ZEISS Milvus 50mm f/1.4

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
jwpnyc Junior Member • Posts: 47
ZEISS Milvus 50mm f/1.4

I am thinking of buying Zeiss Milvus 50 f/1.4 lens. But I am not good at manual focusing. If I understand it correctly, I can hold the back button AF-ON on my Canon 5D IV and hear the beep once the Milvus is in focus. This way is much easy to focus manually. Please let me know.

Here is a photo to show the bottom of Milvus 50mm

jwpnyc's gear list:jwpnyc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Blind Bill
Blind Bill Contributing Member • Posts: 988
Re: ZEISS Milvus 50mm f/1.4

I recently sold my 5D III but I learned to use the focus light in the view finder.  It was pretty accurate too in that model but I'm not sure what the 5D IV gives you. I own the Zeiss Milvus 50 f/2 Macro - it is a wonderful lens (as is the 50 1.4).  For me, I think the hardest part about these lenses is you have to force yourself to slow down, think about your composition and focus.  I also use my tripod on a majority of my shooting with all my Zeiss MF lenses. Once you master focus you're going to be very happy with the quality of your images.

Blind Bill's gear list:Blind Bill's gear list
Sony a7R III Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Zeiss Milvus 15mm F2.8 Zeiss Milvus 50mm F2 Macro Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +1 more
OP jwpnyc Junior Member • Posts: 47

Thanks for replying!

So, did you use autofocus to assist manual focus? Does the Milvus have the function and let you use autofocus as an assistant?

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM +1 more
Blind Bill

jwpnyc wrote:

Thanks for replying!

So, did you use autofocus to assist manual focus? Does the Milvus have the function and let you use autofocus as an assistant?

No, there is not autofocus with the Zeiss lens. It all came down to careful examination of the rear LCD (on the 5D III). I sold it and switched to a Sony a7r iii recently which allows me to use its custom programs for critical manual focus. I don't know what the 5D IV has in its programs to assist you. I can assure you that when done right the Zeiss lens is pure magic!

Sony a7R III Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Zeiss Milvus 15mm F2.8 Zeiss Milvus 50mm F2 Macro Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +1 more

Just received the lens. It works as I guessed. When I turned the focus ring and held the back AF-ON button at the same time,  the camera will beep if the lens in focus. It is much easier than looking through the viewfinder.

The initial impression is the lens is very contrasty and sharp. I have never used a manual focus lens. It is time to do a lot of practice.

Blind Bill

jwpnyc wrote:

Just received the lens. It works as I guessed. When I turned the focus ring and held the back AF-ON button at the same time, the camera will beep if the lens in focus. It is much easier than looking through the viewfinder.

The initial impression is the lens is very contrasty and sharp. I have never used a manual focus lens. It is time to do a lot of practice.

I enjoy mine a lot.  Don’t forget to start using the tripod. I hope you really like it.

Colin Dutton Regular Member • Posts: 248

jwpnyc wrote:

Just received the lens. It works as I guessed. When I turned the focus ring and held the back AF-ON button at the same time, the camera will beep if the lens in focus. It is much easier than looking through the viewfinder.

I have the Milvus 50mm f1.4 which I use on a Nikon. It's a beautiful lens, nicely sharp at f1.4 across the frame with lovely rendering and transition to out-of-focus which I love for close portraits. Stopped down it's incredibly sharp and punchy with great colour. It's a pretty flexible lens and still surprises me when I open the files. The only thing that lets it down is the CA in certain situations at a wide aperture. Apart from that it's one of my favourites. Hope you enjoy yours.

Colin

Colin Dutton's gear list:Colin Dutton's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-H1

Yes. I did some test photos. My major complaint is the shadows beyond the focus plane have green castings. It is really ugly. Otherwise, the lens renders color nicely and beautifully.

Details at 400%. It shows chromatic aberrations.

These photos show the shadows beyond the focus plane have green castings.

pluton Veteran Member • Posts: 3,429

You need an apochromatic lens. Why not just stop down to a smaller aperture?

-- hide signature --

-KB-

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads