Best performing Nikon Z AF adapter - Canon EF or Sony? Z6ii

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Morgs_B
Morgs_B Forum Member • Posts: 56
Best performing Nikon Z AF adapter - Canon EF or Sony? Z6ii

I've googled but haven't found any tests, anyone aware of anything re the best performing non-FTZ adapter? Things are changing all the time with Nikon, and adapter, firmware, maybe the brain trust has bleeding edge knowledge?

 Morgs_B's gear list:Morgs_B's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Canon EOS 550D Nikon Z6 II Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
ZapperVT Contributing Member • Posts: 843
Re: Best performing Nikon Z AF adapter - Canon EF or Sony? Z6ii

Morgs_B wrote:

I've googled but haven't found any tests, anyone aware of anything re the best performing non-FTZ adapter? Things are changing all the time with Nikon, and adapter, firmware, maybe the brain trust has bleeding edge knowledge?

No personal knowledge. There's this:

https://kenrockwell.com/tech/fringer/ef-nz.htm

I think Ken Rockwell is kind of an idiot but occasionally has some useful info, so approach it with some skepticism.

 ZapperVT's gear list:ZapperVT's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +11 more
gnet158 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,084
Re: Best performing Nikon Z AF adapter - Canon EF or Sony? Z6ii
1

The fringer works great, fast AF w/eye & face detection.

-- hide signature --

I got to get out and shoot more.

 gnet158's gear list:gnet158's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon Z6 Nikon D3 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +3 more
NickZ2016 Senior Member • Posts: 1,789
Re: Best performing Nikon Z AF adapter - Canon EF or Sony? Z6ii

Are you saying you're going to buy EF or Sony lenses to mount on the Z?

 NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +4 more
Jeff_0000 Regular Member • Posts: 480
Re: Best performing Nikon Z AF adapter - Canon EF or Sony? Z6ii
1

I vote for the Fringer EF-NZ adapter. The performance including aperture control, EXIF info. and video autofocus (most important for me) work like an FTZ adapter on my Z6.

 Jeff_0000's gear list:Jeff_0000's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Toniio Junior Member • Posts: 35
Re: Best performing Nikon Z AF adapter - Canon EF or Sony? Z6ii

Jeff_0000 wrote:

I vote for the Fringer EF-NZ adapter. The performance including aperture control, EXIF info. and video autofocus (most important for me) work like an FTZ adapter on my Z6.

Does it work with the ef 50mm f/1.8 ? Ken rockwell says the autofocus hunts a lot.

rokoko
rokoko Senior Member • Posts: 2,072
Re: Best performing Nikon Z AF adapter - Canon EF or Sony? Z6ii

Fringer is bit better.

 rokoko's gear list:rokoko's gear list
Nikon Z7 Sony a7 III
Jeff_0000 Regular Member • Posts: 480
Re: Best performing Nikon Z AF adapter - Canon EF or Sony? Z6ii

Unfortunately I don't own that lens so I cannot provide an answer. Maybe you can report this issue to Fringer and ask if this has been addressed.

Kindly note my experience mainly comes from the combo of the 16-35 f4.

 Jeff_0000's gear list:Jeff_0000's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Morgs_B
OP Morgs_B Forum Member • Posts: 56
Re: Best performing Nikon Z AF adapter - Canon EF or Sony? Z6ii

NickZ2016 wrote:

Are you saying you're going to buy EF or Sony lenses to mount on the Z?

I didn't say anything, but considering the price of anything higher than f4 on z glass I'm considering all options.

 Morgs_B's gear list:Morgs_B's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Canon EOS 550D Nikon Z6 II Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
Morgs_B
OP Morgs_B Forum Member • Posts: 56
Re: Best performing Nikon Z AF adapter - Canon EF or Sony? Z6ii

ZapperVT wrote:

Morgs_B wrote:

I've googled but haven't found any tests, anyone aware of anything re the best performing non-FTZ adapter? Things are changing all the time with Nikon, and adapter, firmware, maybe the brain trust has bleeding edge knowledge?

No personal knowledge. There's this:

https://kenrockwell.com/tech/fringer/ef-nz.htm

I think Ken Rockwell is kind of an idiot but occasionally has some useful info, so approach it with some skepticism.

TL;DR - It's really good, he likes it. Works with >90% of EF lenses.

Haha, yeah he's one funny, albeit prolific, duck isn't he?

 Morgs_B's gear list:Morgs_B's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Canon EOS 550D Nikon Z6 II Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
Morgs_B
OP Morgs_B Forum Member • Posts: 56
Re: Best performing Nikon Z AF adapter - Canon EF or Sony? Z6ii

So the consensus, which ive seen mirrored elsewhere, is that specifically the Fringer EF-NZ adaptor works pretty close to EF glass natively and (sometimes better) , and adapted Nikon glass on the FTZ.

 Morgs_B's gear list:Morgs_B's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Canon EOS 550D Nikon Z6 II Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
virgil1612 Regular Member • Posts: 475
Re: Best performing Nikon Z AF adapter - Canon EF or Sony? Z6ii

rokoko wrote:

Fringer is bit better.

What about the weight? Which one is lighter?

 virgil1612's gear list:virgil1612's gear list
Canon G7 X II Nikon Z50 Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G
ZapperVT Contributing Member • Posts: 843
Re: Best performing Nikon Z AF adapter - Canon EF or Sony? Z6ii

virgil1612 wrote:

rokoko wrote:

Fringer is bit better.

What about the weight? Which one is lighter?

Fringer = 165g

FTZ = 135g

 ZapperVT's gear list:ZapperVT's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +11 more
virgil1612 Regular Member • Posts: 475
Re: Best performing Nikon Z AF adapter - Canon EF or Sony? Z6ii

ZapperVT wrote:

virgil1612 wrote:

rokoko wrote:

Fringer is bit better.

What about the weight? Which one is lighter?

Fringer = 165g

FTZ = 135g

Thanks. For Fringer, is it with or without the foot?

 virgil1612's gear list:virgil1612's gear list
Canon G7 X II Nikon Z50 Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G
Entropius Veteran Member • Posts: 4,391
Re: Best performing Nikon Z AF adapter - Canon EF or Sony? Z6ii

Morgs_B wrote:

ZapperVT wrote:

Morgs_B wrote:

I've googled but haven't found any tests, anyone aware of anything re the best performing non-FTZ adapter? Things are changing all the time with Nikon, and adapter, firmware, maybe the brain trust has bleeding edge knowledge?

No personal knowledge. There's this:

https://kenrockwell.com/tech/fringer/ef-nz.htm

I think Ken Rockwell is kind of an idiot but occasionally has some useful info, so approach it with some skepticism.

TL;DR - It's really good, he likes it. Works with >90% of EF lenses.

Haha, yeah he's one funny, albeit prolific, duck isn't he?

He complains that the FTZ only works fully with Nikon lenses that use electronic AF and aperture control, but on lenses with mechanical AF and aperture control, you don't get these options and have manual focus and aperture.

On the other hand, the Canon adapter also only works with electronic AF and aperture lenses! (Canon's mechanical AF/aperture lenses were FD mount, which you need a different adapter for...)

 Entropius's gear list:Entropius's gear list
Nikon D500 Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR
Claire Dupuis Senior Member • Posts: 1,916
Re: Best performing Nikon Z AF adapter - Canon EF or Sony? Z6ii

I also own, use and love the Fringer NTZ adapter, works like a charm !

-- hide signature --

"If you don't have an expression, then you don't have a shot" - Peter Hurley

Morgs_B
OP Morgs_B Forum Member • Posts: 56
Re: Best performing Nikon Z AF adapter - Canon EF or Sony? Z6ii

Entropius wrote:

Morgs_B wrote:

ZapperVT wrote:

Morgs_B wrote:

I've googled but haven't found any tests, anyone aware of anything re the best performing non-FTZ adapter? Things are changing all the time with Nikon, and adapter, firmware, maybe the brain trust has bleeding edge knowledge?

No personal knowledge. There's this:

https://kenrockwell.com/tech/fringer/ef-nz.htm

I think Ken Rockwell is kind of an idiot but occasionally has some useful info, so approach it with some skepticism.

TL;DR - It's really good, he likes it. Works with >90% of EF lenses.

Haha, yeah he's one funny, albeit prolific, duck isn't he?

He complains that the FTZ only works fully with Nikon lenses that use electronic AF and aperture control, but on lenses with mechanical AF and aperture control, you don't get these options and have manual focus and aperture.

On the other hand, the Canon adapter also only works with electronic AF and aperture lenses! (Canon's mechanical AF/aperture lenses were FD mount, which you need a different adapter for...)

Right, didn't think of that.

He's got a strange consistent inconsistency about him doesn't he?

On balance though - FD aren't EF lenses, and there's a heck of a lot more readily available EF lenses, inc non-native, over longer than compatible Nikon glass to the FTZ.

 Morgs_B's gear list:Morgs_B's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Canon EOS 550D Nikon Z6 II Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
ZapperVT Contributing Member • Posts: 843
Re: Best performing Nikon Z AF adapter - Canon EF or Sony? Z6ii

Morgs_B wrote:

He's got a strange consistent inconsistency about him doesn't he?

He's totally inconsistent.  That's why I think he's kind of an idiot.  He states his opinions with so much conviction, then states the opposite with just as much conviction elsewhere.

But, if he says the Fringer works for him, it probably does.

 ZapperVT's gear list:ZapperVT's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +11 more
rokoko
rokoko Senior Member • Posts: 2,072
Re: Best performing Nikon Z AF adapter - Canon EF or Sony? Z6ii

virgil1612 wrote:

ZapperVT wrote:

virgil1612 wrote:

rokoko wrote:

Fringer is bit better.

What about the weight? Which one is lighter?

Fringer = 165g

FTZ = 135g

Thanks. For Fringer, is it with or without the foot?

With a removable foot, Arca type.

 rokoko's gear list:rokoko's gear list
Nikon Z7 Sony a7 III
virgil1612 Regular Member • Posts: 475
Re: Best performing Nikon Z AF adapter - Canon EF or Sony? Z6ii

rokoko wrote:

virgil1612 wrote:

ZapperVT wrote:

virgil1612 wrote:

rokoko wrote:

Fringer is bit better.

What about the weight? Which one is lighter?

Fringer = 165g

FTZ = 135g

Thanks. For Fringer, is it with or without the foot?

With a removable foot, Arca type.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant, those 165g are with or without foot?

 virgil1612's gear list:virgil1612's gear list
Canon G7 X II Nikon Z50 Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads