darktable 3.4.0 released:

https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/releases

Also there is a new, updated manual.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Keit ll Veteran Member • Posts: 5,037
Re: darktable 3.4.0 released

I downloaded the Wi exe but although it seems to install, it will not run?

jfw Contributing Member • Posts: 666

Henry Richardson wrote:

Stupid question: does DT have a menu option somewhere to show the version currently installed? I haven't found it.  (I'm just an experimenter, so have only marginal knowledge of DT).  If you know... thanks!

jfw's gear list:jfw's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +3 more
FujiJon
FujiJon Regular Member • Posts: 373

In either lighttable or darkroom screen, it's just below the darktable logo top left

-- hide signature --

If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

FujiJon's gear list:FujiJon's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II
KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 19,719

FujiJon wrote:

In either lighttable or darkroom screen, it's just below the darktable logo top left

True, but a real eye test

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
sluggy_warrior Senior Member • Posts: 2,690

KCook wrote:

FujiJon wrote:

True, but a real eye test

clicking on that logo should pop up a panel with easier-to-read text

OP Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 20,505
You got 3.5.0, not 3.4.0!

sluggy_warrior wrote:

clicking on that logo should pop up a panel with easier-to-read text

Did 3.4.0 already get replaced by 3.5.0?  I went to bed here in Japan last night and the latest was 3.4.0.  Was it a disaster and already there has been an emergency release of 3.5.0?

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

Re: You got 3.5.0, not 3.4.0!

Henry Richardson wrote:

Did 3.4.0 already get replaced by 3.5.0? I went to bed here in Japan last night and the latest was 3.4.0. Was it a disaster and already there has been an emergency release of 3.5.0?

oh no, sorry, I'm always on the bleeding edge, compiling directly from the git master branch every week. I figured that I'm quite technical, so I should help with testing and debugging early on.

I think only the even numbers (3.2, 3.4, ...) are stable public releases, the odd numbers (3.1, 3.3, 3.5, ...) are development cycles only.

sluggy_warrior wrote:

oh no, sorry, I'm always on the bleeding edge, compiling directly from the git master branch every week. I figured that I'm quite technical, so I should help with testing and debugging early on.

I think only the even numbers (3.2, 3.4, ...) are stable public releases, the odd numbers (3.1, 3.3, 3.5, ...) are development cycles only.

Okay, I see.  Scared me for a moment thinking that 3.4.0 had overnight been found to have some disastrous bug.

What has been added/changed to your 3.5.0 that is not in 3.4.0?

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

Henry Richardson wrote:

What has been added/changed to your 3.5.0 that is not in 3.4.0?

I don't keep track of the changes, and they usually put only the big items into the release notes. But you can just look at the commit log and see all the daily changes:

https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/commits/master

CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 17,516

Henry Richardson wrote:

Thanks, Henry.

I find the modules interface is better designed now, especially because it has choices for type of user and editing goals. "Why is darktable displaying these particular modules?" was a question I often had, and probably will not have again.

• all
  • search only
  • beginner
  • display-referred
  • scene-referred
  • previous

No progress on Canon CR3, though.

CAcreeks wrote:

yeah, unless Canon explicitly states that it's ok, there's no way around the current potential legal issue with the patent in CR3 format. darktable has the technical implementation ready for release, but can't. Not holding my breath.

https://github.com/darktable-org/rawspeed/issues/121

JasonTheBirder
JasonTheBirder Senior Member • Posts: 2,480

Excellent! Easily one of the most fun programs I have ever used. It has come so far since I started using it in 2016.

Canon CR3 files

sluggy_warrior wrote:

CAcreeks wrote:

yeah, unless Canon explicitly states that it's ok, there's no way around the current potential legal issue with the patent in CR3 format. darktable has the technical implementation ready for release, but can't. Not holding my breath.

I did not know that darktable doesn't support Canon CR3 files.  That sucks.  I think all the Canon cameras in the last few years create CR3 files, right?  I don't own any of them and all my older Canon raw files are CR2 and CRW, but I have thought about getting an RP and I suspect it produces CR3.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

- Ken - Contributing Member • Posts: 637
what is an autogenerated tarball

When I go to the Darktable GitHub site to download Darktable 3.4, the following statement confuses me: "As always, please don't use the autogenerated tarball provided by github, but only our tar.xz. the checksums are:". I have no idea what this means? Does this relate to what I download and install? I am on a Windows 10 computer, under assets, should I download darktable-3.4.0-win64.exe?

Thanks for helping to clarify?

-- hide signature --

Enjoy the light,
Ken

jthomas39 Contributing Member • Posts: 770
Re: what is an autogenerated tarball

- Ken - wrote:

When I go to the Darktable GitHub site to download Darktable 3.4, the following statement confuses me: "As always, please don't use the autogenerated tarball provided by github, but only our tar.xz. the checksums are:". I have no idea what this means? Does this relate to what I download and install? I am on a Windows 10 computer, under assets, should I download darktable-3.4.0-win64.exe?

Yes, that exe file.

Windows Defender blocked it, saying it's from an "unknown publisher" (unlike the 3.2 download from the darktable.org site).

I told it to Keep it. And had to click through a few more prompt overrides before it saved it to my downloads folder.

I clicked the exe to install, told it to "install anyway" due to unknowns.

It asked, "uninstall the previous version?" I answered "no". That worked. 3.4.0 now!

You probably want to say "yes" to the "backup database?" question.

~~~~

Right sidebar

Oh, big changes on the right sidebar in Darkroom!

I clicked the "hamburger" 3-bar menu icon, and switched to "Beginner" for now. That's a much smaller subset of modules.

It seems that I need to create a new profile if I want to add modules to this set.

I like the "Tone equalizer", for instance. (The cool feature there is the EV picker cursor. I have to click the circle icon at the lower right to "display exposure mask", then click it off again. Now, moving the cursor over the image shows the EV value, and the mouse wheel directly adjusts just that range of tones. Useful!)

~~~~~

So right click on the sidebar menu icon.

Manage presets

It shows the "Manage module layouts"

I clicked the "Beginner", and it tells me it's read-only, to make a copy to edit it.

Copied. edited the title of this set. added some modules. The "+" icon to add modules starts with "recommended" modules, then "other" modules. Nice!

It seems that I have to come back here each time I want to change the sidebar lists.

Close the Manage presets box.

now I can click the sidebar menu and select this named set.

~~~~

For new users: The slider controls have a lot of different methods. See the module controls in the manual.

I use the right-click slider control all the time. I don't have to scroll-and-scroll, or hold down a mouse button, I just slide the mouse left and right. Up near the top of the box for quick changes, down at the bottom for very fine adjustments. It's great for learning a new module by rapidly changing the values, and also for making precise adjustments.

CAcreeks

- Ken - wrote:

When I go to the Darktable GitHub site to download Darktable 3.4, the following statement confuses me: "As always, please don't use the autogenerated tarball provided by github, but only our tar.xz. the checksums are:". I have no idea what this means? Does this relate to what I download and install?

If you're interested in what this means, here is a good explanation and Q&A:

https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/81gj6i/github_autogenerated_tarballs_vs_releases/

I am on a W10 computer, under assets, should I download darktable-3.4.0-win64.exe?

You got that question answered already.

P.S. You might want to compile darktable yourself if you want to add a new camera model that isn't supported yet. I did this for Fujifilm X-T200 and X-A7 several months ago. Sluggy_warrior compiles the development version to contribute feedback and improve quality, yay!

CAcreeks
Re: Canon CR3 files

Henry Richardson wrote:

sluggy_warrior wrote:

CAcreeks wrote:

I did not know that darktable doesn't support Canon CR3 files. That sucks. I think all the Canon cameras in the last few years create CR3 files, right? I don't own any of them and all my older Canon raw files are CR2 and CRW, but I have thought about getting an RP and I suspect it produces CR3.

Why would you buy an RP? Image quality is no better than APS-C, and lenses are bigger and more expensive because it's full frame.

I'm not sure why, but Canon really made image quality improvements in the R5 and R6. I refuse to buy one because of the CR3 issue, but I did notice.

JasonTheBirder
JasonTheBirder Senior Member • Posts: 2,480

- Ken - wrote:

The .exe is fine. That warning is only for people who want to compile from source.

- Ken - Contributing Member • Posts: 637

Thanks for explaining and the additional info.

-- hide signature --

Enjoy the light,
Ken

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads