ISO performance X-Trans 3 vs X-Trans 4

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
d88n Junior Member • Posts: 31
ISO performance X-Trans 3 vs X-Trans 4

Hi,

Until a while ago I only photographed with the X-T2, X-H1 and X100F, all X-Trans 3 sensors. When the X100V was released, I immediately updated to this camera, if only because of the new lens. I really liked the images. I am now back to an X-Pro3 (really like the X-Pro 3! Previously had X-Pro1) as I shoot a lot with prime lenses. I updated my X-T2 to the X-T3 during the winter sale. It strikes me now that the X-T3 and X-Pro3 (with X-Trans 4) handle high ISO values less well than the previous sensor. More who suffer from this? It's not a big deal, but it does strike me.

d88n's gear list:d88n's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS WR
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 3,426
Re: ISO performance X-Trans 3 vs X-Trans 4

My X100V seems maybe a tad better than the X-T3 I had briefly but, at very high ISOs, both fall a bit short of what I can get out of the X-T2/X-T20. With some modifications to my post processing they are pretty close, though.

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
jslade797 Regular Member • Posts: 265

I think the general concensus is that the newer sensor is a bit noisier, but retains a touch more detail. Not that much in it, though!

-- hide signature --

Instagram - @jontyslade

jslade797's gear list:jslade797's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm X-T2 +2 more
Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 3,426

jslade797 wrote:

I think the general concensus is that the newer sensor is a bit noisier, but retains a touch more detail. Not that much in it, though!

In my experience the newer sensor does not retain more detail, and actually comes up quite a bit short if you clean up the noise enough to match the old sensor. YMMV.

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
blink667 Contributing Member • Posts: 873

d88n wrote:

Hi,

Until a while ago I only photographed with the X-T2, X-H1 and X100F, all X-Trans 3 sensors. When the X100V was released, I immediately updated to this camera, if only because of the new lens. I really liked the images. I am now back to an X-Pro3 (really like the X-Pro 3! Previously had X-Pro1) as I shoot a lot with prime lenses. I updated my X-T2 to the X-T3 during the winter sale. It strikes me now that the X-T3 and X-Pro3 (with X-Trans 4) handle high ISO values less well than the previous sensor. More who suffer from this? It's not a big deal, but it does strike me.

I have the XT4 after previously owning an XT1 and there is slightly, emphasis on slightly, more noise at comparable high ISO, but I'm not suffering from this in the least.

blink667's gear list:blink667's gear list
Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Forum Pro • Posts: 11,826

The difference is basically a nit.  The X-Trans 4 is base ISO 160 while the X-Trans 3 is 200.  At base ISO my Pro3 was a little better ( but the operative term is little) than my Pro2.

At high ISO it is pretty much a wash.  There is some minor difference in the rendering but again it is a wash. My preference but not by much is the Pro3 over the Pro2 but most that preference combines from the lower base ISO.

-- hide signature --

_____
"The winds of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears," Arabic Proverb
__
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +12 more
William Loney
William Loney Regular Member • Posts: 416

d88n wrote:

Hi,

You are correct. Very slight edge in high ISO with my X-T2 as opposed to my X-T3s.

Just requires a little more care in the PP of images.

William Loney's gear list:William Loney's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads