* Wed C&C "No Theme" Thread #663 on 2021 01 06 *

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
minniev Veteran Member • Posts: 3,762
Re: Totally Fake 9: Japan

Oh wow, just when I thought you couldn't surprise me more, you've given me a 1946 style set with slight sepia toning and my favorite kind of deckled edge. Gret cloud treatment, too. You are taking this series further into art every week.

Fox328 wrote:

After flying from Akeno airfield to Nanki-Shirama Airport, i flew towards Tokushima. The clouds formed beautiful layers above and beneath my Cessna.

Re: Four friends on a motorcycle

Indeed we all hope to be released from bondage before the year is out.

But meanwhile we dig in our archives and find fun images from happier days like this (that motorcycle is not very big, how did they manage? reminds me of when people would see how many folks they could get in a phone booth, which I am old enough to remember).

Beyond being fun, it's also a good photo with movement towards us conveyed by your choice of focus and shutter speed, a leading line taking us into the city's distance, and vibrant color. Nice.

Kumsal wrote:

Happy new year!

Hopefully we can exchange more current photos with each other this autumn.

Re: ALDERSYDE contributed his own image here

Welcome. You've shared a pleasing 'scape with an impressive sky full of interesting cloud, and a couple of observers. You are brave to shoot right into the sun, it is always an interesting quest that sometimes works and often doesn't. You've retained enough detail in the sky to make it work - we experience the intensity of the sun's force but we can still relate to the scene at hand.

Re: St Helens Morning

Oh my that's beautiful. It gave me a shiver to look at it because I'm so hungry to see such scenery again. Terrible jealousy from me.

Terrific clarity all the way through the scene to the beautiful mountain. It really is a remarkable capture with at least 10 distinct layers to appreciate going front to back in the composition. Even the formation of the geese contributes perfectly. This is one of the best classic landscape photos I've seen in a while. Please print it, at a reasonable size, and preferably on metal.

MikePDX wrote:

From a few weeks ago, on a rare winter day in the Pacific Northwest when it wasn't raining. Mt St Helens and some cooperative geese.

Re: Ad Hoc @ Castle Air Base & Museum

Leica Eye wrote:

L

These form a nice set to tell the story of the base.  Good colors and clarity.

I think the last one might be improved by cropping out the mirror, which distracts, for me, from that wonderful building.

P3T3S Senior Member • Posts: 1,875
Re: Goedele

RoelHendrickx wrote:

I can't really explain why, but for some reason this older image (from 2012) caught my eye while browsing through an open-ended gallery of casual portraits of family and friends.

Let's raise a glass to 2021 and hope it will be a good year for all.

That’s a very appropriate toast for 2020. She is very quiet and thoughtful, no joy and celebration is visible as she contemplates a less than average year, and 2021 does not promise any immediate relief.

I like the way she seems to be hiding behind the glass, but it offers no protection, and reveals more than had it not been there, creating a miniature version of her face. The eye in the glass is in the place we would expect her real eye to be, so our brain flashes between the normal and the miniature face. A nice touch.

The B&W works well and adds to the contemplative mood of the photo.

Pete

P3T3S's gear list:P3T3S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
Re: 4 Beauties

Leica Eye wrote:

Taken at a Shakespear In The Park Merced Ca

Nikon D90/Nikon Short Zoom

Keep Still

2 Beauties

I would love to see some Shakespeare in the open air again, in fact inside would be good too at the moment.

You have captured the atmosphere of the event, with people enjoying themselves.

Myfavourite is definitely the first. People engaged doing something they enjoy, usually means they ignore being photographed and do not try to put on their Sunday Best smile, which usually results in more natural and engaging photos. I think that is the case here.

Glad you posted, and hope to see more of your photos.

Pete

Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more

Leica Eye wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Leica Eye wrote:

Keep Still

2 Beauties

Dear Leica Eye,

Again you have posted your own images in a reply to someone else's contribution (in this case: a reply to my "Goedele" picture).

For your image(s) to get their own little subthread for comments, it is necessary that you post them in a reply to the VERY FIRST post in the thread (i.e. the invitation that also contains a lot of practical guidelines - you might consider reading through them).

I may return to comment on your Shakespeare women later.

Ok, so I made mistook, Don't talk down to me.. L

Don’t worry we’ve all done it!

By the way, I don’t think Roel meant to talk down to you, even if you took it that way. That would have been very out of character for him. Remember English is not everyone’s first language here so sometimes what is written comes across with a wrong tone.

Anyway, I hope you continue to post in the future.

Pete

Re: Totally Fake 9: Japan

Fox328 wrote:

After flying from Akeno airfield to Nanki-Shirama Airport, i flew towards Tokushima. The clouds formed beautiful layers above and beneath my Cessna.

Again, you have found some interesting new ways to present these fine scenes. 
I like the scalloped edge on the B&W photos. They really do look like some treasured memories found in a shoe box in someone’s attic. Actually a vintage plane would have been the icing on the cake here.

Pete

Re: St Helens Morning

MikePDX wrote:

From a few weeks ago, on a rare winter day in the Pacific Northwest when it wasn't raining. Mt St Helens and some cooperative geese.

This has the feeling of a Japanese artist. “Cranes approaching Mt. Fuji”. It has that quiet meditative beauty.

The scene is beautiful and tranquil, and I love the limited palette of colours. Those geese are the perfect models. They found the ideal piece of sky and flew nice and close, without overlapping their wings. Not only that, but limiting the number to four works perfectly too. More would overpower it.

Definitely one to treasure.

Pete

Kumsal wrote:

Happy new year!

A planned trip to China last year died of COVID, and I have another planned for November this year, so hope that happens, but am not betting the house on it.

lt makes it all the more pleasurable to see this, both the scene in China and the complete lack of social distancing.

I like how everything is slightly out of focus, except the four friends, to depict the motion. I also like that the only one in real sharp focus is the driver, and he is the only one in the photo who is looking where he is going!

Pete

Re: A Different Kind of Dam Bird

minniev wrote:

This time of year several kinds of gulls and terns show up for a month or so to winter with the egrets and herons at the dam. A sunrise with low fog makes them a fun target. I didn't realize til I looked at some of them that the birds cast their own shadows on the fog in these conditions.

This is a much quieter image than the usual dam birds, but it is just as powerful. The colours are the same, but the water is just hinted at, instead of leaping out of the frame. Tranquility can be just as powerful as energy. The shadow effect is very cool, too.

I must say I like Mike’s crop, and think it improves what is already a great photo.

Pete

Leica Eye
Leica Eye Veteran Member • Posts: 3,267

P3T3S wrote:

Leica Eye wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Leica Eye wrote:

Keep Still

2 Beauties

Dear Leica Eye,

Again you have posted your own images in a reply to someone else's contribution (in this case: a reply to my "Goedele" picture).

For your image(s) to get their own little subthread for comments, it is necessary that you post them in a reply to the VERY FIRST post in the thread (i.e. the invitation that also contains a lot of practical guidelines - you might consider reading through them).

I may return to comment on your Shakespeare women later.

Ok, so I made mistook, Don't talk down to me.. L

Don’t worry we’ve all done it!

By the way, I don’t think Roel meant to talk down to you, even if you took it that way. That would have been very out of character for him. Remember English is not everyone’s first language here so sometimes what is written comes across with a wrong tone.

Anyway, I hope you continue to post in the future.

Pete

Understood, thanks, Regards, L

-- hide signature --

Being Disabled, Photography is my way of telling the World "I Am Alive" ..

Leica Eye's gear list:Leica Eye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 90D +5 more

Leica Eye wrote:

L

I enjoy air museums too, and these give the atmosphere of the 1940s and 50s very well.

The B29 seems to receive more love than the buildings, which I suppose is natural. However, they add to the tale of disappearing into history, if nobody makes an effort to rescue.

The mirror in the third is an intrusion, but I quite like it. It and the yellow lines add to the story, showing it is a visit in modern times.

Pete

Leica Eye
Leica Eye Veteran Member • Posts: 3,267

P3T3S wrote:

Leica Eye wrote:

L

I enjoy air museums too, and these give the atmosphere of the 1940s and 50s very well.

The B29 seems to receive more love than the buildings, which I suppose is natural. However, they add to the tale of disappearing into history, if nobody makes an effort to rescue.

The mirror in the third is an intrusion, but I quite like it. It and the yellow lines add to the story, showing it is a visit in modern times.

Pete

Thank you for your nice comments, I left the mirror in so as to give the image some depth & reality as opposed to just another older building.. Regards, L

-- hide signature --

Being Disabled, Photography is my way of telling the World "I Am Alive" ..

Leica Eye's gear list:Leica Eye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 90D +5 more

Leica Eye wrote:

P3T3S wrote:

Leica Eye wrote:

L

Pete

Thank you for your nice comments, I left the mirror in so as to give the image some depth & reality as opposed to just another older building.. Regards, L

And it achieves that perfectly.

@Mike  Yes, I flipped it through 180° to increase the tension.

@Andrew   Actually nothing was removed or added to the stairwell. (I based the B&W version on one I had already partially processed in colour, so had to go back and confirm with the original.) I cropped it slightly, played with brightness in the various levels, added sharpness, contrast and clarity and that's it.

I also suffer badly from vertigo, and had no problems taking this, although you don't want to put too much trust in those old bannisters!

One thing that nobody has picked up on is the pose of the woman. Having gone to lengths to compose the shot without chopping any important curves, she lifted her hands to adjust her hair just as I was about to press the shutter. It is a tiny detail, but one which I rather like. It looks as though she is covering her ears in stress, which fits very well with the intended effect of the spiral. Her (make believe) mental stress also gives the title its second meaning of Downward Spiral. I guess that was a bit too obtuse to be noticed.

Pete

Fox328 Senior Member • Posts: 1,597

Leica Eye wrote:

Keep Still

2 Beauties

Very vivid photo's. I especially like the first one which comes over more naturally because it's less posed.

Fox328's gear list:Fox328's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus E-400 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +7 more
RoelHendrickx
OP RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 27,404
Re: Reply

P3T3S wrote:

@Mike Yes, I flipped it through 180° to increase the tension.

@Andrew Actually nothing was removed or added to the stairwell. (I based the B&W version on one I had already partially processed in colour, so had to go back and confirm with the original.) I cropped it slightly, played with brightness in the various levels, added sharpness, contrast and clarity and that's it.

I also suffer badly from vertigo, and had no problems taking this, although you don't want to put too much trust in those old bannisters!

One thing that nobody has picked up on is the pose of the woman. Having gone to lengths to compose the shot without chopping any important curves, she lifted her hands to adjust her hair just as I was about to press the shutter. It is a tiny detail, but one which I rather like. It looks as though she is covering her ears in stress, which fits very well with the intended effect of the spiral. Her (make believe) mental stress also gives the title its second meaning of Downward Spiral. I guess that was a bit too obtuse to be noticed.

Pete

And there I was, still needing to comment on your image.

I agree with the praise others have already worded.

I had noticed the person, but not the subtlety you mention here in your reply.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

RoelHendrickx
OP RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 27,404

Kumsal wrote:

Happy new year!

Obvious fun on display here.

The motion blur actually adds to the dynamism.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads