Z7 or not?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
vwcrusher Regular Member • Posts: 404
Z7 or not?

Hi All,

I could use some advice; over the past bunch of years I was into humming bird photography, and have enjoyed my D7200 immensely. More recently I have moved on to landscapes, both near and far. Also, I am tending to print very large (2x3 or larger).

I got to thinking perhaps I need to upgrade to a full frame system. In doing a bit of research it seems that the z6 will provide improved low light and DR, but not necessarily sharpness, as it has the same quantity of MPs as my 7200. Is this logic sound or am I missing something?

To perhaps help in the recommendation, I am not at all interested in sports or video photography, in other words speed. In fact I normally put just one focus point in the center of the viewscreen and use a back button to lock focus then recompose and initiate shutter release...so I don't necessarily need many of the more recent multiple focus points (if this is a factor at all).

Thanks for the help   : )

vwcrusher's gear list:vwcrusher's gear list
Sony a7R II Samyang AF 18mm F2.8 FE Samyang AF 75mm F1.8 FE Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 Samyang AF 35mm F1.8 FE
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7200 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 14,338
Re: Z7 or not?

As a Z7 and Z6 owner, for your specified need, definitely go with the Z7 or the Z7II when it is available later this month. Both are superb cameras.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
Professional photographer since 1984.
To see my work, please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on Instagram @EllisVenerStudio

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II +1 more
kenw
kenw Veteran Member • Posts: 6,323
Resolution not the only thing that matters...

So first, since you are talking about printing big then it is certainly sensible to just go for the Z7 over the Z6.  Also since you don't care about speed probably save some money and get the Z7 instead of the Z7II.  Perhaps same a bit more getting a used or refurbed Z7.

That said, just because cameras have the same resolution doesn't mean you can print to the same size with them.  Noise is magnified by enlargement as well and masks detail.  For landscapes where we usually can and should shoot at base ISO the amount of photon shot noise at base ISO also matters quite a bit.  And keep in mind this is noise in the mid-tones - not any sort of noise from pushing shadows a lot.

As an example here are crops of the same scene shot with the same sensor just with different exposures and adjusted to match in post (thus equivalent to a difference in base ISO noise):

Which is going to enlarge better?

So with that in mind even the Z6 will still allow for more enlargement than your D7200 since the Z6 has about 1.3 stops better mid-tone noise at base ISO than the D7200.

All that said, still I'd recommend the Z7 is worth it once you are talking about printing quite large.   And the Z7 has even slightly better base ISO noise than the Z6 does.

-- hide signature --

Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +37 more
Virtual Photon Senior Member • Posts: 1,328

I believe that all the lenses you list are DX?  If you only have DX lenses you are won’t be able to take advantage of the full frame resolution on either Z6 or Z7.  You will in fact lose resolution compared to your D7200.

sharpness has as much to do with lenses as sensors and focus systems.  You need to think in terms of systems and not just bodies.  You need to look at what lenses you will be using if you go with Z full frame.

Virtual Photon's gear list:Virtual Photon's gear list
Nikon D500 Olympus PEN-F Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 +12 more
OP vwcrusher Regular Member • Posts: 404

Thanks for the replies..

I did plan on either keeping my DX kit for when I need some speed or reach as it is not worth that much for trade or sale.

I am on a budget, so used or refurb is very attractive, and perhaps the Z7 (not II) is the way to go.

Perish the thought, but I have also looked into other manufacturer's systems, as both Canon and Sony have had equipment in the market longer....

Again, thanks  : )

Sony a7R II Samyang AF 18mm F2.8 FE Samyang AF 75mm F1.8 FE Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 Samyang AF 35mm F1.8 FE
Ellis Vener

vwcrusher wrote:

Thanks for the replies..

I did plan on either keeping my DX kit for when I need some speed or reach as it is not worth that much for trade or sale.

I am on a budget, so used or refurb is very attractive, and perhaps the Z7 (not II) is the way to go.

Perish the thought, but I have also looked into other manufacturer's systems, as both Canon and Sony have had equipment in the market longer....

Again, thanks : )

Correction: Canon introduced the EOS R system approximately the same time (+/- maybe a month) that Nikon introduced the Z system.

And since you are considering used or refurb you are comparing the Z7 to the EOS R. I have used both extensively. My recommendation for the Z7 stands. it has a better sensor and image processor

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener

OP vwcrusher Regular Member • Posts: 404

Thanks for the reply and recommendation.

Actually the Canon I was researching is the EOS 5DSR; I believe it was introduced around 5 years ago. Clearly it is not a mirrorless.

dacrema Senior Member • Posts: 1,056

In that you are keeping your current kit going to another system, Cannon or Sony, would require you to two complete kits with no interchangeability.  Also there is a logic shift with menu and hardware.  This is not bashing that system, in the past if given the same advice to Cannon owner. 
I purchased my Z7 in Feb 2019 mainly for landscapes keeping a D500 for sports and wildlife. I’ve been very happy. Get a FTZ if you can then you can mount your other lenses and use two cameras to cover a wider range.  In DX mode, a Z7 will have similar pixel density and pixel ratio to your current camera.

dacrema's gear list:dacrema's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E +3 more
Ellis Vener

vwcrusher wrote:

Thanks for the reply and recommendation.

Actually the Canon I was researching is the EOS 5DSR; I believe it was introduced around 5 years ago. Clearly it is not a mirrorless.

Canon recently discontinued the EOS 5DS and 5DSR. I have a 5DS but really haven’t used it since the D850 and then the Z7 came out.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads