D5200 with Sigma 1.4x 1401 tele converter on Sigma 150-600c, will it autofocus?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
PerAE Contributing Member • Posts: 519
D5200 with Sigma 1.4x 1401 tele converter on Sigma 150-600c, will it autofocus?

Hi,

I have a Nikon D5200 and a Sigma 150-600 contemporary lens and wonder if this combination will autofocus with a Sigma 1401 1.4x tele converter on it?

I know that on paper it won’t because the aperture will be something like F9 and that I’ll have to have a D7x00 for it to autofocus on that, but I wonder if somebody have tried it in real life?

I saw a post somewhere about it working on another d5x00 model, I think, but I’m not sure.

( I plan to upgrade to a d7100 or d7200 when I come across a used one at a reasonable price)

Nikon D5200 Nikon D7100 Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jocksa
Jocksa Senior Member • Posts: 1,052
Probably not

I don’t have these so I can’t say for certain but since no-one has offered you a first hand answer I’ll tell you what I do know.

I have a 70-200 f/4 and with a TC-20 this becomes an f/8 setup. On a D7100, the autofocus isn’t useable. It drives the focus back and forward and occasionally locks on but not reliably. With a TC-17 and effective aperture of f/6.7, it’s much better and on a D500 in particular, it’s a very useable setup.

So I’m guessing on that basis that the jump from f/6.3 to f/9 would be the straw that broke the camel’s back when it comes to AF.

-- hide signature --

“Stand in front of something more interesting.”

Jocksa's gear list:Jocksa's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED +7 more
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 12,418
Expensive route to poor quality images

I've tried teleconverters (TC) in the distant past but obtained better image quality simply by cropping. TC + consumer zoom lens=poor images generally. On a top notch prime a TC might in good light might give acceptable results.

I've seen passable results with 1.4 x TC on a Nik 70-200/F2.8 but still not stunning.

Save your money. How many pixels do you need anyway? What will you do with the images?

Jocksa
Re: Expensive route to poor quality images

David Lal wrote:

I've tried teleconverters (TC) in the distant past but obtained better image quality simply by cropping. TC + consumer zoom lens=poor images generally. On a top notch prime a TC might in good light might give acceptable results.

I've seen passable results with 1.4 x TC on a Nik 70-200/F2.8 but still not stunning.

Save your money. How many pixels do you need anyway? What will you do with the images?

Both zooms and teleconverters have come a long way optically. The 70-200/4 I mentioned above is widely accepted as being optically very good. I did some tests with the 2x TC and found that at some lens settings the quality of the image was better with the TC than without. So for example, with the lens at 100mm and the 2x TC, the image was better than the lens on its own at 200mm.

What this means is that the degradation caused by a modern teleconverter on a compatible lens is within the limits of the difference in quality along the range of a zoom that is already acknowledged as pretty sharp.

The thread is here if you're interested How bad is a 2x teleconverter on f/4 telezoom?: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com) To save you reading beyond the first post, Picture 1 is with the teleconverter.

As I said above, despite decent optical performance, f/8 just wouldn't support reliable AF so I chopped the 2x for a 1.7x.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D7100 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED +7 more
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 12,418
Yes but ...

Jocksa wrote:

Both zooms and teleconverters have come a long way optically.

Jocksa, I am sure you are right. Even so, images I see here and on other photographic website where a teleconverter has been used with a zoom lens, particularly bird images, fail to impress me. Of course, now and again there are exceptions.

Jocksa
Re: Yes but ...

David Lal wrote:

Jocksa wrote:

Both zooms and teleconverters have come a long way optically.

Jocksa, I am sure you are right. Even so, images I see here and on other photographic website where a teleconverter has been used with a zoom lens, particularly bird images, fail to impress me. Of course, now and again there are exceptions.

David, firstly I wouldn't question your experience, and I hope you won't think me argumentative, but I like to experiment and when I find something that challenges my preconceptions, I think it's worth sharing.

Given that it's cold and dark, I thought I would recreate the previous test but this time leave the focal length of the lens unchanged so that any change in quality can only be attributed to the teleconverter.

Again, the test is which one is with and which without the teleconverter (with apologies to the OP as this has nothing to do with AF).

Picture 1

Picture 2

I can't tell them apart without reference to the filename.

-- hide signature --

OP PerAE Contributing Member • Posts: 519
Re: Yes but ...

Hi, thanks for all the answers!

My original question kind of lost it’s meaning because I’ve since bought a used d7200, but the need for longer reach is still there so it’s very interesting to hear your experiences with tele converters.

The reason that I need more reach is that I enjoy photographing white tailed eagles. They’re really shy and since they chose to sit on the highest points of islands and mountains with a clear view in every direction they’re really, really hard to get close too.

They will fly away as soon as they see you if you get too close, and they always see you and their idea of what close is is very different from mine:)

technicsplayer. Senior Member • Posts: 2,046
Re: D5200 with Sigma 1.4x 1401 tele converter on Sigma 150-600c, will it autofocus?

PerAE wrote:

Hi,

I have a Nikon D5200 and a Sigma 150-600 contemporary lens and wonder if this combination will autofocus with a Sigma 1401 1.4x tele converter on it?

I've got a D5600 with 150-600 and the APO 1.4 and have no problem with birds in daylight.

technicsplayer.'s gear list:technicsplayer.'s gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm FinePix F900EXR Nikon D5600 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads