rechargeable AA batteries and charger

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Arvind Balaraman Regular Member • Posts: 166
rechargeable AA batteries and charger

Looking to get some rechargeable AA batteries and charger for my transmitter. What is a good brand. I have been using eneloop till date and they dont seem to hold power for long

-- hide signature --

Rgds
Arvind Balaraman

Don89 Senior Member • Posts: 1,884
Re: rechargeable AA batteries and charger

Fujitsu batteries are made in Japan.   Reliable decent batteries.    Eneloop are China made these days

-- hide signature --

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

Don89's gear list:Don89's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR +1 more
rumple
rumple Senior Member • Posts: 1,683

Arvind Balaraman wrote:

Looking to get some rechargeable AA batteries and charger for my transmitter. What is a good brand. I have been using eneloop till date and they dont seem to hold power for long

Charger:

Powerex MH-C980. Smart and fast.

Batteries:

Powerex Pro Rechargeable AA.  I have many of the predessor batteries from 2013, still working with almost their original capacity.

-- hide signature --

"THINK" - Watson

Guillermo Shashte Senior Member • Posts: 1,011

The best charger you can get for the price and features is the Opus BT-V3100

Review

More .. .

ebay

For Godox/Flashpoint use Alkaline instead.

-- hide signature --

GS

S Castle
S Castle Senior Member • Posts: 1,219

Guillermo Shashte wrote:

For Godox/Flashpoint use Alkaline instead.

I think this might be only to get more voltage. NiMh AA batteries' full-charge voltage is 1.2V while alkalines start at 1.5V (or maybe higher - I don't have one here to test).

My take is, if rechargeables work, use them.

-- hide signature --

Shane

Guillermo Shashte Senior Member • Posts: 1,011

scastle wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_tF9mdLIsA

-- hide signature --

GS

S Castle
S Castle Senior Member • Posts: 1,219

Guillermo Shashte wrote:

scastle wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_tF9mdLIsA

"The trigger is designed for regular alkaline batteries." Well. That's a major design flaw, IMO.

-- hide signature --

Shane

mek42 Regular Member • Posts: 174

That is for the trigger (possibly also transceivers).  What about the speedlights themselves?

mek42's gear list:mek42's gear list
Nikon D2Hs
Gato Amarillo Veteran Member • Posts: 7,678

mek42 wrote:

That is for the trigger (possibly also transceivers). What about the speedlights themselves?

Speedlights do fine on rechargeables.

The info on alkaline applies to the trigger.

tugwilson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,255

Arvind Balaraman wrote:

Triggers use very little power so they are often designed to use batteries that provide 1.5 volts rather than ~1.2 volts that a normal rechargeable battery delivers when fully charged. In doing so they will generally report that the battery needs replacing a long time before it actually does. So it's possible that your batteries are actually holding power it's just that the trigger is misreporting the amount of energy left.

Because triggers use very little power compared to speedlights it's very common to leave batteries in them for long periods of time. That means that there's a danger of a battery leak which can render the trigger useless. That's why I recommend you use non rechargeable lithium batteries like the Energiser. They will register correctly with the trigger, last a very long time and not leak.

GossCTP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,644

tugwilson wrote:

Arvind Balaraman wrote:

Triggers use very little power so they are often designed to use batteries that provide 1.5 volts rather than ~1.2 volts that a normal rechargeable battery delivers when fully charged. In doing so they will generally report that the battery needs replacing a long time before it actually does. So it's possible that your batteries are actually holding power it's just that the trigger is misreporting the amount of energy left.

Most of the Pentax DSLRs that used AAs had this problem. The battery meter was basically a volt meter that relied on the linear voltage discharge of alkalines to display properly.

Because triggers use very little power compared to speedlights it's very common to leave batteries in them for long periods of time. That means that there's a danger of a battery leak which can render the trigger useless. That's why I recommend you use non rechargeable lithium batteries like the Energiser. They will register correctly with the trigger, last a very long time and not leak.

Never had a nickle based battery leak that I can recall. Had many alkaline batteries ruin devices. I'll take my chances on the rechargeables. The single use lithium batteries are too expensive for the benefit in this situation to me.

-- hide signature --

"Law and order" is anathema to liberty and justice.

GossCTP's gear list:GossCTP's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K20D Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 WR +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads