The RF 28-70 F2 is truly a very magical lens that is hard to describe with words

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
shawnphoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,307
Re: The RF 28-70 F2 is truly a very magical lens that is hard to describe with words

RDM5546 wrote:

traderjay wrote:

Indeed especially compared to the "kit" lens EF 24-70 F4 IS L that came from the 5D mark IV that I adapted to the R5... Even when compared to the RF 70-200, this lens is unmatched.

The lens is magical in my eyes from the way it mesmurizes the owners of the lens. I found it big and offensive for my use: neither fish nor foul. I mean no offense but it seemed too expensive for me for a kind of compromised prime in a heavy zoom lens from the limited low light and isolation that it delivers at f2. Then again it differences of opinion on issues like character that is the reason they run horse races and do not just accept the results derived from the specification. Maybe I should actually try one in my one hands with a rental once the virus breaks. Maybe I will be mesmurized too but it that a good thing? Maybe the sanity of sticking with my current otherwise excellent old school RF 24-70mmf2.8L IS will empower me to control my sometimes weakened will.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to go spend money on something they won't get a lot of use out of. I'll be honest, I don't carry this lens with me everywhere. My #1 use for it is 90% people and 10% serious landscapes.

People

Landscapes

-- hide signature --

Biden will save us!

shawnphoto's gear list:shawnphoto's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM +4 more
Bohumir New Member • Posts: 2
Re: The RF 28-70 F2 is truly a very magical lens that is hard to describe with words

From technical perspective it is marvelous for sure. One think I don’t understand though. 90% of all the pictures I can see everywhere usually with a comment like “magical” would be almost identical if it had been taken with 24-70 2.8 maybe with 24-105. I have spent countless of hours by pixelpeeping and comparing RF 50 1.2 and 28-70 and decided that I will rather go with RF 70-200 for portraits, sport, landscape and 50 for newborn. I may add rumored 35L or 15-35L in future and I will be done... But you know what? 28-70 still excites me for sure...

bernie r
bernie r Regular Member • Posts: 308

Bohumir wrote:

From technical perspective it is marvelous for sure. One think I don’t understand though. 90% of all the pictures I can see everywhere usually with a comment like “magical” would be almost identical if it had been taken with 24-70 2.8 maybe with 24-105. I have spent countless of hours by pixelpeeping and comparing RF 50 1.2 and 28-70 and decided that I will rather go with RF 70-200 for portraits, sport, landscape and 50 for newborn. I may add rumored 35L or 15-35L in future and I will be done... But you know what? 28-70 still excites me for sure...

You realise there's different lenses for different things right? You wouldn't use a 50 1.2 for sports, you wouldn't use a 70-200 for wildlife etc.

I prefer using the Sigma 105 1.4 for portraits but that's just me, also sure it's the photographer not just the lens which is why I found it funny when the guy was taking pictures of random street signs across the street with a $3000 lens.

-- hide signature --

Computer:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
X570 Aorus Master
TG Dark Pro 3200 14-14-14-31 64GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Founders Edition
Samsung 860 Evo 4TB
Samsung 860 Evo 4TB
Corsair MP510 960gb
Corsair MP510 960gb
Corsair MP510 4TB(boot)
WD Gold 12TB
WD Gold 12TB
Camera:
Canon EOS R5
Canon RF 15-35 2.8
Canon RF 28-70 2
Canon EF 70-200 2.8
Canon EF 500 f/4 L IS II USM + 1.4X III
Sigma 105 1.4 DG HSM Art
Stuff:
Gitzo Fluid Gimbal Head
Gitzo GT4543LS Systematic Series 4 Carbon eXact Long Tripod
Benro Mach3 TMA38CL Carbon Fibre Tripod
Benro G3 Ball Head

traderjay
OP traderjay Regular Member • Posts: 462

Bohumir wrote:

Its hard to describe with words but there is very special characteristics with the f2.0 rendering and the color reproduction

-- hide signature --

Workstations - EPYC 7702 + 3950X || ASUS Strix RTX 3090OC || Canon imagePROGRAF Pro-1000

traderjay's gear list:traderjay's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM DxO Optics Pro Elite +1 more
Walter K Junior Member • Posts: 43

interesting input! Both lenses are in my focus... so tried on the site... and detected that the 50mm F1.2 has less DOF than the 2870 at 70mm + F2.0.

Anyway thanks for the input and link!

PhotoFoxx wrote:

PillowFightr wrote:

I am debating the RF 28-70mm f2 or the RF 50mm f1.2

what I want to know is, how those 2 lenses compare at 50mm at each f stop starting at f2.0 ??? Which would be better??

If someone has both and used both, please shed some light on the matter 😎

So I only have the RF28-70 f2, but i initially wanted to get the RF50mm f1.2 and read nearly every comment, discussion and test on both before making a decision ^^

From that perspective, I can say that the RF28-70 is ultra sharp and of amazing image quality, rarely been seen before ( even better than many EF primes!), not to forget its unique with f2. But the Rf50mm is even a bit sharper and of course f1.2 will bake a big difference in low light, if you compare it with 50mm f2 from the RF28-70

On the other hand: Both are extremely sharp so you may not even notice the difference to the even sharper RF50 as both are of professional quality.

The benefit of the RF28-70 is clearly its versatility. For me it changed my photography workflow/style and actually made me discover using wider focal lengths (35mm and below) for outdoor portraits which I would not have considered.

When it comes to background blur / shallow depth of field, you should consider that while the RF28-70 may not be able to compete at 50mm f.2 with the RF50 at f1.2, but:

At 70mm f2 the difference in focal length makes up for it and may even give you an even shallower depth of field!

So in this case you may be getting more background blur with the RF28-70 at f2 than with the RF50 at f1.2

You can calculate/check the correct numbers at https://dofsimulator.net/en/ or other calculator.

So with all that said, you will have to weight investing around 1000$ more for the RF28-70 to get a big versatility advantage, but loose as small bit of sharpness/quality.

I went with the RF28-70. I also tested the RF50 in the shop and also noticed that its definitely louder when zooming (noticeable clicking sounds, may be relevant when you are using it for filming).

JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,822

Walter K wrote:

interesting input! Both lenses are in my focus... so tried on the site... and detected that the 50mm F1.2 has less DOF than the 2870 at 70mm + F2.0.

Anyway thanks for the input and link!

PhotoFoxx wrote:

PillowFightr wrote:

I am debating the RF 28-70mm f2 or the RF 50mm f1.2

what I want to know is, how those 2 lenses compare at 50mm at each f stop starting at f2.0 ??? Which would be better??

If someone has both and used both, please shed some light on the matter 😎

So I only have the RF28-70 f2, but i initially wanted to get the RF50mm f1.2 and read nearly every comment, discussion and test on both before making a decision ^^

From that perspective, I can say that the RF28-70 is ultra sharp and of amazing image quality, rarely been seen before ( even better than many EF primes!), not to forget its unique with f2. But the Rf50mm is even a bit sharper and of course f1.2 will bake a big difference in low light, if you compare it with 50mm f2 from the RF28-70

On the other hand: Both are extremely sharp so you may not even notice the difference to the even sharper RF50 as both are of professional quality.

The benefit of the RF28-70 is clearly its versatility. For me it changed my photography workflow/style and actually made me discover using wider focal lengths (35mm and below) for outdoor portraits which I would not have considered.

When it comes to background blur / shallow depth of field, you should consider that while the RF28-70 may not be able to compete at 50mm f.2 with the RF50 at f1.2, but:

At 70mm f2 the difference in focal length makes up for it and may even give you an even shallower depth of field!

So in this case you may be getting more background blur with the RF28-70 at f2 than with the RF50 at f1.2

You can calculate/check the correct numbers at https://dofsimulator.net/en/ or other calculator.

So with all that said, you will have to weight investing around 1000$ more for the RF28-70 to get a big versatility advantage, but loose as small bit of sharpness/quality.

I went with the RF28-70. I also tested the RF50 in the shop and also noticed that its definitely louder when zooming (noticeable clicking sounds, may be relevant when you are using it for filming).

You would also want to match framing between the 50 and the 70.  You would have to step back with the 70. That would further increase the Depth of Field. How far back would you step from 1.7 meters to match framing? If you have a zoom lens, you could test easy enough. I’m not testing as I have no dog in this hunt.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +7 more
PhotoFoxx New Member • Posts: 12

Thats a valid point. Thats why it depends on the situation. On the other hand the 70mm will get you more compression of the background which can visually compensate the bokeh difference.

In the end, the difference between both may be so small that sacrificing the versatility isn't worth it.
I myself have been shooting events, weddings and portraits with only a 50mm for years so upgrading the the RF50mm was a no brainer for me. That was until I started reading every review and comparison, evaluated my own shots and situations and came to the conclusion that at f2, the gain of being able to switch to 35 or 28mm to take an environment portrait when the situation is perfect, or switch to 70mm to take a close up headshot with an shallow depth of field makes up for the small loss in background blur.

The thing is there is definitely no perfect tool. It always depends on the situation. I would probably not take the RF28-70 with me for traveling because of the weight and size. (although I am now used to it)

The best thing would be to test both if there is a chance for it. In the last months I have been using the RF 28-70 mostly for indoor portrait work where I was mainly shooting at 70mm at f8. Another moment where I was happy that I didn't take the 50mm as the compression would have been a problem in many of those situations. The versatility already had a big benefit in many situations which I couldn't even think of when I made the decision (especially as my shooting style changed and situations appeared I wouldn't have thought of before)

The most important thought may be what you are actually planing to shoot. For example when I went trough all may shots I took at the last wedding, I saw that most of them where taken at f2.2 - f2.8. Thats because most of the time there where multiple people in the image and f1.4 would have given me a too shallow DOF. That was a big "aha" moment as I initially was looking forward to the f1.2 the 50mm would have provided.

If I buy another lens, it will probably be the RF85mm 1.2 DS. That would be a good addition acting as a specific portrait lens with maximum bokeh quality output if a want that for specific shots. The difference of the RF50mm at f1.2 to the rf28-70 at 50mm f2 or even at 70mm f2 is just not big enough that it would be worth changing lenses or carrying 3 or even 4 primes with me.

That me of course. I can only recommend checking out your own photos, your shooting style or what you think you are going to do with the lense. Maybe in the end you make a different decision after analyzing that, like I did to my own suprise. Before the Rf28-70 I was sure I would keep shooting with primes only ^^

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads