* Wed C&C "No Theme" Thread #662 on 2020 12 30 *

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
P3T3S Senior Member • Posts: 1,850
Re: Crashing Disappointment

MikePDX wrote:

Haven't been doing much shooting for the past few months. But I did find time to go out to the Pacific Northwest coast a couple weeks ago when we had high surf conditions at the same time as an extreme high tide. The title comes from crashing waves at Cape Disappointment, which is in the extreme SW corner of Washington State.

Crashing Disappointment

And just to show that I haven't disappeared completely, I did read Andrew's post last week. So in the spirit of Andrew's post, here is the first image I posted to the Wednesday C&C thread when Claus was still hosting - something like #65, I think.

Still Waiting for Spring!

When will Spring ever come?? Shot with the good old E500.

Wow, what a wave. The lighthouse is safe for the moment, but this photo shows how that cliff will be eroded and the lighthouse will tumble, given a few hundred years.

As others have said, the fact the wave is breaking so forcefully in two directions makes this, and gives it such force.

An excellent image, and looks as though just coming away was an achievement, let alone coming away with a worthwhile image!

Pete

P3T3S's gear list:P3T3S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 8,148
Re: PS

RoelHendrickx wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

MikePDX wrote:

Haven't been doing much shooting for the past few months. But I did find time to go out to the Pacific Northwest coast a couple weeks ago when we had high surf conditions at the same time as an extreme high tide. The title comes from crashing waves at Cape Disappointment, which is in the extreme SW corner of Washington State.

Crashing Disappointment

And just to show that I haven't disappeared completely, I did read Andrew's post last week. So in the spirit of Andrew's post, here is the first image I posted to the Wednesday C&C thread when Claus was still hosting - something like #65, I think.

Spectacular. Your angle contrasts the white against the dark headland behind. This brings out the fine details of the surface and the tiny droplets parting from the wave. Catching a moment where some of the wave is being hurled forwards while another section is hurled back adds drama and energy - it shouts of the conflict between ocean and land.

Above, the lighthouse remains secure and aloof.

I'll concur with all that Mike said.

And let me just put it this way : If this is Crashing Disappointment, then I surely hope that my 2021 is filled with crashing disappointments.

The drama could hardly be more... dramatic.

I thought it would look good too in contrasty B&W, so I gave that a go.

But too much contrast did not look good at all, so I dialed the contrast down.

I also followed someone else's suggestion for a crop, not to 1:1 square but to 4:3 (coming from 3:2 I assume). It results in a slightly more concentrated feeling, because all that hydro-power has less empty space to escape into.

Here is the (crude - Snapseed on Iphone on a small image file) result.

I can always delete it if you want me to.

When I looked at the original from Mike PDX, I thought about cropping a little off the right but changed my mind when I noted the breaking bit on the right hand of the wave at the front. It seemed to give a balance in miniature to the big break on the left. B&W changes things and here I feel that Roel's crop is the better choice. It must be something about the simplicity of line that appeals to me in B&W.

In the B&W version, the fanlike dark lines in the wave become more significant. I like the Roel version a lot. For a print (it would make a great print) I'd try to make some of the deepest blacks a bit blacker. Not much, you wouldn't want to turn the shadow area on the left edge all black.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
P3T3S Senior Member • Posts: 1,850
Re: Totally Fake 8: Jackson - Mississippi

Fox328 wrote:

It was sunday morning before 7 am (local time) when I found myself at Jackson/Evers airport (KJAN). It was still dark then and at the time i took off. I first made a couple of circles over Jackson before i saw the sun coming up to found out it was a bit hazy.

After flying some time the sun gave some more light but the haze didn't disappear.

In this picture you can see the Ross R. Barnett Reservoir and if you watch it full size you can also see the Pearl river coming out of the reservoir.

In this picture i am flying over Spilway road and the Dam. Unfortunately no birds could be seen .

Here you can see the Ross R. Barnett Reservoir through the window of the cockpit.

Just before i went back to Jackson/Evers airport i flew over route 43. I found out that on the scenery a small island was missing. The computer software had washed it out although it was captured at the satellite photograph. Later that day i have corrected this by hand so the small island is visible in the future.

Happy New Year!

Henk

It’s a fun idea to approach the Dam Birds virtually from the air, their natural habitat, whilst Minnie far below, is photographing them buried beneath the dam. Of course it is interesting for us to peep behind the scenes and see the location of these famous photos too.

It’s a nice selection of angles of the plane and the scenery too.

Pete

P3T3S's gear list:P3T3S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
minniev Veteran Member • Posts: 3,737
Re: Veltwijck

Another beautiful place well caught with its own still reflection. Give me the first, with all the trees both real and reflected with their bare lacy wintery arms. I am especially fond of the one on the left that leans inward as if reaching for that spire. But all of them are quite nice, each with a slightly different feel. Well taken, well presented, and inspires jealousy.

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Another few images that explore variations of the same view.

Again from a brisk wintery walk, this time almost in our own backyard.

This is Castle Veltwijck in Ekeren near Antwerp. It sits in a small park at the edge of a hidden nature reserve called "Oude Landen".

This small sanctuary sits squeezed between the harbour and large roads. Apart from the constant drone of traffic and high buildings sometimes visible through the trees, one could imagine being in an untouched or reclaimed corner of the world, with wet marshy grasslands and muddy forest (with the occasional destroyed building).

The fact that Scottish bovines roam freely (and friendly) through the reserve, helps create a wonderful atmosphere.

But that is in the nature reserve.

This is in the adjacent park (Iphone images once again):

Re: Power. Correct version.

Bright, colorful and yes, power-ful image with all those power sources plus a powerful truck barreling towards them on a road that’s pinned to the proper lower left corner. The vivid colors and extra detail of this slightly HDR-ish editing is appropriate for this one. The three kinds of clouds add to the oddly pleasing cacophony.

Mike Fewster wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

This is the site of the largest lithium power battery in the world (well, it was at the time it was built not many years ago.)

What it is able to do is not so much store power but manage and balance the power loads across the networks. It makes it possible for much of South Australia's power to be generated by solar cells on domestic homes.

https://hornsdalepowerreserve.com.au/

That's betterer.

Re: See the World

An appropriate (and quite nice) image that sums it up: free us to move as we wish. Whether is is driving to the nearest town, biking in a park, riding the train to New Orleans or catching a plane to Barcelona, we’ve lost most of our choices this year. Everywhere we turn the simple or complex pleasures we once enjoyed are unavailable. It has been a rough one.

The three travelers on this bicycle all looking in different directions adds to the symbolism. Whichever way we look, much is forbidden. Only the youngest will be able to know what’s ahead.

P3T3S wrote:

As 2020 crawls to close, our dreams and wishes for 2021 are more heart-felt than usual. 2020 has been debilitating in so many ways and has shown us numerous things that we have taken for granted in previous years, but will be precious from now on.

One wish many of us have is to see the world again. It is not the most profound or worthwhile wish, but at least I had a photo to illustrate it!

Best wishes for the New Year and may it be better than 2020, which shouldn't be too hard.

Pete

Sometimes here I run across an image I truly wish I’d taken, and this is one of them, though I’d settle for having seen it with my eyes.  I’ve been to this spot, but in summer, and with quiet seas. This is a remarkable catch. This is beautiful, powerful, and mesmerizing. Perfect timing, very well done.

MikePDX wrote:

Crashing Disappointment

Re: Look no further

That truly terrible craze never made it to the US as far as I know (at least not to the south) but I can surely see why you want never to revive the memories! I got a good laugh though.  Part of my fun with those birds is anthropomorphizing them and making up their stories. You’ve just put it to music!

Meow: Re: Look no further

Glad you like my dambirds. And Oh please talk to us some more. You’re as eloquent as any of the rest of us, and part of the fun of an international thread is the different perspectives and voices. Your story made me laugh out loud.

Re: Name This Dance

And I shall have to think of it whenever I visit the dam!

Fox328 wrote:

minniev wrote:

Dambirds in a winter dance.

Again a very beautiful Dambird picture but this time totally ruined by the remarks of Roel. How could you remember us at this song? I think only my grandma liked it. It might be a Dutch group but this might be one of the worsed products we've ever exported. How can i ever look at this very beautiful picture without thinking at this song?

Happy New Year!

They are like old friends, and oddly I never get tired of them. This time of year I’m seeing the first fishing expeditions of the young who hatched last spring, along with the experienced hands who are returning. They fight over fishing spots, over women. They worry over their looks. They get bored. It’s a lot like street photography, only with feathers.

MikePDX wrote:

minniev wrote:

These dam birds never cease to amaze me. I'm truly impressed that you have stuck with them. By now, they must be like old friends! I spent three months last spring following a few pairs of Osprey through the nesting cycle, and I felt like I got to know them just a bit.

I watched for the Cessna this morning!

This pair is arguing over a perch they both want. The larger, who is probably a year older, won the match handily. In the spring there will be more flirtations and posturing and a few gang wars.

P3T3S wrote:

minniev wrote:

You’ve caught a great moment here, and I like the ambiguity of the Connection between the birds. Is it aggression and fear? Is it a tender advance and coyness? Or is it a dance?

The only thing is the bright triangle of light on the left, which distracts away from the main subject of the birds. Maybe a crop, or simply a reduction in brightness could help.

Oh, and maybe try to include the Cessna flying overhead next time

Pete

MikePDX
MikePDX Senior Member • Posts: 2,203

Thanks so much for the comments! The thing I really like about this thread is that people are able/willing to offer different perspectives and opinions on an image. I get points of view that I might not have considered.

As for the tighter crop, I cropped down from the original 4:3 to a 3:2 ratio to clear up some offending driftwood in the near foreground. Maybe I went too far, but it seemed to be a good balance between wave, cliff, and negative space/sky. I will reconsider.

I also appreciate the B&W suggestion. I don't often consider that conversion because it isn't my "natural" way of seeing an image. In this case, I really wanted the angry green water in the wave to be prominent. I think the B&W version loses that characteristic.

I haven't shot this situation before. It takes a combination of extreme high tides, extreme high surf, offshore wind so as not to blow the waves over, and good afternoon sunshine. And it is a two hour drive from home, so I made use of a couple of surfer information sites to find the best combination of conditions.

The high tides and high surf generally happen in the winter months when we are most likely to get clouds and rain. So once you get all the stars to align, you are likely to find the beach crowded with photographers. That was the case on this day - all respectfully separated and wearing masks.

MikePDX wrote:

Crashing Disappointment

MikePDX's gear list:MikePDX's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III
Fox328 Senior Member • Posts: 1,581
Group reply

Thanks for all the nice comments and Paula for giving more background information, which makes it for me even more interesting to explore the surroundings of Jackson.

What i find interesting is that this virtual simulation seems to bridge distances we normally can not in this Corona-time. I found a video on Youtube with one of the programmers of the new Microsoft Flightsimulator 2020 in which he told that he has German roots and was not able to visit his family. He flew virtually to his hometown and talked to his family in a videocall about the current weather and felt somehow more connected. I think it is amazing how real it feels when using these kind of simulations even while it is not perfect yet. I've ordered an IR-tracker in the UK which will take things to the next level. With this device all movements of the head will be followed on the screen so i can have the feeling to truely look out of the cockpit window. It should have been delivered already but again the Coronavirus became a hurdle. So it has to be delivered this year after the Brexit, maybe with some extra customs tariffs .

But nothing beats the real thing. So I hope to make some real pictures again and that everythings becomes normal this year. Vaccinations are available so there is reason for hope.  So I wish everybody the best and a good photographic year!

Fox328's gear list:Fox328's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus E-400 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +7 more
Re: Only somewhat related..

MikePDX wrote:

..to the dance party song. If you want to get that music out of your head, try this. I found it amazing.

A different kind of dance party

Love it!

Fox328 Senior Member • Posts: 1,581
Re: Only somewhat related..

Thanks, you found a cure!

Fox328's gear list:Fox328's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus E-400 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads