Seamless paper background stands, C-stand advice needed.

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Thurnau Contributing Member • Posts: 533
Seamless paper background stands, C-stand advice needed.

I'm not loving my Manfrotto stand I've bought.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/648381-REG/Manfrotto_1314B_Background_Support_System.html

I need it to go about a foot taller; the big footprint requires a lot of distance from the wall, and it's not very heavy/stable.

I'm thinking of C-stands. Are these a good idea? Or is there something else I need to look into?

C-stands seem to have a smaller footprint, and the uneven leg pattern seems to allow placement closer to a wall (I think it's just height staggered, perhaps all legs are equally long?), and the seems to have a higher weight capacity.

While I don't mind sandbagging for stability (9 foot rolls are heavy with a high center gravity after all), is the C-stand less stable because of its unique footprint?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
OP Thurnau Contributing Member • Posts: 533
Re: Seamless paper background stands, C-stand advice needed.

It looks like C-stands aren't air cushioned, does that rule them out as a good choice for working with?

Rico Tudor Contributing Member • Posts: 843

Unless you employ wall-mounted support, a stable footprint means there will a gap between wall and backdrop. I use the same Manfrotto crossbar as you, but vertical support comes from Matthews Beefy Baby light stands which are both strong and as high as you want (2- and 3-riser versions).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/139498-REG/Matthews_387030_Hollywood_Beefy_Baby_Stand.html

C-stands are not designed for this purpose.

-- hide signature --

Canon, Nikon, Contax RTS, Leica M, Sony, Profoto

OP Thurnau Contributing Member • Posts: 533

Rico Tudor wrote:

Unless you employ wall-mounted support, a stable footprint means there will a gap between wall and backdrop. I use the same Manfrotto crossbar as you, but vertical support comes from Matthews Beefy Baby light stands which are both strong and as high as you want (2- and 3-riser versions).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/139498-REG/Matthews_387030_Hollywood_Beefy_Baby_Stand.html

C-stands are not designed for this purpose.

This stand also has a small footprint, nearly a foot smaller than the manfrotto that my kit came with and very close to the c-stand footprint.

Rico Tudor Contributing Member • Posts: 843

This stand also has a small footprint, nearly a foot smaller than the manfrotto that my kit came with and very close to the c-stand footprint.

Because there is no industry standard for measuring footprint, I avoid comparing published figures between brands. The Manfrotto looks equal to the Matthews, or even smaller. Beefy Baby is a Hollywood staple and, in my experience, handles the Manfrotto crossbar in my studio at 8.5' elevation with aplomb:

I own stands with much larger footprint but those would be gross overkill for a supporting a b/d. If you have some target footprint in mind, I can recommend a qualifying light stand.

-- hide signature --

Canon, Nikon, Contax RTS, Leica M, Sony, Profoto

tcphoto1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,175

I use two C Stands with Hollywood Arms to hold seamless paper. Yes, a couple sandbags will give you peace of mind but not essential. Besides, the stands can be used multiple ways.

tcphoto1's gear list:tcphoto1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +10 more
RRRPhoto New Member • Posts: 11

C stands were the answer for me. I use Kupo grip turtle bases and have numerous length columns from super short to very tall.  I love the versatility in my  studio and the way these break down for transport for on-location work. C stands  are professional products built like a tank so they will last your whole career (and your grand kids careers too). If u are an enthusiast or casual shooter, C stands may not be the best option as they are pricy and heavier than collapsible stands, but if u never wanna have a complaint about a stand again, move to C stands and sand bags. Best of luck.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads