Not so bulky FTZ adapter?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 15,073
Re: Not so bulky FTZ adapter?---Picture of FTZ innards

Franks38 wrote:

Hopefully, I got to the right DPR page. If yes, here is a photo of what is in the FTZ foot that requires is the size it is...Frank in Eugene, OR

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62316015

Yes, that link was already given by Heritage Cameras earlier in this thread

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels.

Dan DeLion Contributing Member • Posts: 888
Re: Some Examples

michaeladawson wrote:

Dan DeLion wrote:

bmoag wrote:

The FTZ is a one size fits some adapter and does not fully adapt many Nikon lenses that would all function as they ought with Nikon full frame optical dSLRs. Not to mention late model F mount autofocus lenses from non-Nikon vendors.

The very definition of a "kludge."

As Tamron and Sigma are not marketing lenses in Z mounts there seems zero chance anyone would make a better than FTZ adapter, particularly Nikon.

bmoag - Would you happen to have 5 or 10 examples of the "many" Nikon lenses that don't function fully with the FTZ. We all know about screw drive lenses not having AF on the FTZ adaptor. I'm asking about high quality Nikkors, not third party lenses. The reason I'm asking is that I've had no problems with the 30 or so Nikkors that I own. So, it would be good to know which Nikkors to stay away from.

You should probably qualify that further by amending the comment to "high quality AF Nikkors".

In addition to AF-D lenses, the Nikon FTZ adapter does not "fully support" any lens that doesn't contain electrical contacts (chipped). That leaves out a wide range of high quality manual focus lenses. What doesn't work? No EXIF data in the file, no aperture data in the viewfinder either. I have no idea why Nikon decided to leave out the aperture tab on the adapter.

Hi Mike - Damn goods points!  In addition to the FTZ's missing tab, there certainly should be a screw drive, a filter drawer, a small lite for illuminating the f-stop ring, and a helical for macro work.  And, you know it can't cost Nikon more than $2 to make the next one. - they should give them away.  It is the only way to save Nikon.

Stay safe - Dan

Dan DeLion's gear list:Dan DeLion's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Hasselblad X1D II 50C Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +5 more
z2122
OP z2122 Senior Member • Posts: 1,437
Re: Not so bulky FTZ adapter?

michaeladawson wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

z2122 wrote:

I still use 2-3 F mount lenses on my Z , and I don't want to change them due to seldom use and good IQ.

What is a little bit annoying, is the bulky FTZ adapter. I understand, that a certain size is needed to compensate the difference between the F mount and Z mount, but I do not need the bulky tripod connection on the FTZ. Is there a good adapter from F to Z mount that is smaller or lighter than the FTZ?

Throw a base plate onto your camera like the one from smallrig. You'll never think about the FTZ "bulk" again.

Why? Because he's now complaining about the SmallRig bulk? Is your response tongue-in-cheek?

No, I am being serious. In my case, I didn't like the additional asymmetrical bulk specifically from the bottom of the adapter, preventing the camera from sitting flush (and messing with the tripod compatibility in those cases). If the camera was slightly taller, we wouldn't have this issue. So there are several plates that can add a few mm to the camera and sort of blend out the bulkiness of the adapter that I personally only notice due to its asymmetry. It's not going to work for everyone, but it does for many people I've talked to, a few of which are in that link I posted earlier.

More on this topic at this link as well:

The smallrig is one of the larger ones, but there are others and some are much smaller. Examples of more options are the RRS and the Nikon one.

To each their own. I don't like the extra protrusion of the FTZ tripod adapter. And I wouldn't want that SmallRig plate on my camera all the time either. With or without the FTZ.

that's exactly the opinion that is also valid for me . I don't want any extra things b my Z6 to "cover" the bulky FTZ.

A small and light FTZ that can be used for F mount G and E lenses -  that's it

-- hide signature --

catch the light - explore emotions

z2122's gear list:z2122's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +9 more
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 21,207

z2122 wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

To each their own. I don't like the extra protrusion of the FTZ tripod adapter. And I wouldn't want that SmallRig plate on my camera all the time either. With or without the FTZ.

that's exactly the opinion that is also valid for me . I don't want any extra things b my Z6 to "cover" the bulky FTZ.

A small and light FTZ that can be used for F mount G and E lenses - that's it

Some look forward to photographic advances as in Nikon ML - and some look as far back as Nikon rangefinder lenses as to what they prefer.

Some overlook key detail.

Unlike EOS the Nikon FTZ needs a mechanical link to stop down most lenses.

An Arca Swiss type QR plate on a Z6/7 body at 90 degrees to the optical axis gets round the issue of changing lenses with a QR plate attached to the FTZ mount.

Work arounds for perceived difficulties are usually easy to find 

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +25 more
Ruekon Senior Member • Posts: 1,606

z2122 wrote:

I still use 2-3 F mount lenses on my Z , and I don't want to change them due to seldom use and good IQ.

What is a little bit annoying, is the bulky FTZ adapter. I understand, that a certain size is needed to compensate the difference between the F mount and Z mount, but I do not need the bulky tripod connection on the FTZ. Is there a good adapter from F to Z mount that is smaller or lighter than the FTZ?

Unfortunately Nikon stayed too long with G type lenses and mechanical aperture lever. This makes the transition to Z and cross-operability harder today.

There are only few E type lenses with electronic aperture control that would allow a more compact adapter, comparable to Canon EF to RF offerings. But those Nikon E type lenses are typically long teles -- where the tripod foot of the FTZ makes sense again

Ruekon's gear list:Ruekon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P950 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +4 more
Leonard Shepherd

Ruekon wrote:

But those Nikon E type lenses are typically long teles -- where the tripod foot of the FTZ makes sense again

I presume this comment is tongue in cheek as

1/ All the heavy long teles have a tripod collar

2/ Nikon's safe weight limit for a lens attached to the FTZ is 1300 g - near 2 pounds 14 ounces.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +25 more
msu79gt82 Senior Member • Posts: 1,359
Re: Saving Nikon

Dan DeLion wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

Dan DeLion wrote:

bmoag wrote:

The FTZ is a one size fits some adapter and does not fully adapt many Nikon lenses that would all function as they ought with Nikon full frame optical dSLRs. Not to mention late model F mount autofocus lenses from non-Nikon vendors.

As Tamron and Sigma are not marketing lenses in Z mounts there seems zero chance anyone would make a better than FTZ adapter, particularly Nikon.

bmoag - Would you happen to have 5 or 10 examples of the "many" Nikon lenses that don't function fully with the FTZ. We all know about screw drive lenses not having AF on the FTZ adaptor. I'm asking about high quality Nikkors, not third party lenses. The reason I'm asking is that I've had no problems with the 30 or so Nikkors that I own. So, it would be good to know which Nikkors to stay away from.

You should probably qualify that further by amending the comment to "high quality AF Nikkors".

In addition to AF-D lenses, the Nikon FTZ adapter does not "fully support" any lens that doesn't contain electrical contacts (chipped). That leaves out a wide range of high quality manual focus lenses. What doesn't work? No EXIF data in the file, no aperture data in the viewfinder either. I have no idea why Nikon decided to leave out the aperture tab on the adapter.

Hi Mike - Damn goods points! In addition to the FTZ's missing tab, there certainly should be a screw drive, a filter drawer, a small lite for illuminating the f-stop ring, and a helical for macro work. And, you know it can't cost Nikon more than $2 to make the next one. - they should give them away. It is the only way to save Nikon.

Stay safe - Dan

You forgot to add a folding keyboard to facilitate in camera PP, which of course also requires a dedicated SSD, and communication to the EXPEED chips.

msu79gt82's gear list:msu79gt82's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +6 more
Ruekon Senior Member • Posts: 1,606

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Ruekon wrote:

But those Nikon E type lenses are typically long teles -- where the tripod foot of the FTZ makes sense again

2/ Nikon's safe weight limit for a lens attached to the FTZ is 1300 g - near 2 pounds 14 ounces.

Think of 300/4 PF or 70-300 FX AF-P. They have no tripod collar on their own.

On contrary, the small 50/1.8G or 85/1.8G might fit nicely with a slim adapter, but require mechanical aperture control.

Oh, I have one indeed: the 16-80/2.8-4 would for sure benefit on a Z50 from a smaller adapter -- but that's rather an exception.

Ruekon's gear list:Ruekon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P950 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +4 more
Dan DeLion Contributing Member • Posts: 888
What About the NotePad?

msu79gt82 wrote:

Dan DeLion wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

Dan DeLion wrote:

bmoag wrote:

Hi Mike - Damn goods points! In addition to the FTZ's missing tab, there certainly should be a screw drive, a filter drawer, a small lite for illuminating the f-stop ring, and a helical for macro work. And, you know it can't cost Nikon more than $2 to make the next one. - they should give them away. It is the only way to save Nikon.

Stay safe - Dan

You forgot to add a folding keyboard to facilitate in camera PP, which of course also requires a dedicated SSD, and communication to the EXPEED chips.

Hi MSU - I may have forgotten a few "must haves" on an FTZ, but you forgot the need for an attached note pad to be used for jotting down Nikon complaints as they occur to the complainer! - So there!!!

Stay safe - Dan

Dan DeLion's gear list:Dan DeLion's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Hasselblad X1D II 50C Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +5 more
Re: What About the NotePad?

Dan DeLion wrote:

msu79gt82 wrote:

Dan DeLion wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

Dan DeLion wrote:

bmoag wrote:

Stay safe - Dan

Hi MSU - I may have forgotten a few "must haves" on an FTZ, but you forgot the need for an attached note pad to be used for jotting down Nikon complaints as they occur to the complainer! - So there!!!

Stay safe - Dan

Good one 

Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +6 more

Ruekon wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Ruekon wrote:

Yep, those two are the only F-Mount lenses I own and I'm very pleased to have an FTZ "permanently" attached to each one. And I might add, as a reference to another anti-FTZ thread, I'm thrilled to have gotten each one for $50.

Leonard Shepherd

Ruekon wrote:

Agreed - that is why I referred to heavy telephotos.

The 300 PF makes provision for using a tripod collar - costing around £40 for a Chinese version - or near £200 for the better IMO Nikon.

I use a Chinese version.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads