Which L Bracket should i buy

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Wanderer1971 Junior Member • Posts: 47
Which L Bracket should i buy

I own a Fuji XT3 and have a Manfrotto Befree tripod with a standard ball head but not sure of the particular model of head.

My question is would i need to buy an L Bracket made by Manfrotto or would there be any others that would work. I love the idea of clicking it in place and removing it to change from portrait to landscape format. Thank you in advance

Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bing Chow Senior Member • Posts: 2,375
Re: Which L Bracket should i buy

Wanderer1971 wrote:

I own a Fuji XT3 and have a Manfrotto Befree tripod with a standard ball head but not sure of the particular model of head.

My question is would i need to buy an L Bracket made by Manfrotto or would there be any others that would work. I love the idea of clicking it in place and removing it to change from portrait to landscape format. Thank you in advance

I don't know if your ballhead is Arca-Swiss compatible or if it works only with Manfrotto's proprietary quick release plates. If it is the latter, then I'd hate to say it, but get a new head and switch over to Arca-Swiss compatible. There, you'll find dozens of heads and L brackets in every budget. Manfrotto's own L bracket is the dumbest piece of photo equipment on earth.

OP Wanderer1971 Junior Member • Posts: 47

Thank you and yes having seen pics of the manfrotto one it doesn't look as well designed as others i have seen.

This is the one I have currently

Greg Livingston New Member • Posts: 6

You are at a crossroads in deciding to continue down the Manfrotto quick release eco- path or changing to an Arca-Swiss eco-path.  I too, was there about 10 years ago.  I had received a Peak Design clip for Christmas from a friend and in order to use it I had to either buy a Manfrotto compatible plate or switch. I decided to switch and haven't looked back.  I retrofitted my Manfrotto ballheads with Arca-Swiss receivers (I believe they were Desmond) and replaced all my RC2 plates with Arca-Swiss. This opened up a new word of solutions which I couldn't get if I had stayed the RC2 path.  For example. nodal rails, a star tracker, gimbal. L-brackets, etc..

It wasn't a cheap change, but in the long run it has saved me money.  The money savings comes from having more competition for solutions and the ability to find the solution I needed without having to DIY.

If I were you, I'd consider where I would like to be in 5 years with my photography and if now is the time to bite the bullet or not and make the switch.

Oh by the way, I have the Manfrotto L-bracket and hate it. A waste of money.  I now have RRS L-brackets for all my bodies and configurations.

Good luck.

Greg Livingston's gear list:Greg Livingston's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony RX100 VII Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 +15 more
CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 7,552

Wanderer1971 wrote:

This is the one I have currently

You have to show us the top of the head, from the top down not the bottom up, but from what little I can see, this is a proprietary Manfrotto head and plate, so you will have to buy a compatible Manfrotto L Bracket, if they even make one.

Greg Livingston New Member • Posts: 6

Greg Livingston wrote:

You are at a crossroads in deciding to continue down the Manfrotto quick release eco- path or changing to an Arca-Swiss eco-path. I too, was there about 10 years ago. I had received a Peak Design clip for Christmas from a friend and in order to use it I had to either buy a Manfrotto compatible plate or switch. I decided to switch and haven't looked back. I retrofitted my Manfrotto ballheads with Arca-Swiss receivers (I believe they were Desmond) and replaced all my RC2 plates with Arca-Swiss. This opened up a new word of solutions which I couldn't get if I had stayed the RC2 path. For example. nodal rails, a star tracker, gimbal. L-brackets, etc..

It wasn't a cheap change, but in the long run it has saved me money. The money savings comes from having more competition for solutions and the ability to find the solution I needed without having to DIY.

If I were you, I'd consider where I would like to be in 5 years with my photography and if now is the time to bite the bullet or not and make the switch.

Oh by the way, I have the Manfrotto L-bracket and hate it. A waste of money. I now have RRS L-brackets for all my bodies and configurations.

Good luck.

In furtherance,

This is what you have

This is my replacement. Cross compatible with Arca-Swiss and Manfrotto RC2.

With Manfrotto RC2.

With Arca-Swiss plate.

With solution I was able to use both Arca-Swiss and Manfrotto.  I eventually retired  all the Manfrotto RC2s.

Greg Livingston's gear list:Greg Livingston's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony RX100 VII Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 +15 more
a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 10,717

Smallrig L plates.  ARCA plates on top of your Manfrotto heads.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Bing Chow Senior Member • Posts: 2,375

a_c_skinner wrote:

Smallrig L plates. ARCA plates on top of your Manfrotto heads.

I concur. I absolutely love mine for the Z7II. They make a nice looking one for the XT3. Whether the OP wants the wooden grip is another story. Compare the Smallrig to the Manfrotto L bracket and you'd have to be on some serious hallucinogens to prefer the latter. And it costs nearly 3x as much as the Smallrig! I wouldn't buy it if it was 3x cheaper.

OP: The sentiments are unanimous: Switch to Arca Swiss. Now. Cut your losses on the ballhead. I wouldn't even bother switching plates. The only reason why you would, is if you don't want to give up your ballhead, or if you already have multiple Manfrotto ballheads that you're committed to. You won't regret buying into the AS ecosystem.

Head from the top

Thank you for the information and does this pic help at all.

Thank you for the reply and information, so I should change the ball head for a Swiss one which would work better with the L Bracket and this would fit the Manfrotto tripod. Will look up and see what the cost is. The tripod wasn’t a costly one so i don’t see it as wanting to spend lots on this. Thank you

Jack Calypso Regular Member • Posts: 494

Wanderer1971 wrote:

Thank you for the reply and information, so I should change the ball head for a Swiss one which would work better with the L Bracket and this would fit the Manfrotto tripod. Will look up and see what the cost is. The tripod wasn’t a costly one so i don’t see it as wanting to spend lots on this. Thank you

You could unscrew the clamp from the ball, and replace it with one of these: https://www.manfrotto.com/us-en/top-lock-travel-quick-release-adaptor/ . You may need to apply some heat, to soften any Loctite on the screw.

This is the proper shape to fit your head with the legs folded, and is Arca-Swiss compatible.

Steve Siegel Regular Member • Posts: 338

Wanderer1971 wrote:

Before you change out the ball head, take a look at http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/category-s/146.htm to see if they have the hardware to convert your current setup.  I converted several Manfrotto heads using their available kits.

Steve Siegel's gear list:Steve Siegel's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 Canon G1 X II Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS M6 II +12 more

Thank you and i will check them out

Thats great and will give it some serious thought. Thank you

Thank you that looks really good, so as i am clueless would i fit that then would need a clamp to fit onto it, so could i use that to connect with the camera without a bracket.

I was looking at this one below as a budget option, would that work with that one do you think

https://www.srb-photographic.co.uk/srb-l-bracket-mount-with-arca-swiss-fit-11588-p.asp

Appreciate the information from you.

Blokfluitist
Blokfluitist Contributing Member • Posts: 695

I went through this same dilemma just a few weeks ago and finally switched from the Manfrotto RC2 system to Arca Swiss. I have thought long and hard over it (over a year) because the RC2 QR plate is so easy to switch in and out and there's no way anyone can ever convince me that a screw plate can compete for ease of use!

My solution, which I'm very happy with, was to buy an Arca lever clamp from 3LeggedThing, which is just as quick to switch in and out as my original RC2 system. And as for the L bracket... I went with the Ellie, also from 3LT.

https://www.3leggedthing.com/ellie

Rose
-----
https://www.facebook.com/roseatkinsoncreative
https://www.facebook.com/naturebyrose

Blokfluitist's gear list:Blokfluitist's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +4 more

Thank you that looks really good, so from what I can tell I need the quick release clamp, the quick release plate and the l bracket itself. Thank you

Blokfluitist
Blokfluitist Contributing Member • Posts: 695

Wanderer1971 wrote:

Thank you that looks really good, so from what I can tell I need the quick release clamp, the quick release plate and the l bracket itself. Thank you

This is what I bought:

https://www.3leggedthing.com/store/promo-offers/airhed-switch-grey-ex-demo

It comes with a QR plate, but if you buy an L bracket you won't need that.

Rose
-----
https://www.facebook.com/roseatkinsoncreative
https://www.facebook.com/naturebyrose

Blokfluitist's gear list:Blokfluitist's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +4 more

Thank you for sharing that very interesting

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads