Photolab4/LR issue

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Basophil Junior Member • Posts: 38
Photolab4/LR issue

I'm a long-time LR user, but I purchased Photolab 4 because of its noise reduction capabilities.   I have been doing my initial editing on a RAW file in LR and then exporting to Photolab4 for noise reduction.  However, when I transfer to Photolab, I find that my LR adjustments have been cancelled.   It just opens as an unedited RAW file.   Is there any way around this?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
BillyBobSenna
BillyBobSenna Senior Member • Posts: 2,589
Re: Photolab4/LR issue

Basophil wrote:

I'm a long-time LR user, but I purchased Photolab 4 because of its noise reduction capabilities. I have been doing my initial editing on a RAW file in LR and then exporting to Photolab4 for noise reduction. However, when I transfer to Photolab, I find that my LR adjustments have been cancelled. It just opens as an unedited RAW file. Is there any way around this?

sorry no help here. I tried PL with Lr and gave up. I now use Lr and Topaz.

-- hide signature --

Bill - Beverly Hills, MI
Motorsports Photography
www.billgulkerphotography.com

BillyBobSenna's gear list:BillyBobSenna's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
OP Basophil Junior Member • Posts: 38

BillyBobSenna wrote:

Basophil wrote:

I'm a long-time LR user, but I purchased Photolab 4 because of its noise reduction capabilities. I have been doing my initial editing on a RAW file in LR and then exporting to Photolab4 for noise reduction. However, when I transfer to Photolab, I find that my LR adjustments have been cancelled. It just opens as an unedited RAW file. Is there any way around this?

-- hide signature --

Hi BillyBob - I'm on the verge of giving up as well.  I don't think LR and PL4 interface very well.   How do you find Topaz with LR?

Cariboou
Cariboou Veteran Member • Posts: 3,322

Well,

I try and you are right, is a bug and must to be fixed!

-- hide signature --
 Cariboou's gear list:Cariboou's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
Richard James Regular Member • Posts: 299

Basophil wrote:

I've been using LR and DXO for years.

Both are RAW file editors, so I would not expect something done in LR to be exported as a RAW file that you can then edit in DXO. And the same the other way around.

My process is the opposite of yours, DxO first, then further editing in PS or LR.

Save the DXO edits as a tif/psd, then import into LR and then do what you need there.

Richard

Sagittarius Veteran Member • Posts: 7,236

No, there is nothing you can do about it. I have LR where I do all my edits to RAW file. The only case I would use DXO PL4 if I use DeepPrime. In this case I process RAW file in DXO, than transfer to LR as DNG file.

-- hide signature --

Best regards

Sagittarius's gear list:Sagittarius's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +5 more
Lloyd O'Daniel Regular Member • Posts: 481

PL has to be first in the workflow to use its Prime/DeepPrime NR as those require a raw file. If you want to do your edits in LR, you can first go into PL and apply Optical Corrections only (there is a preset for that) and/or just do the NR. Be sure that your default correction is "no correction" or Optical corrections only". Apply the NR and export as a DNG for editing in LR. There are explicit DNG export options for LR that carry either all PL corrections or Optical and Denoise only as well.

BillyBobSenna
BillyBobSenna Senior Member • Posts: 2,589

Basophil wrote:

BillyBobSenna wrote:

Basophil wrote:

Part of the problem trying to use PL as a Lr plugin is it was not really designed for this type of usage.

Tapaz works great with Lr. Seamless plugin. Download the trial. Very impressive.

-- hide signature --

Bill - Beverly Hills, MI
Motorsports Photography
www.billgulkerphotography.com

BillyBobSenna's gear list:BillyBobSenna's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 4,444

Basophil wrote:

That's the way it is supposed to work as DXO-Photolab Elite's PRIME /DeepPrime noise reduction works during demosaicing, and not on the RGB data like everything else. This is also why PRIME /DeepPrime cannot be used on Tif or jpg images.

Most efficient way of working is to simply open the folder in DXO and process whatever images you want to Tif/jpg so that you can get the benefits of DXO's lens corrections, noise reduction etc. and then sync the folder in LR.

You also have the option of using your favourite LR colour profile if you want because DXO can use DCP profiles.

Ian

alan scott Regular Member • Posts: 465

My workflow is as follows because I like to use LRC as my 'central' application and pull others in as needed,

In LRC:

- File/Plug-In Extras/Transfer to Photolab - this transfers the RAW file to PL4 and opens it.

- Do what you want in PL4 - Deep Prime works on the RAW file only

- Export to Lightroom - I use TIFF

- Finish off in LRC or use other plugins if wanted

alan scott's gear list:alan scott's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +12 more
Duckman21 Forum Member • Posts: 87

As others have said, process with Photolab 4 first and export to DNG first to do such adjustments in LR. I you intend on increasing shadows along with using DeepPRIME, increasing exposure in PL4 by 1 or 2 stops and exporting with "all corrections" might be better than just exporting with regular options.

One annoyance I've encountered is that if my source file is DNG, LR will import the file from PL4 with chromatic aberration correction and luminance noise reduction of 25, despite me not putting these initial settings (these are, however, SOME of my imported settings for LR). It also loads the images with a different colour science which I actually prefer, but I cannot save it as a new profile. It lists itself as "Adobe Colour" but is more vivid and has a slider, until i change to another profile. After I do that I cannot revert back unless I use Undo. I also get a lot of export failures especially if multiple GPU-running programs are being used - relaunching usually fixes the issue temporarily.

-- hide signature --

Instagram @FYLegend21
500px @frankyboy5

Duckman21's gear list:Duckman21's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM
OP Basophil Junior Member • Posts: 38

Duckman21 wrote:

....I also get a lot of export failures especially if multiple GPU-running programs are being used - relaunching usually fixes the issue temporarily.

I get that too.  Quite often.   Hopefully this will be rectified with updates.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads