Looking For Cinematography Camera Or Camcorder

Started 5 months ago | Questions
rpszone Regular Member • Posts: 245
Looking For Cinematography Camera Or Camcorder

Moving from still photography for the most part and want the right gear for wildlife and landscape filming. I have a FZ300 which surprisingly has some nice features for this new hobby like: push and pull focus (very cool). Can someone recommend a unit that will have a bunch of cool effects like this built in, built in ND filter, a larger sensor (maybe 1" +), good zoom range (birds), under $2K, hopefully small package???

Cinematography features and methods are new to me. V-log, V-gamut, snap movie (pull focus), rack focus etc, all new, I even have trouble spelling cinematography. Something small like the vixia g50?

Thanks

ANSWER:
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,350
Re: Looking For Cinematography Camera Or Camcorder

rpszone wrote:

Cinematography features and methods are new to me. V-log, V-gamut, snap movie (pull focus), rack focus etc, all new, I even have trouble spelling cinematography. Something small like the vixia g50?

I gotta comment here that it seems to me like you're diving way into deep waters without first exploring all the basics. I think you might be better served by spending some time shooting a few short projects on the camera you already have so that you can get a feel for what your needs are. That'll give you a foundation to build on so that when you do decide on a new camera you'll be able to use it more effectively right out of the gate.

Good video is much less about the hardware and much more about the subject and story you're telling.

LingoDingo Senior Member • Posts: 1,734

It sounds like you still want a "super zoom" camera, and right now there are only a few cameras around with a long zoom and a 1 inch sensor...

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ2500

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 IV

Panasonic AG-CX350 4K Camcorder

Sony PXW-Z190 4K 3-CMOS 1/3" Sensor XDCAM Camcorder
( uses 3 one third inch sensors, so performance is similar )

LingoDingo's gear list:LingoDingo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +23 more
AZMario Regular Member • Posts: 215

In the canon line I believe the least expensive 1" camcorder is the xa-50 at $2199.  A similar 1" camera in Sony is the  nx-80 at $2299.  They have slightly different feature sets. I agree with Sean. You might do a little more shooting before you spend the money. You might decide you can't live without raw πŸ˜€

AZMario's gear list:AZMario's gear list
Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
StoneJack Contributing Member • Posts: 818

rpszone wrote:

Moving from still photography for the most part and want the right gear for wildlife and landscape filming. I have a FZ300 which surprisingly has some nice features for this new hobby like: push and pull focus (very cool). Can someone recommend a unit that will have a bunch of cool effects like this built in, built in ND filter, a larger sensor (maybe 1" +), good zoom range (birds), under $2K, hopefully small package???

Thanks

I can recommend Nikon Z6 - it is now discounted and even is better bargain. We shot a movie with it (now DVD released) and its color is gorgeous. Great lenses, files easy to process, Nikon's stability and ergonomics, footage was as good as Red etc

StoneJack's gear list:StoneJack's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +6 more
Ironfilm Regular Member • Posts: 250

Check out:
Canon XC10 (or the newer XC15)
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1383137-REG/canon_0506c002_xc10_with_lens_cap.html

Sony HXR-NX80 (or the older Sony X70):
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1362801-REG/sony_hxr_nx80_full_hd_xdcam.html

-- hide signature --

My YouTube vlog channel on pro sound recording: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

OP rpszone Regular Member • Posts: 245

sounds reasonable.

Thank you all, update

tried my 80D, 70-300, a tripod is a must for the 300mm. I have a Manfrotto 3001 tripod and 701rc2 fluid head with leveling base.

too heavy and cumbersome (10lbs), my bird shots are run and gun style (walking on trails and there it is, I only have enough time to swing it up and shoot). I am trying to move away from stills and go with video clips.

I thought to go with a mirrorless like the lumix gh5 or g9 with IBIS and OIS for handheld.

I know I want to shoot video clips instead of stills, something light and get decent results, frankly I am a little old and shaky.

John Koch Senior Member • Posts: 1,444
Re: Thank you all, update

rpszone wrote:

I thought to go with a mirrorless like the lumix gh5 or g9 with IBIS and OIS for handheld.

The Lumix GH5 or G9 continuous autofocus is too dodgy for tracking birds in motion, particularly at long focal lengths.  The best hope would be to lock the focus based on the first frame or to optimize manual focus to approximate the median distance of the birds.

It is really difficult to shoot interesting video of wild birds in action, since they tend to be shy and don't perform at all like the penguins in cartoon animations.   You need to bivouac in a blind near active feeding or nesting grounds.  To stroll along in hopes of finding a bird that won't simply hide or dart off can be very daunting.   Big lenses look too much like hunters' big bore muzzles.

To track a bird in flight with a 300mm lens, shooting video, tends to yield very jerky results, even with good IBIS.  Better to shoot in 4k, at a wider angle, and then crop and key-frame in post to keep the bird in a stable portion of the frame.

Re:You are right about the g9 etc

dp review said the same thing about the g9 and gh5. You are also right about the difficulty of getting close enough even with the 80d 300mm. The little FZ300 can be held steady at full zoom.

It's impossible for me to hold the 300mm steady enough to be hand held, even with all the tips I watched.

So I can crop 4k, hmmm.

It is going to be a hard nut to crack I admit. I  want the ability to swing it up and shoot. My interest is in flowers, plants, creeks, landscapes and animals.

Stuff like this: bluebird bathing

apekkpul Senior Member • Posts: 1,164

I sometimes use a lightweight monopod with my mirrorless cameras. It is faster to set up than a tripod, and I can easily carry a  monopod with a attached camera for a short period of time.

If your camera supports 60/50 frames/second (or even more), you may not need ND at all if you don't pan/tilt. Some motion blur can be added during edit phase.

I would consider Olympus 300mm/4.0 with Panasonic G9: the lens should have an excellent OIS, and G9 has outstanding video capabilities (although it is an older model). Combine this with a monopod such as iFootage Cobra and a good ballhead such as RSS BH-30.

apekkpul's gear list:apekkpul's gear list
Panasonic GH5 Sony a7 III Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +15 more
Re: Thanks

Yes you are right on, I was just looking at the new "video monopods" with feet. What have done is to order a loupe or lcd viewfinder attachment and a lightweight tripod with the pistol grip (wasn't sure if the monopod would work but its worth a try.

when I am hiking around I will see wildlife, bring my camera up to my eye and shoot, if i can.

now i want to replace still pictures with video clips, no real story, yet.

I have the 80d with the 70-300, I also have the polar and variable nd filter, going to try that for awhile, its a tough nut to crack.

I also have the manfrotto tripod, leveling base, fluid head and ball head.

Re: Two great suggestions

Two great suggestions. Yes I will do that, try to work with what I have for now.

Re: Those are very good suggestions, thank you

Thanks I checked those out

Re: Thanks for those suggestions

I looked at the rx10 iv and the fz2500. In the past I have used many Panasonic bridge cameras, the first one i had was a CCD sensor and they are some of my best photos.

JasonTheBirder
JasonTheBirder Senior Member • Posts: 1,608

rpszone wrote:

tried my 80D, 70-300, a tripod is a must for the 300mm. I have a Manfrotto 3001 tripod and 701rc2 fluid head with leveling base.

too heavy and cumbersome (10lbs), my bird shots are run and gun style (walking on trails and there it is, I only have enough time to swing it up and shoot). I am trying to move away from stills and go with video clips.

I know I want to shoot video clips instead of stills, something light and get decent results, frankly I am a little old and shaky.

The G9 (probably the GH5 also) has an IS Lock feature, which allows you to be very steady handheld. I tested it with a 300mm (without lens IS) and it works very well if you hold the lens fairly steady, but stutters a little every once in a while if you move too much. If you use an IS lens, it should be rock solid. With a 150mm, the IS lock is pretty flawless and looks very nice. 150mm on the G9 would be a 210 APS-C FOV. No tripod necessary. Stabilization still works very well for video even without IS Lock for a little more movement, but won't be as good as a fluid head.

Re: You read my mind

You answered the question I was going to ask today, perfect!

It sounds like you had good results with the g9 with "Lock IS" ( watched a review about that yesterday) and if i also added an "O.I.S." lens it would be even better.

The experience with the fz 300, with IS on and e-stabilization video on, was a little jumping around (stutter) and movement when hand held.

thanks

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
JasonTheBirder
JasonTheBirder Senior Member • Posts: 1,608

rpszone wrote:

You answered the question I was going to ask today, perfect!

It sounds like you had good results with the g9 with "Lock IS" ( watched a review about that yesterday) and if i also added an "O.I.S." lens it would be even better.

The experience with the fz 300, with IS on and e-stabilization video on, was a little jumping around (stutter) and movement when hand held.

thanks

So, I have an example of IS Lock if you want to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMpyDahqetg

Some examples:

1. From 3:10 to 3:30, I used IS Lock with various focal lengths

2. From 5:05 to 5:40, there is an example if IS Lock with the 300mm unstabilized lens I talked about. It shows how IS lock isn't 100% stable but provides a very gentle rocking motion which is not very objectionable in my opinion for what it provides. It does make 1-2 small stutters, but also keep in mind there was no lens IS and the setup was kind of unbalanced in the sense that I only had a short amount of time to get the camera pointed up at a very awkward angle.

yes, IS lock looks like what I was hoping for. I think what I am trying to do might be called videography not cinematography. Instead of having a slide show of still photos I want to make a slide show of 15 second video clips of birds, flowers, creeks, landscapes, animals etc.

I will not be panning or tilting in most cases so that lock is would work and the g9 gets it with the firmware update i guess.

Thanks

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads