50mm 1.8 prime on Z6

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Yavor Nikolov Forum Member • Posts: 82
50mm 1.8 prime on Z6

I have the old 50mm 1.8G I used with my DSLR and find it working very nicely with the FTZ on my Z6. The lens is small and light enough not to be disbalancing with the FTZ. I know the great reviews of the 50mm  Z 1.8S but have anyone made a side by side comparison of the two lenses? The 1.8G used to have a pretty good reputation, the AF is fast enough with the FTZ on my Z6 and the face recognition with Af-C works good enough for me when shooting my family. Do you think it makes sense going to the dedicated Z lens in this case, will I see a step forward in IQ? My other idea was to spend the same money for the 50mm 1.4G instead of the Z1.8 S maybe...  Any thoughts?

Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Parks71a Regular Member • Posts: 402
Re: 50mm 1.8 prime on Z6

I just bought it, shot about 10 shots of the dog and shot about 10 with the G version, all at 1.8. The S was so much sharper at 1.8, flawless.

I mixed up the photos in lightroom and showed my nonphotographer wife. She was able to pick out every single photo from the 1.8S. the difference wide open is quite incredible. I didn't test it stopped down because if I'm going to stop it down much id probably just use my 24-70.

BTW, I have until the end of the year to return it, I thought, it better be good for me to keep this and it is that good. It's on sale right now.

I also bought the 14-30 but returned it, I wasn't that impressed for the money.

yangyongjun Junior Member • Posts: 38

I'm happily using this same combo on my Z6. However, I'm looking forward to switching to the Z version. I didn't buy the G lens on purpose but rather was given it by a friend who hardly uses it.

What stood out to me was how soft it is at F1.8, and how drastically sharper it is at F2.5 and above. Coming from M4/3, the idea of stopping down just for sharpness was foreign to me, and now I understand what people mean by older SLR lenses not being sharp wide open.

yangyongjun's gear list:yangyongjun's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus PEN E-PL2 +5 more
BurnImage
BurnImage Senior Member • Posts: 1,186

I think Photography Life sums it up better than I ever could:

“As you can see, the Z-mount lens absolutely destroys the F-mount lens in sharpness. The Nikon Z 50mm f/1.8 S is almost as sharp wide open at f/1.8 as the 50mm f/1.8G is when stopped down to f/4, which is insane!”

https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-z-50mm-f1-8-s/3

That’s hardly surprising because the 50mm 1.8S is widely regarded as one of the best 50mm lenses by anyone ever. I have a copy and I concur with that sentiment. It’s the bargain of the S line lenses too.

-- hide signature --
 BurnImage's gear list:BurnImage's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 II Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +4 more
thisisbenji Regular Member • Posts: 210

I have both and it’s really not even close. The 50mm 1.8S is worth every penny.

The 50mm 1.8G is a great lens too, but at f/4.... the 50mm 1.8 on the other hand feels like it’s as sharp at f/1.8 as the 1.8G is at f/4.

What I like about the 50mm 1.8G is that I picked it up for $120 and it fits my D610 that I picked up for $515, so it ends up being a really cheap combo that I don’t have to worry about.

For my Z body though, the Z glass is definitely the way to go.

Rico Schiekel
Rico Schiekel Regular Member • Posts: 425

I did a small informal test here: https://www.downgra.de/Geek/Nikon-50mm-shoot-out/ and here https://www.downgra.de/Geek/Adapted-50mm-Shootout/

As already mentioned in the thread, the S version is crazy sharp wide open whereas you have to step down the old G version to f/2.8-f/4 to reach the same sharpness. The S is also much better corrected.

If it's worth the money is up to you of course. Except the two exotics, the new S f/1.2 and the Noct, there is not much available which is significantly better than the 50mm f/1.8 S for the Z mount at the moment imho.

HTH,
Rico

Rico Schiekel's gear list:Rico Schiekel's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Voigtlander 12mm F5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar +14 more
Varuas Contributing Member • Posts: 728
G vs S is not even close

S is S.H.A.R.P. across the frame at f/1.8.

G is Good at f/1.8 and not sharp across the frame.

50mm f/1.8S is money well spent IMO and I did just that. This is the lens I use for 90% of the time. I have not yet used the 50mm f/1.8G since I bought the S lens. It is not as much to use.

Varuas's gear list:Varuas's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Nikon D600 Nikon Z6 YI 4K+ Action Camera Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +4 more
JasonTheBirder
JasonTheBirder Senior Member • Posts: 1,568

Photographylife compared them.

However, just having seen shots wide open with the S version, I can say that the G version which I own is destroyed by the S version. The G version is actually good f/2.8 or smaller, but wide open it is pretty soft. My Pentax-A 50mm f/1/.7 introduced in 1984 is actually sharper at f/1.7 than the G is at f/1.8.

When stopped down though the G is actually a really outstanding lens. But even then the S is better.

So many people are selling their S version on forums like here and FM for around $500 that it's pretty much a no-brained to get one if you like that focal length.

BasilG Veteran Member • Posts: 8,385

Yavor Nikolov wrote:

I have the old 50mm 1.8G I used with my DSLR and find it working very nicely with the FTZ on my Z6. The lens is small and light enough not to be disbalancing with the FTZ. I know the great reviews of the 50mm Z 1.8S but have anyone made a side by side comparison of the two lenses? The 1.8G used to have a pretty good reputation, the AF is fast enough with the FTZ on my Z6 and the face recognition with Af-C works good enough for me when shooting my family. Do you think it makes sense going to the dedicated Z lens in this case, will I see a step forward in IQ? My other idea was to spend the same money for the 50mm 1.4G instead of the Z1.8 S maybe... Any thoughts?

I've had two versions of the 50/1.8 (D and G) as well as the 50/1.4 D. I have not formally compared them side-by-side, but I am positive that the Z-lens blows them out of the water. It's spectacularly good.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads