Printing yourself and buying prints

Started 5 months ago | Questions
RDoe
RDoe Regular Member • Posts: 380
Printing yourself and buying prints

Hi,

you can burn this thread if its not within guidelines, but I'm honestly curious on printing your photos and who does. With the additional question do you sell you own prints and do you buy prints from fellow photographers.

I'm in doubt for a while now to take the plunge into printing and want to but the whole printing thing can become quite complex fast, right? To convince myself I though why not sell some prints in the end? On the other hand I wonder on how others are doing this and what the experiences are.

So do you print yourself, what are your experiences and would you sell/buy prints.....

Shoot!

-- hide signature --
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
jjz2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,043
Re: Printing yourself and buying prints

I used to, but it's been years. The problem is I don't really have much space to display them, so they would just sit in a folder or something. And since I'm not submitting like an art portfolio or something...just have no real need to do this either.

I do however, have artwork and other photographs of other artists displayed in my house (mostly weird vintage stuff, dageurrotype, tintype photos), but not much of my own (or my wife's) stuff.

I have one in mind to print big black and white soon, but just haven't got around to sending it to a lab. As of now, I don't even have the proper time to post stuff on Instagram, much less print them.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
John Gellings
John Gellings Veteran Member • Posts: 7,416

I print occasionally when someone wants to buy a print or if I have a gallery show. I don’t print just to have prints lying around. My wife made me print some of my photos for our walls in our apartment. I’m not a big fan of displaying my own photos in my home but she insisted.

Since I’m printing digitally, I can get prints made quite easily when I need them. I do make books of any photographs I like and I think I might want to use in the future. I find it a cleaner solution. I’ve bought a few prints from other photographers, but I prefer to buy their books instead.

-- hide signature --

https://www.johngellings.com
Instagram = @johngellings0 and @nycrandomjg

John Gellings's gear list:John Gellings's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Sony a7C Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +6 more
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,849

RDoe wrote:

Hi,

you can burn this thread if its not within guidelines, but I'm honestly curious on printing your photos and who does. With the additional question do you sell you own prints and do you buy prints from fellow photographers.

I'm in doubt for a while now to take the plunge into printing and want to but the whole printing thing can become quite complex fast, right? To convince myself I though why not sell some prints in the end? On the other hand I wonder on how others are doing this and what the experiences are.

So do you print yourself, what are your experiences and would you sell/buy prints.....

Shoot!

I have printed a decent number of images over the years... a few were done at home using my Canon Pro-100 printer, others sent to a professional printer — usually the larger prints (20x30 inches).  Not sure where you’re located, but I’ve had some very nice work done at amazingly low prices here in the US at Costco with more than satisfactory results (for my needs, anyway).  If your intention is to sell your work as art prints, you might want to look for a processor that specializes in this sort of work and can deliver the highest quality printing and papers required for that purpose.

I’ve sold a few prints over the years (all of which I had printed myself), however, at this point, I’m not really interested in trying to sell prints and am in this strictly for the enjoyment and satisfaction of the hobby.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
William Loney
William Loney Regular Member • Posts: 416

Do the actual printing myself?

Nah, not in a long long time, but I do get prints made all the time for clients!

I've got a very good guy I've been going to for many years. He knows what I like, and is sometimes happy to make recommendations if I need something different.

I trust him.

Besides, he's got the industrial sized printers, studio, and years of experience/knowledge -all of which I don't have! 

William Loney's gear list:William Loney's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R XF 90mm +3 more
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,355

Today's mid tear photo capable printers can be had for about $50.  For this price it's a no briner to get some photo paper is you will be doing small prints.  Large prints that are larger than these printers can do are best sent out as the cost of the large format photo printers is hard to make up unless you do huge volume.  Besides that, I like to do display prints as mettle prints and the equipment and supplies are even more out of site.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR XF 90mm Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C +12 more
ninjagowoo
ninjagowoo Regular Member • Posts: 165

I'm a hobbyist only so take this with a grain of salt but I absolutely loathe printers. I feel like they were designed to be fail-prone and only last for 6months... Anyway, depending on how often you print I find it's usually more economical (and reliable) to send to a printer. I've been using Costco for a while now and have no complaints. I've found they're also great for photobooks. If I were you, I would see what was available from commercial printers before going down the DIY route. Most of them even have decent support to help you get the results you want. If you're aiming to sell, you also have the advantage of knowing the exact cost of materials vs trying to calculate it after you buy all your own materials.

ninjagowoo's gear list:ninjagowoo's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1
Homo erectus
Homo erectus Contributing Member • Posts: 903

I buy many prints for myself and sell prints occasionally. For both I use a local camera store. Their prints are pretty good, relatively affordable, and their turnaround is usually less than 24 hours.

I went to trade school for printing and have worked in the industry for years. For me the economics of home printing just don't make sense. Also, I can't afford the equipment that I'd actually want to use

If you really want to learn about printing and you don't mind the cost of consumables, go for it. Printing is fun and gratifying but running an inkjet printer is a money pit.

Homo erectus's gear list:Homo erectus's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T3 XF 90mm Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm 50-230mm II +4 more
Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 11,079

I used to print.   I got tired of having to buy two or three new ink cartridges almost every time I printed.  That printer went to the dump.  I don't print at home anymore, except snapshots on a Canon Selphy CP1200 (no ink, no clogged print heads).

It's great to print.  You get that immediate feedback that simply does not exist when you send an image out somewhere to get a print made.  You can get spectacular results.

If you haven't printed, and wonder about whether or not it is worthwhile, you should buy yourself a printer and find out.  I did.

I don't buy prints.  I never tried to sell any of my prints.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Copper: Mankind's favorite electrical conductor

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Fujifilm X30 Panasonic ZS100 Sigma sd Quattro Fujifilm X-E1 +15 more
RDoe
OP RDoe Regular Member • Posts: 380

John Gellings wrote:

I print occasionally when someone wants to buy a print or if I have a gallery show. I don’t print just to have prints lying around. My wife made me print some of my photos for our walls in our apartment. I’m not a big fan of displaying my own photos in my home but she insisted.

Since I’m printing digitally, I can get prints made quite easily when I need them. I do make books of any photographs I like and I think I might want to use in the future. I find it a cleaner solution. I’ve bought a few prints from other photographers, but I prefer to buy their books instead.

Yeah can relate to that! I'd buy more books than prints and yes some of my prints are in the house, mainly travel destinations we went to.

-- hide signature --
RDoe

Jerry-astro wrote:

RDoe wrote:

Hi,

Shoot!

I have printed a decent number of images over the years... a few were done at home using my Canon Pro-100 printer, others sent to a professional printer — usually the larger prints (20x30 inches). Not sure where you’re located, but I’ve had some very nice work done at amazingly low prices here in the US at Costco with more than satisfactory results (for my needs, anyway). If your intention is to sell your work as art prints, you might want to look for a processor that specializes in this sort of work and can deliver the highest quality printing and papers required for that purpose.

I’ve sold a few prints over the years (all of which I had printed myself), however, at this point, I’m not really interested in trying to sell prints and am in this strictly for the enjoyment and satisfaction of the hobby.

I'm in The Netherlands, we have some seriously good printers here, but want to have more controle instead of hits/miss (although the misses are few) with an external printer.

I'm just curious in printing more and sending of to a printer just get postponed, so in the end I do not print stuff. Just curious on how it could help my photography, get some prints myself and in the last part maybe sell some, but that is not the main goal.

I also done pro work, mainly weddings, product and event photography couple of years ago, but the whole thing made me photograph less and less, if that makes sense. So this is all for me, myself and I

-- hide signature --
RDoe

Tom Schum wrote:

I used to print. I got tired of having to buy two or three new ink cartridges almost every time I printed. That printer went to the dump. I don't print at home anymore, except snapshots on a Canon Selphy CP1200 (no ink, no clogged print heads).

It's great to print. You get that immediate feedback that simply does not exist when you send an image out somewhere to get a print made. You can get spectacular results.

If you haven't printed, and wonder about whether or not it is worthwhile, you should buy yourself a printer and find out. I did.

I don't buy prints. I never tried to sell any of my prints.

Yeah its mainly about the feedback, have some photos to display and maybe, maybe sell some. I know it doesn't make any sense cost wise, but many things doesn't. I promised myself to print more and send more prints to my preferred online photo print shop, but in the end I never do it as it gets postponed every time ....

-- hide signature --
PeterLeyssens Senior Member • Posts: 1,590

I considered printing myself for a long time. But there's a really good print shop not too far away who have a large format Epson that does real B&W (without cast). And I don't really print a lot for displaying in the home, citing renovation work all the time, but that's just an excuse. I just wouldn't print more if I got my own printer. In the beginning, yes, but not after a while.

PeterLeyssens's gear list:PeterLeyssens's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads