Canon 70d red noice

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
ash92 New Member • Posts: 4
Canon 70d red noice

First, I apologize for my bad English. I got a gift for my birthday Canon 70d, and then I noticed there was a problem. In dark areas or poorly exposed areas makes this a problem. These are original files without processing. I shot in RAW the same problem remains. I turned off the noise-pushing still remains the problem. With noise suppressing on, too, the problem remains. I changed lenses, and there's still no difference. I restarted the settings at least 1000 times . The camera has been bought second-hand and there is no guarantee. At light exposures, that's fine.

Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Johnw12
Johnw12 Contributing Member • Posts: 549
Re: Canon 70d red noice

I'm not sure what you mean by problem? But to me those are remarkable photos that to me show a real talent for photography. When I first saw them before reading your post my first impression was wow what detail and the mood is excellent.

if you are having a problem with noise that is to be expected with the 70D. Its an old camera but it is a very good one. With good noise reduction such as DXO's PhotoLabs Elite 4 with it's Prime and the new Deep Prime noise should no longer be an issue.

The technical aspects of photography can be learned. What you are showing above is something that can not be taught. You have it and I hope you will never stop taking pictures.

They may not be in perfect focus but the over all quality of the composition is outstanding.

Johnw12's gear list:Johnw12's gear list
Olympus E-20 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 90D
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 4,294

Johnw12 wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by problem? But to me those are remarkable photos that to me show a real talent for photography. When I first saw them before reading your post my first impression was wow what detail and the mood is excellent.

I am not sure if you are joking or if you didn't look at the images, but the first two in particular are just awful. I am not referring to composition because the OP didn't ask about composition - he/she asked about the weird red noise pattern. The red speckled pattern in the dark areas is absolutely not normal - for any camera, never mind a 70D.

You shouldn't get red noise like that at ISO 25600, never mind 400. If it was just "normal" digital photographic noise due to high ISO or really bad light, then yes, perhaps process it out, but there is nothing "normal" about this.

if you are having a problem with noise that is to be expected with the 70D. Its an old camera but it is a very good one. With good noise reduction such as DXO's PhotoLabs Elite 4 with it's Prime and the new Deep Prime noise should no longer be an issue.

The technical aspects of photography can be learned. What you are showing above is something that can not be taught. You have it and I hope you will never stop taking pictures.

They may not be in perfect focus but the over all quality of the composition is outstanding.

To OP;

That is seriously not right. I owned a 70D for several years and never saw anything like that before.

Have you tried doing a factory reset on the camera ? Often previous owners have done some weird stuff in the settings. Did the previous owner convert it for a special purpose ( remove or install a special filter on the sensor maybe ?

If that doesn't help, I would suggest that perhaps something is faulty with the camera - sensor, electronics etc - may not be a cost effective fix.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
Kameratrollet Regular Member • Posts: 480

I have seen this two times before. 70D in both cases. When I checked the bayer pattern in RawTherapee some columns were dead. Every fourth I think.

John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 24,341

Andy01 wrote:

Have you tried doing a factory reset on the camera ? Often previous owners have done some weird stuff in the settings.

If that does not work, applying the latest firmware from Canon's website might help. If the applied firmware is newer, it will update, and if it is the same, it will re-write any corrupted firmware.

I think it may be possibly corrupt firmware because of the fact that this is only happening in the red channel, and half of the green pixels share a scan of the same pixel rows as the red pixels, and you might expect a hardware error to affect both the red pixels, and half of the green pixels.

It looks like the red values, below a certain level, are being posterized and boosted, for some reason.

S Castle
S Castle Senior Member • Posts: 1,147

John Sheehy wrote:

applying the latest firmware from Canon's website might help.

Exif data says it's at 1.1.3, which is latest.

I think it overheated at some point and sustained damage from that. At any rate, I think the sensor or the processing chips have some kind of damage.

-- hide signature --

Shane

John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 24,341

scastle wrote:

John Sheehy wrote:

I think it overheated at some point and sustained damage from that. At any rate, I think the sensor or the processing chips have some kind of damage.

The fact that the OP has the latest firmware does not mean that it can't be corrupted.

S Castle
S Castle Senior Member • Posts: 1,147

John Sheehy wrote:

scastle wrote:

John Sheehy wrote:

The fact that the OP has the latest firmware does not mean that it can't be corrupted.

Then by all means, have the OP perform a factory reset followed by a firmware update attempt. Then we can see if the problem persists. It's worth a shot, anyhow.

-- hide signature --

Shane

Johnw12
Johnw12 Contributing Member • Posts: 549

I would take a few shots in good light in the daytime and then see what the shadows look like

Johnw12's gear list:Johnw12's gear list
Olympus E-20 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 90D
Kameratrollet Regular Member • Posts: 480

Kameratrollet wrote:

I have seen this two times before. 70D in both cases. When I checked the bayer pattern in RawTherapee some columns were dead. Every fourth I think.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/Red-Grain-in-the-Under-Exposed-portions-of-the-Image-Canon-70D/m-p/282386

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/20366iDDB85ED4D844B1E6/image-size/original

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads