R5 Top Display always on

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Yuvalcaspi New Member • Posts: 2
R5 Top Display always on

Hi all

I got my R5 a short while ago and notice that when I turn it off,

The top LCD continue to show the last mode the camera used.

Is this normal?

thanks

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ChrisJSLH Regular Member • Posts: 187
Re: R5 Top Display always on

Yes, perfectly normal. I guess the camera is never truly 'off'. Things like bluetooth persist when the camera is 'off' too.

ChrisJSLH's gear list:ChrisJSLH's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM +1 more
OP Yuvalcaspi New Member • Posts: 2

Thanks a LOT

I was sure something was wrong and I'll have to sent it for repair .

You saved my days to come

Nimonus Regular Member • Posts: 178

It's "reflective memory LCD".

It drains very little power if not zero.

I stored R5 for few days with switch at "On" after full charge. Battery was still at 100% when i woke it up.

Tony D Contributing Member • Posts: 988

This type of display draws there little to no power when the camera is off - basically it is designed such the the liquid crystals state is switched (read changed from white to black) and then its is 'frozen in this state' until the reverse voltage is applied. It changes its crystal orientation (flips 90 degrees) when voltage in one direction is applied and flips back when the opposite voltage is applied. No power is required other than to flip the crystal orientation. Basically the black state the structure of the liquid crystal is perpendicular to a polarizer in the display and the white it is parallel to the polrarizer in the display.

Tony D's gear list:Tony D's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP +10 more
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 468

It's too bad the top screen does not also show the number of remaining shots and battery level while the camera is off – the way some Fujifilm cameras do.

(unknown member) Junior Member • Posts: 33

When the camera is off, the display gives the same information that an analog dial would show by its position.

-- hide signature --
ProDude Senior Member • Posts: 2,214

highdesertmesa wrote:

It's too bad the top screen does not also show the number of remaining shots and battery level while the camera is off – the way some Fujifilm cameras do.

I agree it is rather surprising that the display doesn't show battery charge status as so many cameras DO. It seems to me to be a primary function so not sure why they left that out. Perhaps a firmware update could fix that?

-- hide signature --

Name the gear and I've probably owned it and used it.

ProDude's gear list:ProDude's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +17 more
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 468

ProDude wrote:

highdesertmesa wrote:

I agree it is rather surprising that the display doesn't show battery charge status as so many cameras DO. It seems to me to be a primary function so not sure why they left that out. Perhaps a firmware update could fix that?

They already have a giant battery icon displayed on the screen while charging by USB-C, so doesn't seem like that big of a leap to put it there when off. It wouldn't have to poll the battery capacity but once every day or two – or it could just record the battery status at the time of shutoff and leave it like that.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads