Macro on Fuji 50r

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
David Mintzer Contributing Member • Posts: 833
Macro on Fuji 50r

I'm thinking of purchasing the Fuji and was wondering what lense(s) you guys are using for macro photography.  Thanks in advance.

David Mintzer's gear list:David Mintzer's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +4 more
Erik Kaffehr
Erik Kaffehr Veteran Member • Posts: 6,287
Re: Macro on Fuji 50r

David Mintzer wrote:

I'm thinking of purchasing the Fuji and was wondering what lense(s) you guys are using for macro photography. Thanks in advance.

What imaging scale do you need?

Best regards

Erik

-- hide signature --

Erik Kaffehr
Magic uses to disappear in controlled experiments…
Gallery: http://echophoto.smugmug.com
Articles: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles

JimKasson
MOD JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 36,013

David Mintzer wrote:

I'm thinking of purchasing the Fuji and was wondering what lense(s) you guys are using for macro photography. Thanks in advance.

Fuji 120/4 G-mount lens, sometimes with 45 mm tube, for the vast majority of my images.

These work well, too:

• CO 60/4 UV-VIS-IR
  • Schneider 90/4.5 Apo-Componon enlarging lens.
-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Sony a7R IV Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a9 II +1 more
Rob de Loe
Rob de Loe Senior Member • Posts: 1,441

David Mintzer wrote:

SMC Pentax-A 645 120mm f/2 Macro lens (or the FA version -- same optics) is an excellent and inexpensive choice. It will take you to 1:1 without extension tubes.

I'm using the Schneider Kreuznach Makro-Symmar 120mm f/5.9 (but that requires more bits and pieces than using the Fuji 120mm macro, or the Pentax).

tokyowalker Regular Member • Posts: 152

David Mintzer wrote:

On camera directly:

Contax 645 Zeiss Apo-Makro-Planar 4/120 via a manual iris EF adapter to a Cambo EF-GFX Adapter

I’m going to get the Fuji GF 4/120 Almost-A-Macro & 45mm extension ring soon though as I want to try in-camera stacking which requires AF drive.

With body attached to the technical camera I have a few lenses which I’ll be paring down to one or two mainly for 4x5 but secondarily for digital:

Schneider-Kreuznach Makro-Symmar 5.6/80 (new)

Schneider-Kreuznach M-Componon 4/80

Plus a couple of non APO Rodagons, Componon-S, etc etc.  It’s a bad habit I’m going to quit.  I’ve stopped chasing MTFs and resolution tests etc lately because I don’t take pictures of line charts or semiconductors. Mostly florals and natural elements with organic structures.

I also have my eyes set on a Sigma 2.8/180 Apo DG OS with a Techart Adapter.

OP David Mintzer Contributing Member • Posts: 833

Thanks for all the suggestions--I was reading up on the 120 but now I have more research to do---!!!! Almost ready to pull the trigger!

Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +4 more
tokyowalker Regular Member • Posts: 152

David Mintzer wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions--I was reading up on the 120 but now I have more research to do---!!!! Almost ready to pull the trigger!

If you’re not hauling legacy world class glass  er, baggage, like a lot of people are , just go straight for the native almost-a-macro 4/120 & 45mm extension. That’s what I’m dying to do in Q1.

Wildbegonia
Wildbegonia Senior Member • Posts: 1,018
Macro for Pentax

Salve!

I have a Pentax K200D to which I would like to add a Macro lens (1:1). It is long I want to get into macro so I thought to start with this camera and move forward from there. My only limitation is that I can not use a lens which will compromise the AF of the camera or the lens. I am involuntarily dependent on AF due to vision degeneration.

Any suggestions? Thank you all in advance.

-- hide signature --

'Balls! Said the Queen, if I have them, I'll be the King'.
“Whatever!” - The Millennial. (my quote)

Wildbegonia's gear list:Wildbegonia's gear list
Pentax K200D
Macro guy
Macro guy Veteran Member • Posts: 5,690

David Mintzer wrote:

The Fuji system doesn't have native macro capabilities much beyond lifesize.  If you need to go beyond that, you're looking at adapting something or other whether an enlarging lens, a microscope objective, a reverse mounted lens, or whatever else.  Look into adapting Mamiya, Pentacon Six or Bronica or Novoflex bellows onto the Fuji and then adapting whatever objective lens to that.  You might also want to look into adapting Canon MP-E 65mm lens, which will allow you to go to 5x lifesize without any other accessories, although I don't know if its image circle is large enough to cover 33x44 sensor, although it should be at higher magnifications.

All of these options are not difficult to do, but it's not the same as having native macro support beyond 1:1

Macro guy's gear list:Macro guy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +4 more
Macro guy
Macro guy Veteran Member • Posts: 5,690
Re: Macro for Pentax

Wildbegonia wrote:

Salve!

I have a Pentax K200D to which I would like to add a Macro lens (1:1). It is long I want to get into macro so I thought to start with this camera and move forward from there. My only limitation is that I can not use a lens which will compromise the AF of the camera or the lens. I am involuntarily dependent on AF due to vision degeneration.

The higher the magnification, the less useful AF becomes.  Even at 1:1, it's not all that useful.

Macro guy's gear list:Macro guy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +4 more
JimKasson
MOD JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 36,013

Macro guy wrote:

David Mintzer wrote:

The Fuji system doesn't have native macro capabilities much beyond lifesize. If you need to go beyond that, you're looking at adapting something or other whether an enlarging lens, a microscope objective, a reverse mounted lens, or whatever else.

Most enlarging lenses are designed to, well, enlarge, so they’ll need to be reversed, too.

Look into adapting Mamiya, Pentacon Six or Bronica or Novoflex bellows onto the Fuji and then adapting whatever objective lens to that. You might also want to look into adapting Canon MP-E 65mm lens, which will allow you to go to 5x lifesize without any other accessories, although I don't know if its image circle is large enough to cover 33x44 sensor, although it should be at higher magnifications.

All of these options are not difficult to do, but it's not the same as having native macro support beyond 1:1

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Sony a7R IV Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a9 II +1 more
DHAPhotography
DHAPhotography Contributing Member • Posts: 841
Re: Macro for Pentax

Wildbegonia wrote:

Salve!

I think you will be fine with the K200D and the DFA 100mm Macro, with these caveats. This is an older Pentax body and I once owned a similarly aged camera in the K20D. I found this camera to hunt in AF in low light. It was fine in good light and AF worked well, but low light would be a problem and often. That being said, I think you would have no problem with the superior AF of a newer model KP and in low light as well. I often use Pentax and Sigma macros (1:1) on my K3 and even these combinations can have difficulty focusing in low light. Also, due to my wanting to often focus close up at maximum magnification I have found that I leave my camera on MF most of the time when in less than good light.  Best to you. Don

-- hide signature --

DH Allison...Carpe Diem...the Reaper comes soon enough.

DHAPhotography's gear list:DHAPhotography's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
OP David Mintzer Contributing Member • Posts: 833

Want to thank all for their input.  Now----I need to reanalyze and eventually pull the trigger!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads