How do I upload images on a monitor while shooting?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Thurnau Contributing Member • Posts: 533
How do I upload images on a monitor while shooting?

If I was shooting in front of a corporate client, what's the best way to allow the client/director to view the photos as I take them on my D500?

Is this "snap bridge" or is this a different software needed? This would be my first time attempting this.

It would be nice to see exposure though I use the curves on my screen just fine, but for micro-adjustments, composing model poses, and verifying lighting style, it would be nice to let the client see without running to a PC or trying to view on my tiny D500 screen. Also live feedback is good for reducing the workload later in Lr.

Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
photonut2008
photonut2008 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,921
Re: How do I upload images on a monitor while shooting?

Thurnau wrote:

If I was shooting in front of a corporate client, what's the best way to allow the client/director to view the photos as I take them on my D500?

Is this "snap bridge" or is this a different software needed? This would be my first time attempting this.

It would be nice to see exposure though I use the curves on my screen just fine, but for micro-adjustments, composing model poses, and verifying lighting style, it would be nice to let the client see without running to a PC or trying to view on my tiny D500 screen. Also live feedback is good for reducing the workload later in Lr.

I would presume that the best way to go is to use a laptop and Capture One. See:

https://learn.captureone.com/blog-posts/shooting-tethered-with-capture-one-pro-7/

-- hide signature --

DPR, the first place to go before you get things right (wherever that ends up being)

photonut2008's gear list:photonut2008's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +13 more
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 21,207

photonut2008 wrote:

I would presume that the best way to go is to use a laptop and Capture One. See:

https://learn.captureone.com/blog-posts/shooting-tethered-with-capture-one-pro-7/

Lightroom for those who use it have had a similar facility - for several years.

The D500 has a USB type 3 socket. Cables of several lengths are available to connect to a laptop.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +25 more
sandiegosteve
sandiegosteve Forum Member • Posts: 70

Look up "tethering". It allows you to directly connect your camera to instantly see your image on your computer. I'll bet there are some good videos tutorials on how to do it.

sandiegosteve's gear list:sandiegosteve's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
blueknigh7 Regular Member • Posts: 284

sandiegosteve wrote:

Look up "tethering". It allows you to directly connect your camera to instantly see your image on your computer. I'll bet there are some good videos tutorials on how to do it.

Option 1:

Yep, this is the feature you're looking for. You'll need your camera, a USB cable to connect your camera to laptop, and software with the tether feature. Power adapters are optional, depending on the length of the shoot.

Both LR and CaptureOne have this feature, but you'll want to test it before going onsite to get the hang of it.

Definitely the more "professional" method when one thinks of reviewing at a photoshoot and the ideas you get when watching movies.

OPTION 2:

If you're referring to simple viewing, per the manual, I think it's also possible to just hookup an HDMI cable to a monitor or TV from the camera. You should be able to simply use it for playback as you would the back screen, or as a dual screen that can mirror live view mode.

This might be easy if you're already shooting say in a board room with a large screen. But if this is true, you should also be able to project your laptop onto this screen when using Option #1. Beware of badly calibrated screens when making color adjustments though.

blueknigh7's gear list:blueknigh7's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +3 more
OP Thurnau Contributing Member • Posts: 533

blueknigh7 wrote:

sandiegosteve wrote:

Option 1:

Yep, this is the feature you're looking for. You'll need your camera, a USB cable to connect your camera to laptop, and software with the tether feature. Power adapters are optional, depending on the length of the shoot.

Both LR and CaptureOne have this feature, but you'll want to test it before going onsite to get the hang of it.

Definitely the more "professional" method when one thinks of reviewing at a photoshoot and the ideas you get when watching movies.

OPTION 2:

If you're referring to simple viewing, per the manual, I think it's also possible to just hookup an HDMI cable to a monitor or TV from the camera. You should be able to simply use it for playback as you would the back screen, or as a dual screen that can mirror live view mode.

This might be easy if you're already shooting say in a board room with a large screen. But if this is true, you should also be able to project your laptop onto this screen when using Option #1. Beware of badly calibrated screens when making color adjustments though.

Are any of these tethered options wireless? I knew a photographer that gave me the idea, but his only works with Sony, and only with Sony software. I was hoping Nikon had something similar.

Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 21,207

Thurnau wrote:

Are any of these tethered options wireless?

Nikon and Canon have accessories that can do this.

They are often used for transmitting jpg images from 20 MP pro bodies to perhaps a sports editors desk.

If you want to send RAW files from a 45 MP camera - transfer time is usually relatively slow.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +25 more

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Thurnau wrote:

Are any of these tethered options wireless?

Nikon and Canon have accessories that can do this.

They are often used for transmitting jpg images from 20 MP pro bodies to perhaps a sports editors desk.

If you want to send RAW files from a 45 MP camera - transfer time is usually relatively slow.

Loosely, do you know what this is even called so I can read up about it? jpeg would be perfect, if I can configure RAW for my card, and jpeg to a slideshow viewer (or whatever the software is, or Lr, or Capture one). This is a completely new workflow for me.

Now that I know a little more, "wireless tethering" seems to have a lot of info in DPreview. Thanks for the lead on the right path!

So far, I'm reading AirNEF is a program that allows me to use the camera's outdated wifi to slowly transfer files to a PC, but if I do low quality jpeg + RAW, and upload the low quality jpeg that's still probably high enough resolution for what I need.

I'll be reading up, but please share if you have any more great ideas!

I'm also not looking for freeware, if there is a great paid software or hardware solution I don't mind paying for it if it's easy and reliable.

photonut2008
photonut2008 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,921

I would just by a cord and use Capture One 21 for Nikon which currently costs $129. I just read that in two days Phase One is going to raise the price of this app to $199. I like the app for doing B&W conversions with my D800 and D500 or just to get a different look that I like better than ACR from Photoshop and Lightroom (which I pay $10 a month for a subscription to both programs).

-- hide signature --

DPR, where gear is king and photography merely a jester

photonut2008's gear list:photonut2008's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads