Olympus 150-400mm/4.5 TC Costa Rica field trip

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Petr Bambousek
Petr Bambousek Regular Member • Posts: 413
Olympus 150-400mm/4.5 TC Costa Rica field trip

Hello,

finally, I finished my extensive article about field experiences with new lens Olympus 150-400mm/4.5 TC 1.25x IS PRO. Translation to English is in progress and will take some time. In the meantime you can use Google translator (direct link in the article) and/or enjoy more than 30 photographs I will announce once translated to proper English

https://www.sulasula.com/en/olympus-150-400mm-4-5-tc-in-costa-rica/

All the best and see you next year ...

Collared Aracari, Costa Rica, Olympus 150-400mm/4.5 TC 1.25x IS PRO

Laughing Falcon, Costa Rica, Olympus 150-400mm/4.5 TC 1.25x IS PRO

Black-capped Flycatcher, Costa Rica, Olympus 150-400mm/4.5 TC 1.25x IS PRO

Petr Bambousek's gear list:Petr Bambousek's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +10 more
mikero
mikero Senior Member • Posts: 2,242
Re: Olympus 150-400mm/4.5 TC Costa Rica field trip

Great shots as always.  How are you finding the Bird Tracking function?  It seems to work well for me with perched birds, but less well for birds in flight.

Mike

mikero's gear list:mikero's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +10 more
Jim Vincent Senior Member • Posts: 1,647

Beautiful shots Petr.

Not likely I'll ever buy that lens - but - I sure love what you can do with it!

Jim Vincent's gear list:Jim Vincent's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
Clayton J Forum Member • Posts: 72

Wow. Very nice.

i really enjoyed the video showing the bird tracking. It is impressive. I find unfortunately with my em1.2 that just because the square is locked green on something doesn’t ensure focus, sometimes it is way off. Hope that isn’t the case here.

Clayton J's gear list:Clayton J's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm XP80 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
Fsi Contributing Member • Posts: 719

Great read Petr, lots of useful information and your take on the situations were very interesting. Your Basilisk experience, I can relate to with my own attempts at wrens and finches. The Ant Atta image is sensational.

Thank you, for your take on bird af. I've done something similar with my C modes, except I've set my home to C-AF Tr as well. I find that Bird AF can either be surprisingly good or surprisingly bad. Having the option to swap between Tracking and other AF modes makes it easier to figure out if it will work in a given situation.

Thank you for the article.

Fsi's gear list:Fsi's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Sony a1 Olympus 25mm F1.2 Panasonic Leica 200mm F2.8 Olympus OM-D E-M1X +4 more
MarkDavo
MarkDavo Senior Member • Posts: 2,166

Thanks Petr, I look forward to reading this over and over again.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Mark
Wouldn't be dead for quids

MarkDavo's gear list:MarkDavo's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +5 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,392
wow!!!...

a huge thanks for your time on this latest article Petr!!!

i've been visiting your web site for a good long time and have never been disappointed in the amount of time spent there.

i think this latest article has the most amount of "content" to chew on yet.

i'll be going through, and revisiting, this article for quit some time.

again, thanks for all the work you put in for us.

-- hide signature --

as always,
thank you fellow DPR members for your kind words and encouragement.

Bobby J Veteran Member • Posts: 5,133

Petr, it just keeps getting better and better.  Fantastic!

Thanks for sharing with us.

-- hide signature --

BJM

Bobby J's gear list:Bobby J's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +9 more
Petr Bambousek
OP Petr Bambousek Regular Member • Posts: 413

mikero wrote:

Great shots as always. How are you finding the Bird Tracking function? It seems to work well for me with perched birds, but less well for birds in flight.

Mike

I think it is nice feature just need to be set properly with cooperation of other features (IS, af limiter, etc.). I had not much opportunities to try BIF.  So not much to recommend. πŸ˜‰ All in all I found it as useful update, not best on the market, but best in Olympus cameras πŸ‘

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +10 more
Petr Bambousek

Fsi wrote:

Great read Petr, lots of useful information and your take on the situations were very interesting. Your Basilisk experience, I can relate to with my own attempts at wrens and finches. The Ant Atta image is sensational.

Thank you, for your take on bird af. I've done something similar with my C modes, except I've set my home to C-AF Tr as well. I find that Bird AF can either be surprisingly good or surprisingly bad. Having the option to swap between Tracking and other AF modes makes it easier to figure out if it will work in a given situation.

Thank you for the article.

Thank you, I also have Home AF to C-AF, if there will be also IS setting in Home AF menu, it can safe on "C" for other purposes. πŸ˜‰

Petr Bambousek
Re: wow!!!...

Paul Auclair wrote:

a huge thanks for your time on this latest article Petr!!!

i've been visiting your web site for a good long time and have never been disappointed in the amount of time spent there.

i think this latest article has the most amount of "content" to chew on yet.

i'll be going through, and revisiting, this article for quit some time.

again, thanks for all the work you put in for us.

Thank you, Paul, you are right, it tooks me tens of hours to create the article as comprehensive as possible πŸ™πŸ˜‰

Petr Bambousek

Bobby J wrote:

Petr, it just keeps getting better and better. Fantastic!

Thanks for sharing with us.

Thank you πŸ˜‰πŸ™

peter_jp Contributing Member • Posts: 884

Thank you for all your efforts! I'll wait with an extensive till the final English version is online, but again amazing photography! Not a lens I'll buy, as it is way beyond my budget, but very interesting to see your results and thoughts anyway.

mikero
mikero Senior Member • Posts: 2,242

Petr, forgive me if you've already said this somewhere, but the big question is, are you placing an order for one?

Mike

mikero's gear list:mikero's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +10 more
Tai_Ji_51 Forum Member • Posts: 60

Hi Petr, thanks for sharing your impressive shots and interesting comments on your experience with this dream lens and the new Bird AI firmware. I have discovered Sulasula Site in spring 2018 and your comments and impressions were the spark for my going for E-M1mkll and have been following your posts since then. The way you tell stories makes me always think I was next to your you, the only difference being that my memory cards don't ever register anything - too bad, but next time, maybe ...

By the way, also lots of thanks for having released your Photoshop CC Video Course for my birthday ...

Just starting gazing around your 5 hours videos and, waouw ...  I anticipate winter nights will be (much) shorter than they are said to be .. Video quality is outstanding and helps following your editing processes, step by step, but would you consider a future release of some english help for people whose understanding of the Zcech language is less than ideal

Look forward to read / see about your experiences

Always a delight to see your posts, take care and enjoy your new toys

Tai_Ji_51

Petr Bambousek

mikero wrote:

Petr, forgive me if you've already said this somewhere, but the big question is, are you placing an order for one?

Mike

I did not, the lens is out of my budget now. "Now" is important as I had a chance to buy it. I exchanged my chance to buy for the trip to Costa Rica (fully paid by myself). If I ever will have those two choices, I will always take the trip instead of lens. But one day, hopefully, I will place my order πŸ™πŸ‘

Messier Object Forum Pro • Posts: 10,853

Beautiful birds Petr !

Looking forward to the translated report

the out-of-focus background  in the 2nd image is suggestive of the new lens rendering  similarly to the 40-150mm Pro.  I hope that’s not the case

Peter

OM mani padme hum Regular Member • Posts: 328

Stunning work - thanks for the link.

Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 44,809
Love the bird photos and the compressed perspective...

as someone who relatively often shoots compressed perspective for street photography,  I like seeing it here.  Makes it look like paintings.

Those Tukans and colors on the beak/feathers. wow.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

J4Hug Senior Member • Posts: 1,403

Your work is inspirational!

Thanks for your article, I'll read again when in English but it is very helpful as presented.

Costa Rica is certainly attractive but I suspect fieldcraft  and hardwork (on the hills) are necessary regardless of the lens.

Best wishes for Christmas and whatever holiday you get.

J4Hug's gear list:J4Hug's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 300mm 1:2.8 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads