X-E3 starts with Chinese menu

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 11,103
X-E3 starts with Chinese menu

Well it may be Japanese, but for me the difference is academic.  A few weeks ago I took the battery out of my X-E3 to charge it and when done it restarted as if newly delivered, the start up screen.  To see if this was a one off, I took the battery out to charge today and now it starts with a totally unfamiliar screen in pictograms of either Japan or China and no amount of fiddling gets it beyond the start up screen.  This was one of the first X-E3s, not mishandled but I'm working on the assumption I'll end up paying for the main board to be replaced.

Anyone seen this and fixed it?  Is my estimate of £300 about right?  Obviously it will need fixing.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Aoi Usagi Senior Member • Posts: 2,675
Re: X-E3 starts with Chinese menu

It seems like the internal battery needs to be replaced. I am not sure if that requires a completely new mainboard. I do find it odd that it would loose its charge this soon. Both my XP1 and XT1 still keeps date/time/language after all these years. How long did you leave the battery out of the camera or was it charged internally?

-- hide signature --

Formally Evogt500

OP a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 11,103

A couple of hours with the battery out.  The internal batteries are charged continuously from the main battery, it shouldn't be a question of how old.  I could live with it losing settings, it is the restart at what I think is an odd point in the menus in pictograms, which is why I suspect it is more than the internal battery.  I think the battery is integral to the main board.

It will be back to Fuji soon, but I remain intrigued.  I foresee a trade in for an X-E4 assuming it is repaired properly.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Aoi Usagi Senior Member • Posts: 2,675

a_c_skinner wrote:

A couple of hours with the battery out. The internal batteries are charged continuously from the main battery, it shouldn't be a question of how old. I could live with it losing settings, it is the restart at what I think is an odd point in the menus in pictograms, which is why I suspect it is more than the internal battery. I think the battery is integral to the main board.

It will be back to Fuji soon, but I remain intrigued. I foresee a trade in for an X-E4 assuming it is repaired properly.

Yes, a couple hours without the main battery should not cause the camera to lose its memory.  The life of a battery depends on various factors, including how long its been drained.  I haven't seen the internals of a X-E3 yet, but if its anything like a X-T3, it will have a coin cell battery soldered to the mainboard.  It could potentially be replaced without changing the mainboard outright, but it will require a skilled technician.  Sending it to Fuji is a good idea.  Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Formally Evogt500

KennyXYZ
KennyXYZ Regular Member • Posts: 471

I had the same problem with my now defunct X-E2. The problem was the internal battery wasn't recharging and died. By then my product warranty had expired and I got a quote of $100 USD just to break the camera down to get to the battery. I decided to go el-cheapo and forgo the repair. I found that if I wanted to keep my camera settings every time I needed to switch the main battery out, I would need to switch the batteries very quickly, like switching out the battery in less that 5 seconds. It worked for me.

KennyXYZ's gear list:KennyXYZ's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +2 more

Yes, I'd have lived with that but now it seems stuck in a position where it isn't easy to re-start it will have to go to camera hospital.  I've paid Fuji's £125 up front and they say they will send free of charge packing materials.  Happily the Skinner family budget can stand these events.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

TangoMan Senior Member • Posts: 1,777

a_c_skinner wrote:

Yes, I'd have lived with that but now it seems stuck in a position where it isn't easy to re-start it will have to go to camera hospital. I've paid Fuji's £125 up front and they say they will send free of charge packing materials. Happily the Skinner family budget can stand these events.

Show us a photo of the screen, someone can translate for you. Maybe it's simple.

Thanks, but if it isn't starting up reliably in English then it has to be repaired.  I've started one of the numerous threads stupidly asking about something where the only sensible reply is to get if fixed or replaced.  This is the startup from cold screen, which I don't think is right even if translated as it shouldn't start up asking about the remote (which BTW is an insult as the remote apps are so poor!)

I am awaiting the packing Fuji says it is sending.  I'll report back about how Fuji UK gets on with it.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,821

a_c_skinner wrote:

Thanks, but if it isn't starting up reliably in English then it has to be repaired. I've started one of the numerous threads stupidly asking about something where the only sensible reply is to get if fixed or replaced. This is the startup from cold screen, which I don't think is right even if translated as it shouldn't start up asking about the remote (which BTW is an insult as the remote apps are so poor!)

I am awaiting the packing Fuji says it is sending. I'll report back about how Fuji UK gets on with it.

FWIW it is the screen you get in a new / reset camera to connect to the Fuji app. I think you can get out of it with DISP. Then in MENU > wrench ... (I do not have a camera at hand but I could look up tonight which line you'd need in what part of the menu). Question is of course is whether, if this works, it is permanent.

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR

Tried all the buttons!

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

TangoMan Senior Member • Posts: 1,777

a_c_skinner wrote:

Thanks, but if it isn't starting up reliably in English then it has to be repaired. I've started one of the numerous threads stupidly asking about something where the only sensible reply is to get if fixed or replaced. This is the startup from cold screen, which I don't think is right even if translated as it shouldn't start up asking about the remote (which BTW is an insult as the remote apps are so poor!)

I am awaiting the packing Fuji says it is sending. I'll report back about how Fuji UK gets on with it.

This is Japanese and it basically says:

• Start menu
    Pairing
  • Pair with a smartphone?
  • By pairing to a smartphone....you can send pictures to the phone... use the qr code and the "Camera Remote" app...

The buttons you can use are

• OK = (not sure, probably "go ahead and pair")
  • Back = skip
  • down arrow = help

So you probably should press Back and then try to revert to English.

If you can then turn off bluetooth, maybe you'll be fine on the next restart.

But of course, if the buttons don't work... the camera hospital is still your best bet

Or, maybe even try the QR App thing... just to mess up your phone too. 8P

Good luck!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads