Is there such a thing as textured backdrop surfaces in roll form?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
certo666 New Member • Posts: 23
Is there such a thing as textured backdrop surfaces in roll form?

So I'm slowly piecing a portable lighting kit together for product photography and I'm looking for backdrops and surfaces for various scenes. Bulky wood panels aren't feasible for me to transport at the moment (no car).

Ideally I would like some wooden surfaces for certain types of product shots. However for portability I would prefer something in a roll-form.

The problem as I see it:
It seems most (if not all) of the vinyl backdrops I've seen are just printed photos of wood, and don't have any sort of texture bevel/embossing. I can see this becoming a problem when lighting from certain angles (e.g. unnatural sheen on the dark shadowed ridges)

Is there any company producing authentic textured wooden backdrops in roll form? Maybe I'm being too pedantic Would love to hear your thoughts in any case!

certo666's gear list:certo666's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Seedeich Senior Member • Posts: 2,963
Re: Is there such a thing as textured backdrop surfaces in roll form?

Can’t think of any wood textured backdrop rolls.
But maybe have a look at fabric for upholstery. There are lots of colours and textures available.

-- hide signature --
stateit
stateit Senior Member • Posts: 1,392

2.4m x 1.2m x 5mm plywood veneer sheets from £25 here in the UK.

They're flexible enough to roll. They're sanded/planed fairly flat so don't have much grain raised or showing. From your local woodworking suppliers.

I guess you can get more esoteric woods as well.

[edit] Some steam on them will raise the grain. [/edit]

-- hide signature --
 stateit's gear list:stateit's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Sony a7 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +10 more
OP certo666 New Member • Posts: 23

Hi stateit, thanks for your response.
I've seen vinyl flooring but lack of texture is the problem. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by steaming them. Would you mind explaining how this would work? I'm assuming you mean that the vinyl has a thin layer of wood on the surface but would that make it impossible to roll?

When I think of plywood I think of that chipboard type stuff we had on our cupboards when we were little haha. Is it really rollable?

certo666's gear list:certo666's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +5 more
mactrash Regular Member • Posts: 469

certo666 wrote:

So I'm slowly piecing a portable lighting kit together for product photography and I'm looking for backdrops and surfaces for various scenes. Bulky wood panels aren't feasible for me to transport at the moment (no car).

Ideally I would like some wooden surfaces for certain types of product shots. However for portability I would prefer something in a roll-form.

The problem as I see it:
It seems most (if not all) of the vinyl backdrops I've seen are just printed photos of wood, and don't have any sort of texture bevel/embossing. I can see this becoming a problem when lighting from certain angles (e.g. unnatural sheen on the dark shadowed ridges)

Is there any company producing authentic textured wooden backdrops in roll form? Maybe I'm being too pedantic Would love to hear your thoughts in any case!

Try take a look those pvc floor (fake wood) although they can't really roll but they come with strip that can fit in some lightstand bag easily.

-- hide signature --
 mactrash's gear list:mactrash's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-3
Ed Shapiro
Ed Shapiro Regular Member • Posts: 362

Here is a link to Denny Manufacturing Co. This page shows their roll-up floor drops- quite a variety.

https://dennymfg.com/collections/wood-floordrops.

Another source of all kinds of background and prop material is the Set Shop in New York City-  setshop.com

I do quite a volume of product photography and I find that, in most cases, if you want the authentic texture of wood, you really need to use real wood. Of course, lighting has lots to do with the rendition of texture as to direction, angle of incidence, and feathering techniques. How you ligh any given object depends on the reflective surface of the item and the nature of the wooden background. It's easy enough to render texture in Barnwood and not end up with unwanted glare or reflections, however, highly polished or French polished furniture type woods may require a polarizing filter and that needs to be compatible with the product. The type of wood also should be compatible with the product. In the attached images, I used bamboo for the Asian fish dish and an actual cutting board for the sandwich. The bagels required a bakery prep table and basket-weave material. The lighting accentuated texture in the products and the wood.

-- hide signature --

Ed Shapiro- Commercial and Portrait Photographer. Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Darrell Spreen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,838
You can make your own

If you're planning to use it only for small product photography, where the setup will not be a large area, you can buy lightweight boards (barn wood in slat form) from the local hobby store and glue them close together on a piece of cloth. You can then roll and unroll the cloth -- not too cumbersome if it's reasonable size.

I don't know of any roll with natural wood texture like this.

-- hide signature --

DS

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads