Best Holiday Lens

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
AW9nineteen Regular Member • Posts: 108
Best Holiday Lens

Hey Everyone,

The time has come for me to sell/trade in my Zeiss 50 for something wider for inside shots. Just had my third baby this year and holiday photos and birthdays can be rough inside, being as the 50 is the lens with the least reach that I own. I have a 24-105, but of course I would like to open it up more inside.

any suggestions? I was thinking 35 is the sweet spot.

AW9nineteen's gear list:AW9nineteen's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
QuietOC
QuietOC Veteran Member • Posts: 4,608
Re: Best Holiday Lens

There is always a depth-of-field/brightness tradeoff, but brighter lenses can be nice in low light. Wide bright primes are handy indoors. A 20mm is nice to have in small rooms. Sigma has a crazy 14mm F1.8 now.

I am sure I will use the Rokinon 35mm F1.8 this year.

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Pentax Q7 NEX-5T Sony a7R II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +97 more
daqk Contributing Member • Posts: 916

I found myself started to re-use my sleepy FE2470 Zeiss this week. It is quite useful range for casual events except F4, and it is tiny!

If I know indoor without sufficient light, I still would bring my Batis 25 (F2), or I just put Tamron 28-75 F2.8 but I might miss slightly on wide (group shots etc.). For an alternative of 50MM, I think Tamron might do OK.

For OP, just to mention B25 is such a compact lens ... I actually carry it with me on crop body A6xxx very oftern.

tonyz1 Contributing Member • Posts: 556

AW9nineteen wrote:

Hey Everyone,

The time has come for me to sell/trade in my Zeiss 50 for something wider for inside shots. Just had my third baby this year and holiday photos and birthdays can be rough inside, being as the 50 is the lens with the least reach that I own. I have a 24-105, but of course I would like to open it up more inside.

SIgma 24-70mm f2.8 DG DN is my do-everything lens. There are other lenses that do well I have that are good at specific things but if you want a lens that will do well for everything indoors, then that's the lens to get. Or the GM version of it. The f2.8 vs f4 is meaningful for indoors.

tonyz1's gear list:tonyz1's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +1 more
JpGomez Contributing Member • Posts: 512

AW9nineteen wrote:

Hey Everyone,

I switched from ZA55 to FE35 and never looked back. Also changed my long time setup FE28+ZA55 to SY18+FE35+FE85.

FE35 lives 90% on the camera, and its close focus is also nice to feature have which was lacking with ZA55. Also, I find 35mm FOV is a lot better to work with indoors than the 55. You can close in to fill the frame for tighter shot and step back to get "more" in the frame.

-- hide signature --

The best gear is the one you have at that moment.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jpgomez/

JpGomez's gear list:JpGomez's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Samyang AF 18mm F2.8 FE Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 FE
AlephNull Senior Member • Posts: 2,419

AW9nineteen wrote:

Hey Everyone,

Put your 24-105 on the camera and try different focal lengths - see what suits you best. You might find that the 24 GM suits you better, or a 28mm, instead of a 35mm...

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +4 more
OP AW9nineteen Regular Member • Posts: 108

AlephNull wrote:

AW9nineteen wrote:

Hey Everyone,

Put your 24-105 on the camera and try different focal lengths - see what suits you best. You might find that the 24 GM suits you better, or a 28mm, instead of a 35mm...

Thanks! Great idea

JpGomez wrote:

AW9nineteen wrote:

Hey Everyone,

I switched from ZA55 to FE35 and never looked back. Also changed my long time setup FE28+ZA55 to SY18+FE35+FE85.

FE35 lives 90% on the camera, and its close focus is also nice to feature have which was lacking with ZA55. Also, I find 35mm FOV is a lot better to work with indoors than the 55. You can close in to fill the frame for tighter shot and step back to get "more" in the frame.

I think that is the route I am leaning. Great range. Ultimately when the kids get older I will get something in the 2-300 range for sports.

tonyz1 wrote:

AW9nineteen wrote:

Hey Everyone,

SIgma 24-70mm f2.8 DG DN is my do-everything lens. There are other lenses that do well I have that are good at specific things but if you want a lens that will do well for everything indoors, then that's the lens to get. Or the GM version of it. The f2.8 vs f4 is meaningful for indoors.

Before switching to Sony I had a Canon 24-70. My lord it was a clunker. That’s the only downside is portability. I also am not a professional so I don’t like the perception of rolling up to the community Santa event with a visual powerhouse system.

tonyz1 Contributing Member • Posts: 556

AW9nineteen wrote:

tonyz1 wrote:

AW9nineteen wrote:

Hey Everyone,

Before switching to Sony I had a Canon 24-70. My lord it was a clunker. That’s the only downside is portability. I also am not a professional so I don’t like the perception of rolling up to the community Santa event with a visual powerhouse system.

That’s fair - I wouldn’t either. I use my 24-70 mostly for landscapes. With people, I’d probably go with the 35mm f1.8 but I’d keep the 55mm too.

tonyz1's gear list:tonyz1's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +1 more
Deursen Regular Member • Posts: 220

Keep in mind that if you go wider than 35 mm you get artifacts when you take photo of people. I have Loxia 21 and 35 but fot AF i am thinking about the Batis 25.

Deursen's gear list:Deursen's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +3 more
DenverSteve Contributing Member • Posts: 573

Because I like everything as close to final composition SOOT, I would pick the Sony zoom at the budget that makes you most comfortable.  There is no shortage of excellent wide to ultra-wide zooms available at almost every price point.  To me the 24-105 is the do almost everything lens, but the 16-35 works great as the indoor wide-angle zoom.

-- hide signature --

It's just my educated opinion. Don't get bent out of shape.
Steve

DenverSteve's gear list:DenverSteve's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony a6500 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV +8 more
AlephNull Senior Member • Posts: 2,419

Deursen wrote:

Keep in mind that if you go wider than 35 mm you get artifacts when you take photo of people. I have Loxia 21 and 35 but fot AF i am thinking about the Batis 25.

That's only the case if you get very close. When you are photographing fast moving children, I suspect that's not going to be a problem

I have on occasion used what is sometimes called perspective distortion as a creative tool.

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads