a7c gyro data + catalyst browse + OSS

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
REDMASTA Regular Member • Posts: 281
a7c gyro data + catalyst browse + OSS

Recently jumped ship from the micro four thirds system and picked up the a7c

Looking for a wide zoom lens for video and deciding between the Sony 16-35 f4 and the Tamron 17-28 f2.8.

I understand to utilize the gyro data on the a7c with catalyst browse I need to leave the IBIS off. My question is can I still use the OSS in the Sony lens along with using gyro data in catalyst browse?

If so this makes my lens decision quite simple and I will go for the Sony lens.

Thanks!

Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mike Evangelist
Mike Evangelist Contributing Member • Posts: 602
Re: a7c gyro data + catalyst browse + OSS

REDMASTA wrote:

My question is can I still use the OSS in the Sony lens along with using gyro data in catalyst browse?

No. You can't separately disable IBIS from the lenses' OSS. They work together and are either both on, or both off.

 Mike Evangelist's gear list:Mike Evangelist's gear list
Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 135mm F2.8 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Samyang AF 18mm F2.8 FE Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN +1 more
OP REDMASTA Regular Member • Posts: 281
Re: a7c gyro data + catalyst browse + OSS

Mike Evangelist wrote:

REDMASTA wrote:

My question is can I still use the OSS in the Sony lens along with using gyro data in catalyst browse?

No. You can't separately disable IBIS from the lenses' OSS. They work together and are either both on, or both off.

Thank you that answers my question!

I will most likely just get the Tamron then.

Mr_Win Contributing Member • Posts: 970
Re: a7c gyro data + catalyst browse + OSS
1

REDMASTA wrote:

Recently jumped ship from the micro four thirds system and picked up the a7c

Looking for a wide zoom lens for video and deciding between the Sony 16-35 f4 and the Tamron 17-28 f2.8.

I understand to utilize the gyro data on the a7c with catalyst browse I need to leave the IBIS off. My question is can I still use the OSS in the Sony lens along with using gyro data in catalyst browse?

If so this makes my lens decision quite simple and I will go for the Sony lens.

Thanks!

Catalyst browse is horrible software, making buying decisions based on that is a bad idea

teddoman
teddoman Senior Member • Posts: 2,829
Re: a7c gyro data + catalyst browse + OSS

Mr_Win wrote:

REDMASTA wrote:

Recently jumped ship from the micro four thirds system and picked up the a7c

Looking for a wide zoom lens for video and deciding between the Sony 16-35 f4 and the Tamron 17-28 f2.8.

I understand to utilize the gyro data on the a7c with catalyst browse I need to leave the IBIS off. My question is can I still use the OSS in the Sony lens along with using gyro data in catalyst browse?

If so this makes my lens decision quite simple and I will go for the Sony lens.

Thanks!

Catalyst browse is horrible software, making buying decisions based on that is a bad idea

I've had my problems with it but horrible is maybe going too far. It's buggy, which may be disappointing if you're used to non-buggy software that works every time perfectly. I'm only using it for casual video and not pro stuff so for me it's fine.

I also wonder if maybe it'd perform better if I upgraded to a more powerful workstation and that it sometimes fails to export because of something to do with my hardware.

-- hide signature --

Ted
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tedchang/
C&C is encouraged, I'm always learning

 teddoman's gear list:teddoman's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7C Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 50mm F2 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +7 more
NetSlob
NetSlob Regular Member • Posts: 441
Re: a7c gyro data + catalyst browse + OSS
1

Just FYI, installing Catalyst Browse caused a major problem on my editing computers. After installing it, my copies of VEGAS will not open. It created some sort of OpenGL conflict that is catastrophic. I have been unable to find a fix and may end up being forced to wipe the hard drives and reinstall Windows. Catalyst Browse is truly horrible software.

 NetSlob's gear list:NetSlob's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony RX100 VII Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 +23 more
OP REDMASTA Regular Member • Posts: 281
Re: a7c gyro data + catalyst browse + OSS

Mr_Win wrote:

REDMASTA wrote:

Recently jumped ship from the micro four thirds system and picked up the a7c

Looking for a wide zoom lens for video and deciding between the Sony 16-35 f4 and the Tamron 17-28 f2.8.

I understand to utilize the gyro data on the a7c with catalyst browse I need to leave the IBIS off. My question is can I still use the OSS in the Sony lens along with using gyro data in catalyst browse?

If so this makes my lens decision quite simple and I will go for the Sony lens.

Thanks!

Catalyst browse is horrible software, making buying decisions based on that is a bad idea

Well for now it is the only option I know of, hopefully other video software, like final cut which is what I use, will add the ability to use gyro data as well.

I came from Panasonic and Olympus and even with excellent IBIS it is still not the same as a gimbal or what can be done in post with gyro data.

Markr041 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,615
Re: a7c gyro data + catalyst browse + OSS
1

NetSlob wrote:

Just FYI, installing Catalyst Browse caused a major problem on my editing computers. After installing it, my copies of VEGAS will not open. It created some sort of OpenGL conflict that is catastrophic. I have been unable to find a fix and may end up being forced to wipe the hard drives and reinstall Windows. Catalyst Browse is truly horrible software.

I installed Catalyst Browse on two computers that have Vegas. Everything  works perfectly on both.

 Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-5 +14 more
NetSlob
NetSlob Regular Member • Posts: 441
Re: a7c gyro data + catalyst browse + OSS

Markr041 wrote:

NetSlob wrote:

Just FYI, installing Catalyst Browse caused a major problem on my editing computers. After installing it, my copies of VEGAS will not open. It created some sort of OpenGL conflict that is catastrophic. I have been unable to find a fix and may end up being forced to wipe the hard drives and reinstall Windows. Catalyst Browse is truly horrible software.

I installed Catalyst Browse on two computers that have Vegas. Everything works perfectly on both.

Interesting! I have 3 editing laptops... Installed Catalyst Browse on two of the computers and Vegas stopped working on both. (Thankfully I caught the issue before installing on the 3rd laptop). Vegas crashes immediately whenever I try to open it. I've found it impossible to fix (have removed and reinstalled the Vegas software various times). My hardware is top shelf (Asus Zephyrus Duo, for example). One of the laptops is only a couple months old. If anyone knows a possible fix, I'd appreciate any insights.

The issue is this error:

Problem Description

Application Name: Vegas Pro

Application Version: Version 13.0 (Build 453) 64-bit

Problem: Unmanaged Exception (0xc0000005)

Fault Module: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\OpenCL.dll

Fault Address: 0x00007FF8AA542F56

Fault Offset: 0x0000000000002F56

 NetSlob's gear list:NetSlob's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony RX100 VII Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 +23 more
NetSlob
NetSlob Regular Member • Posts: 441
Re: a7c gyro data + catalyst browse + OSS
1

Okay, I FINALLY found a fix that got my system working again. It seems that CB installs Intel SDK for OpenCL? In any event, that creates the conflict.

For future reference, if anyone else has this problem:

Open your Start menu and click the Settings button. From the Settings menu, choose Apps & Features. Enter "OpenCL" in the box labeled Search this list. If "Intel SDK for OpenCL" appears in the search results, select and uninstall it.

 NetSlob's gear list:NetSlob's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony RX100 VII Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 +23 more
Markr041 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,615
Re: a7c gyro data + catalyst browse + OSS
1

NetSlob wrote:

Okay, I FINALLY found a fix that got my system working again. It seems that CB installs Intel SDK for OpenCL? In any event, that creates the conflict.

For future reference, if anyone else has this problem:

Open your Start menu and click the Settings button. From the Settings menu, choose Apps & Features. Enter "OpenCL" in the box labeled Search this list. If "Intel SDK for OpenCL" appears in the search results, select and uninstall it.

Thanks for this information. But, you should make clear that you are using a very old version of Vegas - version 13. The latest version is 18. I have versions 16 and 17 installed, and they did not have any problem installing or coexisting with Catalyst Browse.

 Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-5 +14 more
Mr_Win Contributing Member • Posts: 970
Re: a7c gyro data + catalyst browse + OSS
1

teddoman wrote:

Mr_Win wrote:

REDMASTA wrote:

Recently jumped ship from the micro four thirds system and picked up the a7c

Looking for a wide zoom lens for video and deciding between the Sony 16-35 f4 and the Tamron 17-28 f2.8.

I understand to utilize the gyro data on the a7c with catalyst browse I need to leave the IBIS off. My question is can I still use the OSS in the Sony lens along with using gyro data in catalyst browse?

If so this makes my lens decision quite simple and I will go for the Sony lens.

Thanks!

Catalyst browse is horrible software, making buying decisions based on that is a bad idea

I've had my problems with it but horrible is maybe going too far. It's buggy, which may be disappointing if you're used to non-buggy software that works every time perfectly. I'm only using it for casual video and not pro stuff so for me it's fine.

I also wonder if maybe it'd perform better if I upgraded to a more powerful workstation and that it sometimes fails to export because of something to do with my hardware.

It’s not usable from a practical POV. Cannot batch process, DOA at this point. Takes a long time, video quality is not the same as original, insult to injury.

Sony is a second rate software company.

NetSlob
NetSlob Regular Member • Posts: 441
Re: a7c gyro data + catalyst browse + OSS

Markr041 wrote:

NetSlob wrote:

Okay, I FINALLY found a fix that got my system working again. It seems that CB installs Intel SDK for OpenCL? In any event, that creates the conflict.

For future reference, if anyone else has this problem:

Open your Start menu and click the Settings button. From the Settings menu, choose Apps & Features. Enter "OpenCL" in the box labeled Search this list. If "Intel SDK for OpenCL" appears in the search results, select and uninstall it.

Thanks for this information. But, you should make clear that you are using a very old version of Vegas - version 13. The latest version is 18. I have versions 16 and 17 installed, and they did not have any problem installing or coexisting with Catalyst Browse.

Fair point, but while attempting to solve the problem I installed the latest version of Vegas (18) and experienced the same issue.

I intend to upgrade, but this problem seems to affect ALL versions on certain Windows 10 systems.

 NetSlob's gear list:NetSlob's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony RX100 VII Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 +23 more
OP REDMASTA Regular Member • Posts: 281
Re: a7c gyro data + catalyst browse + OSS
1

Hopefully with time the other video editing softwares like final cut and premiere will be able to utilize gyro data. Having to use a separate software just for that is annoying in and of itself even if it doesn't crash on my machine.

Markr041 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,615
Re: a7c gyro data + catalyst browse + OSS

Mr_Win wrote:

teddoman wrote:

Mr_Win wrote:

REDMASTA wrote:

Recently jumped ship from the micro four thirds system and picked up the a7c

Looking for a wide zoom lens for video and deciding between the Sony 16-35 f4 and the Tamron 17-28 f2.8.

I understand to utilize the gyro data on the a7c with catalyst browse I need to leave the IBIS off. My question is can I still use the OSS in the Sony lens along with using gyro data in catalyst browse?

If so this makes my lens decision quite simple and I will go for the Sony lens.

Thanks!

Catalyst browse is horrible software, making buying decisions based on that is a bad idea

I've had my problems with it but horrible is maybe going too far. It's buggy, which may be disappointing if you're used to non-buggy software that works every time perfectly. I'm only using it for casual video and not pro stuff so for me it's fine.

I also wonder if maybe it'd perform better if I upgraded to a more powerful workstation and that it sometimes fails to export because of something to do with my hardware.

It’s not usable from a practical POV. Cannot batch process, DOA at this point. Takes a long time, video quality is not the same as original, insult to injury.

Sony is a second rate software company.

I agree not being able to batch process is a big headache. But, of course the video quality of the rendered, stabilized video is not the same - the clips are cropped for stabilization. So, the resolution goes down. That is the way it works with any in-post stabilization, gyro or not. This will never be "fixed."

Note that it is claimed that active stabilization (which uses the gyro information in real time) does not degrade resolution, as the extra sensor pixels are used to create a true 4K clip. There are no extra pixels in the 4K clips, so resolution has to go down applying gyro stabilization in post.

 Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-5 +14 more
Mr_Win Contributing Member • Posts: 970
Re: a7c gyro data + catalyst browse + OSS

Markr041 wrote:

Mr_Win wrote:

teddoman wrote:

Mr_Win wrote:

REDMASTA wrote:

Recently jumped ship from the micro four thirds system and picked up the a7c

Looking for a wide zoom lens for video and deciding between the Sony 16-35 f4 and the Tamron 17-28 f2.8.

I understand to utilize the gyro data on the a7c with catalyst browse I need to leave the IBIS off. My question is can I still use the OSS in the Sony lens along with using gyro data in catalyst browse?

If so this makes my lens decision quite simple and I will go for the Sony lens.

Thanks!

Catalyst browse is horrible software, making buying decisions based on that is a bad idea

I've had my problems with it but horrible is maybe going too far. It's buggy, which may be disappointing if you're used to non-buggy software that works every time perfectly. I'm only using it for casual video and not pro stuff so for me it's fine.

I also wonder if maybe it'd perform better if I upgraded to a more powerful workstation and that it sometimes fails to export because of something to do with my hardware.

It’s not usable from a practical POV. Cannot batch process, DOA at this point. Takes a long time, video quality is not the same as original, insult to injury.

Sony is a second rate software company.

I agree not being able to batch process is a big headache. But, of course the video quality of the rendered, stabilized video is not the same - the clips are cropped for stabilization. So, the resolution goes down. That is the way it works with any in-post stabilization, gyro or not. This will never be "fixed."

Note that it is claimed that active stabilization (which uses the gyro information in real time) does not degrade resolution, as the extra sensor pixels are used to create a true 4K clip. There are no extra pixels in the 4K clips, so resolution has to go down applying gyro stabilization in post.

not talking about pixels, lost pixels are expected.  if you record in 10 bit, you cant output to 10 bit.

Markr041 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,615
Re: a7c gyro data + catalyst browse + OSS

Mr_Win wrote:

Markr041 wrote:

Mr_Win wrote:

teddoman wrote:

Mr_Win wrote:

REDMASTA wrote:

Recently jumped ship from the micro four thirds system and picked up the a7c

Looking for a wide zoom lens for video and deciding between the Sony 16-35 f4 and the Tamron 17-28 f2.8.

I understand to utilize the gyro data on the a7c with catalyst browse I need to leave the IBIS off. My question is can I still use the OSS in the Sony lens along with using gyro data in catalyst browse?

If so this makes my lens decision quite simple and I will go for the Sony lens.

Thanks!

Catalyst browse is horrible software, making buying decisions based on that is a bad idea

I've had my problems with it but horrible is maybe going too far. It's buggy, which may be disappointing if you're used to non-buggy software that works every time perfectly. I'm only using it for casual video and not pro stuff so for me it's fine.

I also wonder if maybe it'd perform better if I upgraded to a more powerful workstation and that it sometimes fails to export because of something to do with my hardware.

It’s not usable from a practical POV. Cannot batch process, DOA at this point. Takes a long time, video quality is not the same as original, insult to injury.

Sony is a second rate software company.

I agree not being able to batch process is a big headache. But, of course the video quality of the rendered, stabilized video is not the same - the clips are cropped for stabilization. So, the resolution goes down. That is the way it works with any in-post stabilization, gyro or not. This will never be "fixed."

Note that it is claimed that active stabilization (which uses the gyro information in real time) does not degrade resolution, as the extra sensor pixels are used to create a true 4K clip. There are no extra pixels in the 4K clips, so resolution has to go down applying gyro stabilization in post.

not talking about pixels, lost pixels are expected. if you record in 10 bit, you cant output to 10 bit.

That's an important shortcoming, but one only relevant to cameras that can shoot in 10bit. I am glad you now make that clear.

I agree with you, using Catalyst Browse to stabilize video from the a7s iii is not a good idea.

 Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-5 +14 more
teddoman
teddoman Senior Member • Posts: 2,829
Re: a7c gyro data + catalyst browse + OSS

Just for curiosity's sake, I stabilized some video and checked my computer performance. The CPU was pinned at 100% and the GPU was only at 30%. So whatever Catalyst Browse does to render video, it wasn't even taxing enough to use my GPU all that much. I'm currently on an i5-9400 2.9 Ghz with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650, which is a pretty basic Dell workstation.

-- hide signature --

Ted
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tedchang/
C&C is encouraged, I'm always learning

 teddoman's gear list:teddoman's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7C Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 50mm F2 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +7 more
teddoman
teddoman Senior Member • Posts: 2,829
Re: a7c gyro data + catalyst browse + OSS

I have A7C footage from two particular days that Catalyst Browse simply with not render for me. All footage from those days has the same problem. Other days do not have the same problem. I was eventually able to get Catalyst Browse to export stabilized footage, even if it didn't always work on the first try. But for two days of footage, I simply can't get Catalyst Browse to render the footage. That suggests to me that some glitch is affecting the footage and that it may not be Catalyst Browse but might in fact be a problem with the footage, like maybe the gyro metadata did not record properly or something on that particular day. Or maybe a glitch was introduced during the import process on my computer. (I import photos and video using Photo Mechanic.)

-- hide signature --

Ted
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tedchang/
C&C is encouraged, I'm always learning

 teddoman's gear list:teddoman's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7C Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 50mm F2 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads