Strobe / Continuous LED Hybrid?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
DVideo Junior Member • Posts: 31
Strobe / Continuous LED Hybrid?

Still exploring lighting options for the studio and on site.

Is there anything like an LED panel that can simulate a strobe burst for like a headshot but also be a continuous light for video shoots?

I've done continuous lighting for headshots and it makes the models squint.

Maybe an all in one is a pipe dream.

Thanks.

tugwilson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,082
Re: Strobe / Continuous LED Hybrid?

Yes the Rotolight Neo 2 does that.The Godox LF308 and FV150/FV200 also do that. I would not recommend any of them.

OP DVideo Junior Member • Posts: 31

Hmm I really liked what I saw with the FV200. What is your concern with them?

jlafferty Senior Member • Posts: 1,362

FV150/200 look decent to me, if you need it. Probably the biggest drawback is that it's neither an especially powerful constant light, nor flash. And the flashes which are just as, or a bit more powerful, are considerably smaller (e.g. AD200, AD300).

I have and use both the VL150 & 300. I find 150 fine for headshots, 300 just barely good for 3/4 length. They're both really good lights, especially for what you pay.

DVideo wrote:

-- hide signature --

http://jimlafferty.com
General scoundrel. Evocative beats academic.

OP DVideo Junior Member • Posts: 31

Thanks. I'm coming from one of two setups, a 580EX and two cheap optical flashes or B. some old fluorescent softboxes.

For me something like this would be ideal because I could use it for photo or video and FLV200s it would be brighter than what I have now. I'd probably buy 2.

The only thing I don't like is I can't change the color of the lights like I can with LED panels.

DVideo wrote:

They are a strong modeling lights combined with a  weak strobe,   Learn how to light with  continuous lights or with strobes,

Benjamin Kanarek
Benjamin Kanarek Veteran Member • Posts: 4,936
 Benjamin Kanarek's gear list:Benjamin Kanarek's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm X-T20 +44 more
Benjamin Kanarek

DVideo wrote:

There is no concern. If you have a fast lens and in body or lens stabilization, you can do full-body shots in both continuous and strobe modes. I will use the #Godox #FV200 for my next up and coming shoot.

Benjamin Kanarek

tugwilson wrote:

DVideo wrote:

They are a strong modeling lights combined with a weak strobe, Learn how to light with continuous lights or with strobes,

Are you kidding me? It is way more powerful than the Apurture 120D and 300D. Where isn't it powerful enough for continuous lighting.

Check out this comparison: https://youtu.be/l2PuSqDEV68

I have been a photographer for 35 years and used Mandarine, HMI's, flash system etc...

FV200 is more powerful than the Apurtue 300D.

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:

tugwilson wrote:

DVideo wrote:

They are a strong modeling lights combined with a weak strobe, Learn how to light with continuous lights or with strobes,

Are you kidding me? It is way more powerful than the Apurture 120D and 300D. Where isn't it powerful enough for continuous lighting.

I have been a photographer for 35 years and used Mandarine, HMI's, flash system etc...

Yes, I think I referenced this video earlier in the thread on the launch of this light, It clearly demonstrates that the light will act as a very strong modeling light. I don't think Robert has done any measurements of it in strobe mode. However others have claimed that it's a little less powerful than a GN 60 speedlight when the speedlight is zoomed wide. So I don't think my description of the light is unfair.

My view is that it's not a light of general interest. I'm quite sure that there are niches which it can occupy and I'm keen to find out if you've found one.

Benjamin Kanarek

tugwilson wrote:

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:

tugwilson wrote:

DVideo wrote:

Yes, I think I referenced this video earlier in the thread on the launch of this light, It clearly demonstrates that the light will act as a very strong modeling light. I don't think Robert has done any measurements of it in strobe mode. However others have claimed that it's a little less powerful than a GN 60 speedlight when the speedlight is zoomed wide. So I don't think my description of the light is unfair.

My view is that it's not a light of general interest. I'm quite sure that there are niches which it can occupy and I'm keen to find out if you've found one.

I also bought the GODOX SL60W as a second light source.

MichaelFrederickPhoto
MichaelFrederickPhoto Regular Member • Posts: 410

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:

Just got my Godox FV200. Very powerful light and will have no problem shooting full shots in continuous lighting and in strobe as well.

Hi Ben,

I am interested in the FV200 as well,  have you done any testing on the power of the strobe.  What I am looking to see is there enough power to shoot it in a 36/38 at F8 1/125 or 1/160?

What attracts me of the light is to use for food photography and when I do modeling shoots that the "lack of power" actually works for it to shoot at F1.4-F2 and a moderate speed that I can get more of a natural light look then the obvious flash pop.

-- hide signature --

https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/159695193@N02/albums
Nikon D810, Tamron G2 70-200 F/2.8, Nikon 16-35 F/4, Nikon 20mm 1.8G & Nikon 50mm 1.8G

Benjamin Kanarek

MichaelFrederickPhoto wrote:

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:

Just got my Godox FV200. Very powerful light and will have no problem shooting full shots in continuous lighting and in strobe as well.

Hi Ben,

I am interested in the FV200 as well, have you done any testing on the power of the strobe. What I am looking to see is there enough power to shoot it in a 36/38 at F8 1/125 or 1/160?

What attracts me of the light is to use for food photography and when I do modeling shoots that the "lack of power" actually works for it to shoot at F1.4-F2 and a moderate speed that I can get more of a natural light look then the obvious flash pop.

Hello,

No, you cannot shoot at f/8.0 at 1/125th of a second unless you raise the iso considerably. I will use both of my units using either a shoot-through umbrella or shoot-through softbox. If you want full body shots at around 2 meters and to shoot at optimal iso, you will need to shoot from f/1.4 to f/2.0. Due to that restriction, I will only keep my smaller Godox sl-60w for video or secondary ambient light, but use flash as my primary light when shooting indoors i.e. AD200, MS300, TT685 with PB960's or AD600. I have sent back the FV200 for the above reason. It does not freeze movement like a strobe can. I always mix ambient and flash when shooting interiors unless I have tons of daylight. The SL60W will work for mixing flash and ambient or for close up stuff.

MichaelFrederickPhoto
MichaelFrederickPhoto Regular Member • Posts: 410

Awesome!  thank you for that so I won't waste my money!

Just followed you on IG,  fantastic work !!!

-- hide signature --

https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/159695193@N02/albums
Nikon D810, Tamron G2 70-200 F/2.8, Nikon 16-35 F/4, Nikon 20mm 1.8G & Nikon 50mm 1.8G

Benjamin Kanarek

MichaelFrederickPhoto wrote:

Awesome! thank you for that so I won't waste my money!

Just followed you on IG, fantastic work !!!

Thank You, Michael...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads