Chrisopher Frost: RF 50mmf1.8 STM review

Started Dec 7, 2020 | Discussions
RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 3,021
Chrisopher Frost: RF 50mmf1.8 STM review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA0AmJCrMLU  He says it may be a little sharper and a little more constrast than older EF 50mmf1.8 "Nifty Fifty".    He also says he will be finishing a side the side comparison with the older 50MM lens soon.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +43 more
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,554
Re: Chrisopher Frost: RF 50mmf1.8 STM review

Basically no improvement from the EF version for twice the money. Thanks Canon

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F1.8 FE Samyang AF 45mm F1.8 FE
JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 3,537

sportyaccordy wrote:

CONTROL RING!!!😁

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +7 more
tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 17,299

I've only had the RF for a couple days, but in all honestly it seems like the EF STM in RF mount.  Haven't set up any test charts to pixel peep corners, but it's not like night and day different.

The reason I am happy with it is that it is so tiny and has the control ring.  The lens barely extends past the grip!   It's about half the size of the EF on the adapter.

Otaraka Regular Member • Posts: 180

sportyaccordy wrote:

Its a new redesigned lens versus one thats been manufactured for years.

Having the choice via adapters is great, being able to bang on your old 50mm vs the convenience and a few upgrades with a native .

RDM5546
OP RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 3,021

tkbslc wrote:

I've only had the RF for a couple days, but in all honestly it seems like the EF STM in RF mount. Haven't set up any test charts to pixel peep corners, but it's not like night and day different.

The reason I am happy with it is that it is so tiny and has the control ring. The lens barely extends past the grip! It's about half the size of the EF on the adapter.

It is not night and day different.  I did not expect it to be.   I have the old  EF II model.

It is smaller and takes less bag space and it light weight.  It is idea for travel.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +43 more
Jx9 Regular Member • Posts: 250

Here a comparison with the EF lens. Seems like it's much better.

https://youtu.be/xIgBpk9cUmw

Jx9's gear list:Jx9's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R6 +18 more
JPAlbert Senior Member • Posts: 1,186

I paid $89 for my EF 50mm 1.8 from the Canon online refurbished store.

Works well enough on both my 77d and R.

Don't see any reason to buy the RF version...

MikeJ9116 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,260

Jx9 wrote:

I would agree the corners are sharper with the RF lens but not "way better" as he claims. Other than this, I don't see much daylight between the two lenses. Specifically, not over $100 worth of daylight. Plus, I would much rather have the AF/MF switch on the EF lens than the AF/Control switch on the RF lens.

Regardless of what I think, Canon will sell this lens like hotcakes at an IHOP.

MikeJ9116 wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

I would agree the corners are sharper with the RF lens but not "way better" as he claims. Other than this, I don't see much daylight between the two lenses. Specifically, not over $100 worth of daylight. Plus, I would much rather have the AF/MF switch on the EF lens than the AF/Control switch on the RF lens.

Agree on the performance.

The size difference (vs adapter) is so worth $100 to me. It turns your camera into a whole different class size. With the Rp it feels like I'm shooting m4/3 with a small prime lens again. It makes the 35mm f1.8 feel huge.

If they make a 28mm f2 or 2.8 that is the same size as the 50mm 1.8, I'll sell my 35mm f1.8 and grab that in a heartbeat.

tkbslc wrote:

MikeJ9116 wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

The size difference (vs adapter) is so worth $100 to me. It turns your camera into a whole different class size. With the Rp it feels like I'm shooting m4/3 with a small prime lens again. It makes the 35mm f1.8 feel huge.

I am not that picky over an inch extra length and four ounces added to a lens that is already very small and lightweight. Especially on a body the size/weight of the R/R5/R6. I can see where RF lens might be worth the added cost of replacing the EF lens on a camera like the RP.

MikeJ9116 wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

MikeJ9116 wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

I am not that picky over an inch extra length and four ounces added to a lens that is already very small and lightweight. Especially on a body the size/weight of the R/R5/R6. I can see where RF lens might be worth the added cost of replacing the EF lens on a camera like the RP.

I mean we can have this same argument for just about every RF vs EF lens in the lineup, I guess.   Most EF lenses are pretty good and adapt just fine.  Many will not see the need to switch to RF native mount.

Does anyone know if there's noise when recording video like there is on the EF version? He usually does that test but didn't here.

Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R6 +18 more

tkbslc wrote:

MikeJ9116 wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

MikeJ9116 wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

I mean we can have this same argument for just about every RF vs EF lens in the lineup, I guess. Most EF lenses are pretty good and adapt just fine. Many will not see the need to switch to RF native mount.

If I didn't have three other EF 50mm lenses I would buy the RF versions.

Dan-Z Regular Member • Posts: 213

Jx9 wrote:

Does anyone know if there's noise when recording video like there is on the EF version? He usually does that test but didn't here.

Well he does show that the lens is noisy, right here @ 4:04 ... https://youtu.be/pA0AmJCrMLU?t=244

Dan-Z's gear list:Dan-Z's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM
MaStErPsX
MaStErPsX Regular Member • Posts: 174

sportyaccordy wrote:

it's not true, I've both (I just sold the EF) with R6, RF is much better on the border, the corner are better too (but not very good at F1.8), it's slightly sharper in center, autofocus is faster, and construction is better (same 35/85 RF)

And of course it's much smaller without adapter and you have the control ring, EF version is 1990 lens design, 200$ remain a low-price, you can't expect 600$ lens performance...

MaStErPsX's gear list:MaStErPsX's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4.0-7.1 IS STM Canon RF 85mm F2 Macro IS STM +5 more

Dan-Z wrote:

Jx9 wrote:

Well he does show that the lens is noisy, right here @ 4:04 ... https://youtu.be/pA0AmJCrMLU?t=244

So are the RF 35mm and 85mm in photo mode.

GrunRad
GrunRad Regular Member • Posts: 108

What I have learned in the few days of owning this lens: I need to get a lens hood soon...

It is just the next iteration of Canon 50/1.8 lenses... nothing more, nothing less. There are gradual improvements in many, but not all, of its attributes, and as the lowest-priced RF autofocus lens, it will sell well enough.

GrunRad's gear list:GrunRad's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +10 more
nutraman Forum Member • Posts: 63

tkbslc wrote:

I've only had the RF for a couple days, but in all honestly it seems like the EF STM in RF mount. Haven't set up any test charts to pixel peep corners, but it's not like night and day different.

The reason I am happy with it is that it is so tiny and has the control ring. The lens barely extends past the grip! It's about half the size of the EF on the adapter.

I agree. It is the EF 1.8 in a modern mount. The AF is loud and rough but less so than the old 1.8. The AF is not quick and smooth like the RF 24-240. I think for the size and native RF mount and improvement in sharpness this price is worth it. Here's are some images from the RF 50 1.8 and RP SooC jpg and then run through Perfectly Clear, saved and uploaded here. Full Size. No RAW development, could be sharper if I did.

nutraman's gear list:nutraman's gear list
Nikon D3400 Olympus E-M1 II Canon EOS RP
nutraman Forum Member • Posts: 63

nutraman wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

I agree. It is the EF 1.8 in a modern mount. The AF is loud and rough but less so than the old 1.8. The AF is not quick and smooth like the RF 24-240. I think for the size and native RF mount and improvement in sharpness this price is worth it. Here's are some images from the RF 50 1.8 and RP SooC jpg and then run through Perfectly Clear, saved and uploaded here. Full Size. No RAW development, could be sharper if I did.

For Pixel Peeping, here's the same two shots after developing in ACR with some sharpening++. (FYI they looked sharper on my computer, there's some compression here)

nutraman's gear list:nutraman's gear list
Nikon D3400 Olympus E-M1 II Canon EOS RP
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads