Please Help! Dental Photography with Fuji X-Pro2 & 80mm macro lens

Started 4 months ago | Questions
YJNYC New Member • Posts: 1
Please Help! Dental Photography with Fuji X-Pro2 & 80mm macro lens

Hello,

I am a dentist and have been trying to use this gorgeous camera for the dental photography. Yet, I can't seem to figure out how to use it. Please note I am a novice in photography and tried to watch several youtube videos, but still in vain.

Can anyone help me to set it up right?

Again I am using Fuji xPro2 with Fuji XF 80mm F2.8 macro lens and bolt ring flash.

It's either too dark, or too fuzzy/blurry that it's never a quality that I would like to see.

My setting was

F stop: 22mm

ISO: 100

Shutter Speed: 250

I am willing to purchase anything that would give me a good result.

Thank you in advance for any help!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro Fujifilm X-Pro2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SjorsDW
SjorsDW Regular Member • Posts: 133
Re: Please Help! Dental Photography with Fuji X-Pro2 & 80mm macro lens

YJNYC wrote:

Hello,

I am a dentist and have been trying to use this gorgeous camera for the dental photography. Yet, I can't seem to figure out how to use it. Please note I am a novice in photography and tried to watch several youtube videos, but still in vain.

Again I am using Fuji xPro2 with Fuji XF 80mm F2.8 macro lens and bolt ring flash.

It's either too dark, or too fuzzy/blurry that it's never a quality that I would like to see.

My setting was

With F stop: 22mm you mean an aperture of 22 I guess? This quite a small aperture, and could be a reason for the underexposed pictures.. however in combination with a powerful flash (ring flash) it shouldn't be a problem.
Having said that, I have seen dental photographers using f/11 which is a HUGE difference

SjorsDW's gear list:SjorsDW's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
BJ60EH Forum Member • Posts: 76

YJNYC wrote:

Hello,

My setting was

I've never done dental photography, but it seems to me that you are using F22 on the lens? Try opening it up to F8 or so, it will let in a lot more light. Turn up the power on your flash if you can, or put it on TTL if it supports that. And maybe put the shutter speed down to 1/125 and it will let in more ambient light. Give those settings a try and you will be letting a lot more light in.

BJ60EH's gear list:BJ60EH's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm 50-230mm Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS
yayatosorus Senior Member • Posts: 1,215

Raise the ISO to 200, as it is the camera's base ISO. Start at f/8 and 1/250th. If the picture is too bright, lower the F-stop to f/11 or lower your ring flash power. To focus, either switch to manual focus or focus using AF-S. For better control use the "back button focusing" technique. Also note the lens has a minimum focusing distance of 25cm meaning that you need to keep your camera (NOT THE LENS'S FRONT ELEMENT) at least 25cm away from your subject.

yayatosorus's gear list:yayatosorus's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
TheOrsonGroup New Member • Posts: 12

Do you know what time it is when you have to go to the dentist?

Tooth-Hurty

Bet you never heard that one before

JayPhizzt Senior Member • Posts: 1,921

YJNYC wrote:

Hello,

My setting was

I take it you mean F22 and not 22mm? With those settings it's not a surprise if your photos are underexposed. Also, at such a small aperture you'll get diffraction which will make your photos less sharp. I'd say keep the aperture between F8-F13, maybe go down to F16 at the lowest if needed. And put your ISO at 200 which is base ISO on the X-Pro2.

JayPhizzt's gear list:JayPhizzt's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 7,337

Hi,

Like others here, I have never done dental photography but I do shoot some macro. In macro, technique counts for a lot and you have to experiment to get the right settings......

Exposure

• If your ring flash supports TTL (through-the-lens) exposure control by Fuji cameras, I would try that. And I would suggest start out trying at f11.
  • If it doesn't offer TTL, you need to experiment with manual exposure setting.
  • Firstly, your ring flash may have manual power settings. If it does, start out testing with it on full power. If it over exposes on most ISO/aperture settings, try a reduced power setting until you get the desired exposure. If it doesn't have power settings, just use the single power setting that it has, and vary your ISO, aperture and distance.
  • I would try raising the ISO a little to start with - maybe 200 or 400.
  • I would avoid f22. It's a very small aperture and tends to introduce diffraction, which softens the image. I would try with f11. You could also try f8, but I suspect that the decrease in depth of field might not meet your needs with an 80mm lens.

Focus

Are you using auto-focus (AF) or manual focus (MF)? Many people switch to MF for close up work because macro lenses often have difficulty acquiring correct focus with AF at strong magnifications.

If you're shooting at life size (image size = subject size) the Fuji 80mm has a working distance of 98mm (the distance from lens front element or filter rim to the point of focus on the subject. You could try switching to MF, focusing the lens as close as required , and then obtaining focus by making small movements of the whole camera back and forth. (I'm sorry, I'm not sure what focus confirmation your X-Pro gives you in MF mode.)

Getting both right at the same time....

You won't see this if your flash operates in TTL mode, but note that with purely manual flash, the exposure you get varies inversely with the distance between the flash and the subject. Eg If you work out the settings for the flash at the closest focusing distance of the lens and then for some reason move back, increasing the distance, the exposure will decrease slightly. If you set the aperture for something a little further out, but then move in, the exposure will increase. You can't change the position of your ring flash in relation to the lens, so small changes like this are probably best dealt with by adjusting the ISO or aperture, though I would still avoid opening up wider than f8 or stopping down to f22.

Keep experimenting! Good luck - you will 'get there'.

Hope that helps,

Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +16 more
Orbit220 Junior Member • Posts: 32

YJNYC wrote:

Hello,

My setting was

Hey YJNYC,

I am a fellow dentist and have been doing my clinical photography with the 80mm f2.8 for around three years. I started out with the X-T20 and then moved to the X-H1, both of which share the same sensor as your camera.

For every single intra-oral photograph I maintain the same exposure settings: Aperture: f/22, Iso: base (200 in either camera's case), SS: highest flash sync speed (1/180 for the X-T20, 1/250 for the X-H1). The only thing that I change between patients or shots is the flash power. Always shoot your flash in manual and adjust for your desired brightness. Generally it will stay the same value, but sometimes it may change. For focus, use manual focus and turn on focus peaking. I generally use Red-High, but mess around with the colors and see what works best for you. When taking a picture, I like to back button focus by using the AF-L button programed to engage autofocus, put me in the ballpark, and then fine-tune with manual focus. The only other fixed setting I use for dental photography is setting a custom white balance of 5600K. You can certainly use a grey card in office, but I find this kelvin works great with my flashes.

With regards to flashes, I have found that ring flashes work great for full mouth/posterior photographs and dual flashes work best for anterior/esthetic shots. I have the Yongnuo YN-24EX dual flash and the Nissin MF-18 ring flash. You can throw some cheap "glove" diffusers on the Yongnuo for some great soft light, makes for great esthetics.

Please feel free to ask me any other questions you may have, I hope this helps

Orbit220's gear list:Orbit220's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
Orbit220 Junior Member • Posts: 32

An additional note: Turn off the "Preview WB and exposure in manual mode" option in your camera. If you don't your EVF will be completely black while attempting to focus

Orbit220's gear list:Orbit220's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads