Pixel binning - what are the benefits?

Started 11 months ago | Questions
Ponyshine New Member • Posts: 1
Pixel binning - what are the benefits?

Hi There,

I'm a bit confused about the benefits of pixel binning and was wondering if anyone could help me out?

Basically I'm trying to decide between 2 phones: either the moto G8 which has a 16 mp main camera or the moto e7 plus which has a 48 mp, however the latter has pixel binning so apparently the effective resolution is only 12 mp.

Which would you say is the better camera? To me the 16 mp one seems better for detail and quality of pics, but I don't understand what the benefits of the pixel binning are so I might be missing something. Which camera would you say is better?

Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
PhotoFactor Veteran Member • Posts: 3,924
Re: Pixel binning - what are the benefits?

Ponyshine wrote:

Hi There,

I'm a bit confused about the benefits of pixel binning and was wondering if anyone could help me out?

Basically I'm trying to decide between 2 phones: either the moto G8 which has a 16 mp main camera or the moto e7 plus which has a 48 mp, however the latter has pixel binning so apparently the effective resolution is only 12 mp.

Which would you say is the better camera? To me the 16 mp one seems better for detail and quality of pics, but I don't understand what the benefits of the pixel binning are so I might be missing something. Which camera would you say is better?

Thanks!

If you get a bad pixel, you have some spares.

I'll show myself out now...

PhotoFactor's gear list:PhotoFactor's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6400 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN 7artisans 25mm F1.8 +3 more
Van Nostrand Regular Member • Posts: 461

Ponyshine wrote:

Hi There,

Thanks!

I wouldn't put too much stock in " pixel-binning" at all.  Some phone cameras that do pixel-binning give terrible results,  some average ,  some give great results.

LIke you are doing, I would suggest,  just examine the photos for the most part.  That E6 plus with the 48Mp uses a Samsung GM1 isocell Sensor.......it doesn't get good ratings. Generally speaking the 16mp phones of the Moto G series get better ratings.  If you really want to the most out of that Moto phone's camera,  do some research on that particular model and see if there is a working GCAM camera app for it.   The proper forums you will find talking about spefici models and gcam usage are reddit and xda.

Patrick T. Kelly Veteran Member • Posts: 4,450

I found an article about pixel binning. It's not very long.

https://www.androidauthority.com/what-is-pixel-binning-966179/

-- hide signature --

Patrick T. Kelly
Oaxaca, Mexico

vv50
vv50 Contributing Member • Posts: 857

Ponyshine wrote:

I don't understand what the benefits of the pixel binning are so I might be missing something. Which camera would you say is better?

instead of asking which is better, ask if you need the additional resolution when there is good lighting and no pixel binning is activated.

Patrick T. Kelly Veteran Member • Posts: 4,450

Okay, don't want to read the article. Pixel binning improves dynamic range, and low-light photographs with more light and less noise.

I also took a quick look at two YouTube reviews, one for each of the phones mentioned in the OP and the E7 was said be below average for photos. The other was okay and both reviews showed photos as examples for their conclusions.

"You might have spotted pixel binning in earlier phones like LG's G7 ThinQ in 2018 and this year's LG V60 ThinQ, but this year it's really catching on. Samsung, the top Android phone maker, built pixel binning into its flagship Galaxy S20 Ultra. Other high-end phones launched last week, Xiaomi's Mi 10 and Mi 10 Pro and Huawei's P40 Pro and Pro+, also offer pixel binning.

"Here's your guide to what's going on."

https://www.cnet.com/news/galaxy-s20-ultra-takes-great-photos-in-the-dark-thanks-pixel-binning/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads