* Wed C&C "No Theme" Thread #663 on 2021 01 06 *

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
MikePDX
MikePDX Senior Member • Posts: 2,203
Re: St Helens Morning - confused

Kumsal wrote:

I am rarely as excited about a photo as this one! ..

But the birds in the foreground need to be defused a bit.

Respectfully, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Are the birds too much in focus?

MikePDX's gear list:MikePDX's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III
RoelHendrickx
OP RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 27,373
Re: St Helens Morning

MikePDX wrote:

From a few weeks ago, on a rare winter day in the Pacific Northwest when it wasn't raining. Mt St Helens and some cooperative geese.

This is a delicious layer cake of an image.

I count at least 6 or 7 layers of depth, starting from the nearby shrubbery and all the way  into the distance ending with the magnificent mountain (not counting the sky behind it all).

I love that kind of depth in a landscape, with colours that complement eachother in soft tones and dark silhouettes.

The birds occupy a perfect spot in the composition : they fill a space that might otherwise feel a bit empty) and they do not cross the imaginary visual boundaries created by the highest trees (vertical) and by the different colour-layers in the sky.

It's picture perfect.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

RoelHendrickx
CONTRIBUTION HERE : Ad Hoc @ Castle Air Base & Museum

Leica Eye wrote:

L

Hello, Leica Eye, and welcome to this weekly thread.

You will notice that we are a hospitable bunch, so I do hope that you will return regularly.

Let me start my comments with a small service announcement about the place that your images take in the thread.

You have posted your post with images as a reply to Mike's post with his image of St Helens.  This creates some confusion in the order of the thread.

Normally we try to post ONLY comments on images in direct replies to those images (or to earlier comments on the same images).

We encourage to post a new submission in a reply to the very first post of the thread (or use "Reply to Thread" (third option) as opposed to simple "Reply"). This give each image or set of images its own neat little subthread (if you watch the forum in threaded view, which is always recommended).

Having said that, I do hope our other contributors find your images and comment on them, just as you are warmly invited to comment on other contributions.

Let me turn to your images.

The last of your images gives us a hint that these may all be shot from the driver seat of a car, on a drive by through the grounds of this Museum Air Base.  It's a specific vantage point that the viewer can easily identify with.

Your first image is the most "logical" for wanting to show us an Air Base Museum : we see an impressive bomber with a perspex nose turret (or maybe that is the spot from where the guy in charge of the bombs checks when the plane is above target).  The rows of little bomb icons on the side of the plane, tell us that this plane has made quite a few bombing runs. like notches carved in a pistol grip.  It seems quaint but is actually a record of doom delivered below.

The second and third images show us the state of the actual base.  It is in dire need of a fresh coat of paint and feels abandoned and cold, triggering an association with "days gone by".

As a trio, the images seem to want to remind us that the cold war, which is just a phrase in the history books for present young generations, was once a clearly felt presence, but that everything has a "best before" date.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

RoelHendrickx
ALDERSYDE contributed his own image here

Aldersyde wrote:

You sum up my situation entirely. I have not been out with a camera, due to ill health, since May 2019. My photograhpic work has been entirely on old photos which did not please at the time. The atached is an example.

Regards,

Hello, Aldersyde, and welcome to this weekly thread.

You will notice that we are a hospitable bunch, so I do hope that you will return regularly.

Let me start my comments with a small service announcement about the place that your image takes in the thread.

You have posted your post with image as a reply to Pete's post with his image of the spiraling staircase. This creates some confusion in the order of the thread.

Normally we try to post ONLY comments on images in direct replies to those images (or to earlier comments on the same images).

We encourage to post a new submission in a reply to the very first post of the thread (or use "Reply to Thread" (third option) as opposed to simple "Reply"). Please also change the title of the forum post in order to indicate that it contains your image for review.  We usually use the image's title as forum post subject.

This give each image or set of images its own neat little subthread (if you watch the forum in threaded view, which is always recommended).

Having said that, I do hope our other contributors find your image and comment on it, just as you are warmly invited to comment on other contributions.

Let me turn to your image.

1) I like how we are positioned behind the main characters to look over their shoulders and admire this sunset with them.

2) The light is good and those clouds are highlighted dramatically, above a serene landscape.

3) I do feel like your image has a bit of a lean towards the right (lower there than left).  If it has none, then that illusion is created by the edge of the lawn and the path.

4) At first I was in dubio about the inclusion of the glass wall on the right side, but I think there is no option to crop : you would lose far too much of that lovely sky.  Besides, upon reconsideration, that glass wall almost serves as a leading line towards the people.

A contribution that offers meat and bones for commenting.

Please continue with your participation.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Aldersyde Regular Member • Posts: 430
Re: ALDERSYDE contributed his own image here

Hello Roel,  Thankyou for your comments all of which are duly noted.  Now that I am back in the land of the living, so to speak, I do intend to post more regularly.

Regards,

-- hide signature --

Aldersyde

Aldersyde's gear list:Aldersyde's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F300EXR Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic LX100 II +2 more
minniev Veteran Member • Posts: 3,738
A Different Kind of Dam Bird

This time of year several kinds of gulls and terns show up for a month or so to winter with the egrets and herons at the dam. A sunrise with low fog makes them a fun target. I didn't realize til I looked at some of them that the birds cast their own shadows on the fog in these conditions.

Fox328 Senior Member • Posts: 1,586
Re: Goedele

RoelHendrickx wrote:

I can't really explain why, but for some reason this older image (from 2012) caught my eye while browsing through an open-ended gallery of casual portraits of family and friends.

Let's raise a glass to 2021 and hope it will be a good year for all.

What is interesting about this picture is not only raising the glass but seeing how the breaking index of the glass changes what we see. What makes is extra interesting is that the eyes perfectly line up with what you would normally expect. Simple but very effective picture which makes you look more than once.

Fox328's gear list:Fox328's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus E-400 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +7 more
Re: In a Downward Spiral

P3T3S wrote:

2021 continues the trend set by 2020 so far. I mean photographically, with no new photography, just trawling the catalogue and finding ones that I hadn't processed, or hadn't managed to develope to my liking. It is usually easier to make decisions after time, when the initial intention / excitement / disappointment have faded and do not interfere with the process. I struggled with the colour balance on this one, as each floor level had its own mix of natural and artificial light source, and converting to B&W is such an obvious choice now.

Pete

The way you did a B&W conversion makes it look like an Escher-like picture. The border of the stairs look like they've been drawn. I like the chosen vanishing point and that the border starts oval to converge in an almost round shape. The human sitting on ground level seems very small but gives us something to discover. Shortly: I like this one.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus E-400 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +7 more
Re: St Helens Morning

MikePDX wrote:

From a few weeks ago, on a rare winter day in the Pacific Northwest when it wasn't raining. Mt St Helens and some cooperative geese.

What can I say more. Perfectly layered and a beautiful composition.

Re: A Different Kind of Dam Bird

minniev wrote:

This time of year several kinds of gulls and terns show up for a month or so to winter with the egrets and herons at the dam. A sunrise with low fog makes them a fun target. I didn't realize til I looked at some of them that the birds cast their own shadows on the fog in these conditions.

The first thing i saw was the beautiful shadow you talk about. Although the picture seems a bit empty there still is a lot to discover so i just would keep it as it is...beautiful.

MikePDX

RoelHendrickx wrote:

I can't really explain why, but for some reason this older image (from 2012) caught my eye while browsing through an open-ended gallery of casual portraits of family and friends.

Very intriguing!  I have spent a good deal if time looking at this image - trying to comprehend the story behind it.  I can imagine a couple of story lines that might fit the situation.  But the actual story isn't what is important.  What, IMHO, makes this a fascinating image is simply the fact that I am intrigued enough to spend time studying it.

Well done.

Olympus E-M1 III
Leica Eye
Leica Eye Senior Member • Posts: 2,952
4 Beauties

Taken at a Shakespear In The Park  Merced Ca

Nikon D90/Nikon Short Zoom

Keep Still

2 Beauties

-- hide signature --

Being Disabled, Photography is my way of telling the World "I Am Alive" ..

Leica Eye's gear list:Leica Eye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 90D +5 more
MikePDX
Re: A Different Kind of Dam Bird

minniev wrote:

I might suggest a vertical crop.  Many photographers are particular about cropping, so take this only as a suggestion for consideration.

In the process I cut off your watermark - sorry

For me it seems to help balance some of the negative space, and it seems more dynamic when the bird is flying into the scene instead of out of it.  Just a thought.

Olympus E-M1 III
RoelHendrickx
Lockdown doesn't have to be the end of photography

Inspiring article on finding photographic opportunity in small things:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2021/jan/07/the-joy-of-small-things-daily-lockdown-walks-with-a-camera

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

RoelHendrickx
Re: 4 Beauties

Leica Eye wrote:

Taken at a Shakespear In The Park Merced Ca

Keep Still

2 Beauties

Dear Leica Eye,

Again you have posted your own images in a reply to someone else's contribution (in this case: a reply to my "Goedele" picture).

For your image(s) to get their own little subthread for comments, it is necessary that you post them in a reply to the VERY FIRST post in the thread (i.e. the invitation that also contains a lot of practical guidelines - you might consider reading through them).

I may return to comment on your Shakespeare women later.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Leica Eye
Leica Eye Senior Member • Posts: 2,952

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Leica Eye wrote:

Keep Still

2 Beauties

Dear Leica Eye,

Again you have posted your own images in a reply to someone else's contribution (in this case: a reply to my "Goedele" picture).

For your image(s) to get their own little subthread for comments, it is necessary that you post them in a reply to the VERY FIRST post in the thread (i.e. the invitation that also contains a lot of practical guidelines - you might consider reading through them).

Ok, so I made mistook, Don't talk down to me..    L

-- hide signature --

Being Disabled, Photography is my way of telling the World "I Am Alive" ..

Leica Eye's gear list:Leica Eye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 90D +5 more
RoelHendrickx

Leica Eye wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Leica Eye wrote:

Keep Still

2 Beauties

Dear Leica Eye,

Ok, so I made mistook, Don't talk down to me.. L

I'm hoping you were saying that in jest.  I can't decipher the emoji.

If not, please accept my assurance that I had no intention of taking down.  It is not my style nor temperament to talk down to anybody.

I was just pointing you, with all due respect, towards the best way to enjoy this wonderful weekly endeavour of peer-to-peer review, for your own enjoyment as well as the other participants.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Caught my eye too. The disconcerting distortion set against strong geometry is a real attention grabber. I've enjoyed studying this one. (B & W conversion is outstanding, too).

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Quite nice shots. The first is my favorite type of casual people photos - people doing something interesting, and relating to each other without interacting with the photographer.

Like most of us, I immediately checked the "taken" date because it seems so strange now to see humans who are not wearing masks.

Leica Eye wrote:

Keep Still

2 Beauties

Re: In a Downward Spiral

Oh that is quite wonderful. I've attempted a few spirals but never got anything half this good. Excellent conversion that emphasizes the nautilus shell of that staircase, and makes us appreciate it as both a depth image and a fractal. Extraordinary. Keep digging in those archives and bringing forth the treasures!

P3T3S wrote:

2021 continues the trend set by 2020 so far. I mean photographically, with no new photography, just trawling the catalogue and finding ones that I hadn't processed, or hadn't managed to develope to my liking. It is usually easier to make decisions after time, when the initial intention / excitement / disappointment have faded and do not interfere with the process. I struggled with the colour balance on this one, as each floor level had its own mix of natural and artificial light source, and converting to B&W is such an obvious choice now.

Pete

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads