somehow disagree. I've also tried cropping this picture because of the seemingly empty space. But then i missed something. The damping water does add something to the atmosphere of the picture. I don't know what it is but somehow it doesn't feel right for me to crop it out. Just my 2 cents.

Henk

Fox328's gear list:Fox328's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus E-400 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +7 more
Leica Eye
Leica Eye Veteran Member • Posts: 3,317
Re: 4 Beauties

Fox328 wrote:

Leica Eye wrote:

Taken at a Shakespear In The Park Merced Ca

Nikon D90/Nikon Short Zoom

Keep Still

2 Beauties

Very vivid photo's. I especially like the first one which comes over more naturally because it's less posed.

Much appreciate your kind comments..  Regards, L

-- hide signature --

Being Disabled, Photography is my way of telling the World "I Am Alive" ..

Leica Eye's gear list:Leica Eye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 90D +5 more
Aldersyde Regular Member • Posts: 433
Re: ALDERSYDE contributed his own image here

Thankyou for the constructive comment.

-- hide signature --

Aldersyde

Aldersyde's gear list:Aldersyde's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F300EXR Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic LX100 II +2 more
RoelHendrickx
Re: Mike nailed it

Fox328 wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

minniev wrote:

I somehow disagree. I've also tried cropping this picture because of the seemingly empty space. But then i missed something. The damping water does add something to the atmosphere of the picture. I don't know what it is but somehow it doesn't feel right for me to crop it out. Just my 2 cents.

Henk

Henk,

In Mike's crop (see above in his comment post) the water is still present.  In fact I would go so far as to say that his crop makes the turbulence in the water even more prominent, creating an image that has, IMHO, more tension because of the dual subject.

But of course, we do not have to agree.  That is the beauty of opinions.

Roel

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

MikePDX
MikePDX Senior Member • Posts: 2,216
Group Reply: St Helens Morning

MikePDX wrote:

From a few weeks ago, on a rare winter day in the Pacific Northwest when it wasn't raining. Mt St Helens and some cooperative geese.

Thank you all for your great comments.  Nearly every morning for the past several months I've attempted to get out of the house to find good photos.  I don't always find something, but I keep returning to the same general area not too far from home.  And this photo is the happy result.  It also placed well in the monthly photo contest (now online) of the photography club I belong to.

MikePDX's gear list:MikePDX's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III
MikePDX
Cropping is such a personal thing

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Fox328 wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

minniev wrote:

Henk

Henk,

In Mike's crop (see above in his comment post) the water is still present. In fact I would go so far as to say that his crop makes the turbulence in the water even more prominent, creating an image that has, IMHO, more tension because of the dual subject.

But of course, we do not have to agree. That is the beauty of opinions.

Roel

Disagreement on a particular crop is indeed natural, and part of the value of this critique thread.  For me, and I underscore "for me", the original crop conveys a feeling of emptiness, maybe.  My attempt at cropping somehow seems more uplifting.  Both crops have value and the final choice is a function of what feeling the artist wants to convey.

Olympus E-M1 III
P3T3S Senior Member • Posts: 1,880

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Aldersyde wrote:

You sum up my situation entirely. I have not been out with a camera, due to ill health, since May 2019. My photograhpic work has been entirely on old photos which did not please at the time. The atached is an example.

Regards,

Hello, Aldersyde, and welcome to this weekly thread.

You will notice that we are a hospitable bunch, so I do hope that you will return regularly.

Let me start my comments with a small service announcement about the place that your image takes in the thread.

You have posted your post with image as a reply to Pete's post with his image of the spiraling staircase. This creates some confusion in the order of the thread.

Normally we try to post ONLY comments on images in direct replies to those images (or to earlier comments on the same images).

We encourage to post a new submission in a reply to the very first post of the thread (or use "Reply to Thread" (third option) as opposed to simple "Reply"). Please also change the title of the forum post in order to indicate that it contains your image for review. We usually use the image's title as forum post subject.

This give each image or set of images its own neat little subthread (if you watch the forum in threaded view, which is always recommended).

Having said that, I do hope our other contributors find your image and comment on it, just as you are warmly invited to comment on other contributions.

Let me turn to your image.

1) I like how we are positioned behind the main characters to look over their shoulders and admire this sunset with them.

2) The light is good and those clouds are highlighted dramatically, above a serene landscape.

3) I do feel like your image has a bit of a lean towards the right (lower there than left). If it has none, then that illusion is created by the edge of the lawn and the path.

4) At first I was in dubio about the inclusion of the glass wall on the right side, but I think there is no option to crop : you would lose far too much of that lovely sky. Besides, upon reconsideration, that glass wall almost serves as a leading line towards the people.

A contribution that offers meat and bones for commenting.

Please continue with your participation.

I like this a lot. It reminds me of an Edward Hopper painting, which I hope you will take as a compliment, as intended! The colours, the dark, slightly foreboding line of trees, the people looking away from the viewer, but important elements all the same. Their relationship and purpose is ambiguous, allowing the viewer to invent their own story. Similarly the building is only hinted at with a path, neatly mown lawn and a piece of wall or wind-break.

On top of all that it is an atmospheric sunset.

Keep them coming.

Pete

P3T3S's gear list:P3T3S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more

Thanks Pete, I am a great fan of Edward Hopper.

-- hide signature --

Aldersyde

minniev Veteran Member • Posts: 3,766
Reply to all

Thanks to all who took the time to look and comment, and especially to Mike for offering a crop that I think does improve the image. I had done a bit of cropping already, as I always do with dam birds, but I was mostly removing distractions. Mike addressed the compositional weakness and it worked! But I agree with those who say cropping, like any other compositional tool, is very personal. What appeals to me is often quite different from what appeals to others, but in this one we agree.

Kumsal Regular Member • Posts: 256

It was a normal day in Zhengzhou.

When I took this picture, COVID-19 was not an issue.

A trip to China is always interesting, there are plenty of opportunities for photos.

Re: St Helens Morning - confused

I would sharpen the birds less than the other elements in this photo.

Re-working old images

Health problems have prevented me from taking my cameras out for almost two years. this has given me the time to look at some of my old images which I haqve found lacking for one reason or another. the attached, are from Malta in 2015, during a week when the Island received its first rain for 8 months, or so we were told. the first shot is straight out of the camera, and records the weather quite faithfully, but it is not an image of the splendid harbour as I wish to remember it. The second image, although not a faithful record, is much more pleasing to my eye.

-- hide signature --

Aldersyde

P3T3S Senior Member • Posts: 1,880
Re: Re-working old images

Aldersyde wrote:

Health problems have prevented me from taking my cameras out for almost two years. this has given me the time to look at some of my old images which I haqve found lacking for one reason or another. the attached, are from Malta in 2015, during a week when the Island received its first rain for 8 months, or so we were told. the first shot is straight out of the camera, and records the weather quite faithfully, but it is not an image of the splendid harbour as I wish to remember it. The second image, although not a faithful record, is much more pleasing to my eye.

Your re-worked version is a big improvement. The increased contrast and brightness attracts attention, and the panorama crop is a success too. I particularly like the effect your processing has had on the rain clouds, which draws attention to the mixed showery weather.

Pete

P3T3S's gear list:P3T3S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
MikePDX
Re: Re-working old images

Aldersyde wrote:

This is an interesting concept and I like the notion of presenting the two versions.  I really like the reworked version for a couple of reasons.  First the crop removes some foreground distractions and some uninteresting sky.  And second, the increased color saturation emphasizes the sense of place giving the scene a feeling of warm Mediterranean sun.

To my eye, you may have over cooked the sky a bit on the left half of the image.  I might suggest backing that off just a bit.

Olympus E-M1 III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads