Tips for Using Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
jwpnyc Junior Member • Posts: 47
Tips for Using Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM

In a separate thread, I complained that I had some trouble to use 50mm f1.2. So, I decided to buy a Canon EF 35mm f1.4. The 35mm is expensive, fast, and sharp. However, I still miss the feel of the 50mm focal length and the wide-open aperture of the 50mm f1.2.

I noticed that 35mm has a different perspective compared to 50mm. Do any experienced users have any tips for me about using the 35mm? Thanks in advance!

jwpnyc's gear list:jwpnyc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM +1 more
José B
José B Forum Pro • Posts: 19,521
Re: Tips for Using Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM

jwpnyc wrote:

In a separate thread, I complained that I had some trouble to use 50mm f1.2. So, I decided to buy a Canon EF 35mm f1.4. The 35mm is expensive, fast, and sharp. However, I still miss the feel of the 50mm focal length and the wide-open aperture of the 50mm f1.2.

I noticed that 35mm has a different perspective compared to 50mm. Do any experienced users have any tips for me about using the 35mm? Thanks in advance!

The 35mm on full-frame is a versatile lens. You can use it for landscape, architecture, street photography and environmental portraits. It's a great travel lens too and indoor settings.

There are a few 'how to use a 35mm lens' tutorials on the web.

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Sony a6500 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +13 more
J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 18,048

I actually prefer 35mm to 50mm (and I own both).

Typical use would be an "environmental portrait". Do not get too close, frame at least half of the body, open it wide. Here is a nice photo (not mine). You can search the Flickr groups.

tcphoto1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,174

I own the 50L and love it but I miss the 35L that I sold about five years ago. As with any fast lens, you have to use good technique when shooting wide open. I love the look of shooting at close range with the 35L and hope to find a deal on a 35LII in the future. Enjoy yours

tcphoto1's gear list:tcphoto1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +10 more
José B
José B Forum Pro • Posts: 19,521
Versatility

José B wrote:

jwpnyc wrote:

The 35mm on full-frame is a versatile lens. You can use it for landscape, architecture, street photography and environmental portraits. It's a great travel lens too and indoor settings.

There are a few 'how to use a 35mm lens' tutorials on the web.

It's got a lot of cropping power for a half body shot

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Sony a6500 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +13 more
JerryriggedTECH
JerryriggedTECH Senior Member • Posts: 1,088

jwpnyc wrote:

We have a lot of the same gear! I have the new RF 50mm f/1.2L, and the 35mm f/1.4L II. Now the 50 is just awesome... But the 35 f/1.4L II is every bit as special! Some of my all-time favorite images taken with that 35. I remember when I first got the 35, my impression that everything was easy with this lens... fast and accurate focus, great color, low light, no problems! Now on the 5D4, you still need to do your micro-focus adjust, but on my EOS Rs, there is no need for that.

Despite the new 50 being so awesome, I still probably use the 35 more.

-- hide signature --

Jerryrigged
http://www.rightshotphotography.com
https://500px.com/jerrymcmurphy
EOS R (x2), 5D4
EF-S 10-18 IS STM
EF Zooms: 16-35 f/4L, 24-70 f/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II,
EF/RF Primes: 35mm f/1.4L II, RF 50 f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.4L IS, 100mm f/2.8L Macro

JerryriggedTECH's gear list:JerryriggedTECH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +5 more
J A C S

JerryriggedTECH wrote:

jwpnyc wrote:

We have a lot of the same gear! I have the new RF 50mm f/1.2L, and the 35mm f/1.4L II. Now the 50 is just awesome... But the 35 f/1.4L II is every bit as special! Some of my all-time favorite images taken with that 35. I remember when I first got the 35, my impression that everything was easy with this lens... fast and accurate focus, great color, low light, no problems! Now on the 5D4, you still need to do your micro-focus adjust, but on my EOS Rs, there is no need for that.

Despite the new 50 being so awesome, I still probably use the 35 more.

Great samples. Just a quick note that my 35LII did not require any MA on my 5D4 but then none of my other lenses did. I am shooting with the R now.

OP jwpnyc Junior Member • Posts: 47

Thanks for replying! Amazing images!

My wife used to love the EF 85mm f/1.4 and wants me to use the 85mm only. Now, she gets another option. The 35mm is really that good.

I also have Sigma 40mm f/1.4. The Sigma 40mm is a very nice lens and very sharp. However, something is missing when I compared the Sigma with Canon 85 and 35. I may get rid of the Sigma later on.

Canon RF 50mm f/1.2 is my next lens. But I don't have Canon mirrorless yet. For me, I usually don't buy 1st edition camera. I am waiting for R5 Mark 2. I may have to wait for a long time though.

jwpnyc's gear list:jwpnyc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM +1 more
Occams Razor Senior Member • Posts: 1,109

I think the problem is that you are buying a lens and trying to find a purpose.  You really should have a vision of what you want to capture and find a lens that can best do that.  It looks like you have a couple of nice zoom lenses in your collection.   A good place to start is to study what subjects you like to shoot and the focal lengths you like to shoot at.  Maybe neither a 35 or 50mm prime is your thing.

-- hide signature --

Randy

Occams Razor's gear list:Occams Razor's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +3 more
J A C S

Occams Razor wrote:

I think the problem is that you are buying a lens and trying to find a purpose. You really should have a vision of what you want to capture and find a lens that can best do that. It looks like you have a couple of nice zoom lenses in your collection. A good place to start is to study what subjects you like to shoot and the focal lengths you like to shoot at. Maybe neither a 35 or 50mm prime is your thing.

I discovered fast WA lenses many years ago when I rented the 24/1.4 on my then crop camera without knowing what I would do with it. Having such a tool gave me opportunities I did not have and in your words, I found a purpose for such lenses. Since then, 35mm eq. is my favorite FL for fast lenses.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads