Color blindness and Windows 10 Color Filter settings

Started Dec 9, 2020 | Discussions
Tom Husband
Tom Husband Contributing Member • Posts: 770
Color blindness and Windows 10 Color Filter settings

I'm a strong Deutan (red-green) and have just discovered the color filter settings in Win 10. I set the red-green filter and see differences in reds mainly but other colors also.

If I tweak my photos with the filters turned on how will others perceive the finished product? I've been getting along pretty well before and haven't been told my colors are off.

I'll be asking my wife but wonder if others use the filters.

J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 19,898
Re: Color blindness and Windows 10 Color Filter settings

You may want to post this in the PST forum. There are some color scientists posting there.

Photographic Science and Technology Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

Guy Roberts Regular Member • Posts: 275

Interesting idea. I have tritonopia and I know there are certain things I am not seeing which my wife is. But I calibrate my monitor and pp to the way the scene looked to me, and like you no one has mentioned my colours being off.
I can’t see how filters would help (no pun intended) as we will never be able to detect the variances in colours and shades that others can. We live with our our colour palette and once we recreate that, the results should be fine, surely.

Guy Roberts's gear list:Guy Roberts's gear list
Tamron 70-300 F4.5-6.3 Di RXD III Sony FE 24mm F2.8 G Sony FE 50mm F2.5 G
Tom Husband
OP Tom Husband Contributing Member • Posts: 770

Guy Roberts wrote:

Interesting idea. I have tritonopia and I know there are certain things I am not seeing which my wife is. But I calibrate my monitor and pp to the way the scene looked to me, and like you no one has mentioned my colours being off.
I can’t see how filters would help (no pun intended) as we will never be able to detect the variances in colours and shades that others can. We live with our our colour palette and once we recreate that, the results should be fine, surely.

Yes, I would think so too. In fact I wonder if editing with the filter turned on might might make reds, yellows and greens look good to me but a bit garish to others.

I ask the color expert in this house.

Tom Husband
OP Tom Husband Contributing Member • Posts: 770

J A C S wrote:

You may want to post this in the PST forum. There are some color scientists posting there.

Photographic Science and Technology Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

Good idea, I'll do that. Thanks.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads