Nikon Z7II + BlackMagic or R5

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Bohumir New Member • Posts: 2
Nikon Z7II + BlackMagic or R5

Hi folks, I’m on the edge of buying Canon R5 with RF 50 1.2 and 70-200 2.8 however Z7II with future BlackMagic setup looks interesting. The problem is I know a lot about stills but I’m newbie in terms of video.

I honestly think new Z glasses are a bit ahead than RF ones, new 12-24, 50 1.2 and also 24-70 are imho the best whereas the 70-200’s drawback is its size against RF version.

And here is the question, with my wife we expect a baby, meaning capturing its life will simply become my life mission.

Prio 1 stills, skin colors, bokeh, eye AF speed and accuracy…

Prio 2 4k 25 and 60p, low iso performance, DR, eye AF accuracy, focus breathing

With R5 this all is more than possible, but what about Z7II with upgraded RAW and Ninja V?

Does anybody know, how the output will look like in terms of quality, DR against R5? I could find that this setup will be limited to 4k 30p?

Unfortunately Z6 is simply too much limiting for my work (landscape) so I need some kind of all rounder which R5 really is (overheating won’t be an issue – 5min clips).

Will be really happy for your opinions.

Thank you.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS R5 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Varuas Contributing Member • Posts: 728
Re: Nikon Z7II + BlackMagic or R5

If you want serious video, Z7II gets destroyed by R5. Not even close. The only advantages of Z7II with the external monitor(versus standalone R5) are HDR monitoring and cheaper recording media.

Varuas's gear list:Varuas's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Nikon D600 Nikon Z6 YI 4K+ Action Camera Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +4 more
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 21,216

Varuas wrote:

If you want serious video, Z7II gets destroyed by R5. Not even close. The only advantages of Z7II with the external monitor(versus standalone R5) are HDR monitoring and cheaper recording media.

If you get "seriously serious" about video - a 5 minute clip can easily be a 5 GB file size.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +25 more
Varuas Contributing Member • Posts: 728

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Varuas wrote:

If you get "seriously serious" about video - a 5 minute clip can easily be a 5 GB file size.

True. When shooting high quality video, you really have to plan out. Shoot perhaps 10second clips (for family videos). Do not shoot long and drawn out clips; they get shortened during editing  anyway. I have found 10seconds to may be 15seconds clips are enough when finally putting everything together during editing .

The principles are same as spraying-and-praying stills shooting where each raw photo takes 30MB and your XQD card fills up after 500 stills. A 250 GB SSD costs $30, so it is a bit more economical for video.

Varuas's gear list:Varuas's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Nikon D600 Nikon Z6 YI 4K+ Action Camera Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +4 more
NickZ2016 Senior Member • Posts: 1,802

If the OP is willing to deal with the external with the Z7 he should use one with the R5.

If I understand correctly BM raw is only available if you use one of the BM recorders. The model that supports raw is the more expensive 7inch. OTOH the R5 would likely be fine with the Ninja and just Prores. Unless the OP want 8k raw internally for some reason.

That means the price difference between the R5 and the Z7 is mostly eaten up by the raw firmware and the higher cost BM recorder.

That leaves the OP to decide what matters more. Video or stills quality.

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +4 more
sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,491

Filming the birth and life of a child is awesome. And quite frankly, any FF Z or new Canon should be more than up for the task unless you are hoping for an Academy Award. Or rolling in cash, and then its a moot point. A Penny GH may also be worth investigating.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads