Not so bulky FTZ adapter?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
z2122
z2122 Senior Member • Posts: 1,396
Not so bulky FTZ adapter?

I still use 2-3  F mount lenses on my Z , and I don't want to change them due to seldom use and good IQ.

What is a little bit annoying, is the bulky FTZ adapter. I understand, that a certain size is needed to compensate the difference between the F mount and Z mount, but I do not need the bulky tripod connection on the FTZ.  Is there a good adapter from F to Z mount that is smaller or lighter than the FTZ?

-- hide signature --

catch the light - explore emotions

z2122's gear list:z2122's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +9 more
beatboxa Veteran Member • Posts: 7,530
Re: Not so bulky FTZ adapter?

z2122 wrote:

I still use 2-3 F mount lenses on my Z , and I don't want to change them due to seldom use and good IQ.

What is a little bit annoying, is the bulky FTZ adapter. I understand, that a certain size is needed to compensate the difference between the F mount and Z mount, but I do not need the bulky tripod connection on the FTZ. Is there a good adapter from F to Z mount that is smaller or lighter than the FTZ?

Throw a base plate onto your camera like the one from smallrig.  You'll never think about the FTZ "bulk" again.

Tootsall
Tootsall Senior Member • Posts: 1,807

I believe that “bulky tripod mount” also contains circuitry and a mechanism to link aperture control to non “E” lenses.

-- hide signature --

(Ed)

Tootsall's gear list:Tootsall's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II +9 more
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 7,233

beatboxa wrote:

z2122 wrote:

I still use 2-3 F mount lenses on my Z , and I don't want to change them due to seldom use and good IQ.

What is a little bit annoying, is the bulky FTZ adapter. I understand, that a certain size is needed to compensate the difference between the F mount and Z mount, but I do not need the bulky tripod connection on the FTZ. Is there a good adapter from F to Z mount that is smaller or lighter than the FTZ?

Throw a base plate onto your camera like the one from smallrig. You'll never think about the FTZ "bulk" again.

I would love to see a link to what you have in mind from smallrig.  Is that for hand holding with a gyro?

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
The first digital image was made in the late '60's for NASA, as a way to record images of Mars. Each "square" was represented by three numbers, corresponding to the red, green, and blue hue on a scale of 0 to 255. This eliminated the need to ship film back to Earth.

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 7,233

Tootsall wrote:

I believe that “bulky tripod mount” also contains circuitry and a mechanism to link aperture control to non “E” lenses.

Indeed and that tripod mount works great and balances some lenses nicely.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
The first digital image was made in the late '60's for NASA, as a way to record images of Mars. Each "square" was represented by three numbers, corresponding to the red, green, and blue hue on a scale of 0 to 255. This eliminated the need to ship film back to Earth.

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Heritage Cameras
Heritage Cameras Senior Member • Posts: 1,705

Tootsall wrote:

Yes, there's a motor and other components in the FTZ to operate the mechanical diaphragm lever on most lenses, as shown here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62316015

Presumably Nikon or some other manufacturer could make a slimmer, lighter and less expensive "FTZ Lite" adapter without this feature, but it would then only work fully on Nikkor E and other lenses with electronic diaphragm operation.

-- hide signature --

Dave, HCL

Heritage Cameras's gear list:Heritage Cameras's gear list
Sony a7
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 20,903

Heritage Cameras wrote:

Presumably Nikon or some other manufacturer could make a slimmer, lighter and less expensive "FTZ Lite" adapter

The Canon equivalent UK street price is around £120 - compared to £250 the FTZ as a single item.

The package price with a body and FTZ is often £100-150 extra for the FTZ.

Nikon could sell it cheaper as a stand alone item - but choose not to.

New "white box" FTZ typically cost around £150 in the UK.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +28 more
Heritage Cameras
Heritage Cameras Senior Member • Posts: 1,705

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Heritage Cameras wrote:

Presumably Nikon or some other manufacturer could make a slimmer, lighter and less expensive "FTZ Lite" adapter

The Canon equivalent UK street price is around £120 - compared to £250 the FTZ as a single item.

The package price with a body and FTZ is often £100-150 extra for the FTZ.

Nikon could sell it cheaper as a stand alone item - but choose not to.

New "white box" FTZ typically cost around £150 in the UK.

Indeed, that's the point I was making as the Canon adapter is all-electronic with no motor or mechanical features required. However, the link between manufacturing cost and selling price is somewhat "flexible"...

-- hide signature --

Dave, HCL

Heritage Cameras's gear list:Heritage Cameras's gear list
Sony a7

Ernie Misner wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

z2122 wrote:

Throw a base plate onto your camera like the one from smallrig. You'll never think about the FTZ "bulk" again.

I would love to see a link to what you have in mind from smallrig. Is that for hand holding with a gyro?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62101576

ZapperVT Contributing Member • Posts: 843

z2122 wrote:

Is there a good adapter from F to Z mount that is smaller or lighter than the FTZ?

No, if you want AF and aperture control. There are cheap dumb adapters that will work with manual focus lenses with mechanical aperture rings.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003JFRVD2/ref=psdcmw_3347321_t1_B07QJCNKPP

ZapperVT's gear list:ZapperVT's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +11 more
bmoag Senior Member • Posts: 2,749

The FTZ is a one size fits some adapter and does not fully adapt many Nikon lenses that would all function as they ought with Nikon full frame optical dSLRs. Not to mention late model F mount autofocus lenses from non-Nikon vendors.

The very definition of a "kludge."

As Tamron and Sigma are not marketing lenses in Z mounts there seems zero chance anyone would make a better than FTZ adapter, particularly Nikon.

bmoag's gear list:bmoag's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D3300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z6
Franks38 Regular Member • Posts: 263
Re: Not so bulky FTZ adapter?---Picture of FTZ innards

Hopefully, I got to the right DPR page. If yes, here is a photo of what is in the FTZ foot that requires is the size it is...Frank in Eugene, OR

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62316015

bmoag wrote:

The FTZ is a one size fits some adapter and does not fully adapt many Nikon lenses that would all function as they ought with Nikon full frame optical dSLRs. Not to mention late model F mount autofocus lenses from non-Nikon vendors.

As Tamron and Sigma are not marketing lenses in Z mounts there seems zero chance anyone would make a better than FTZ adapter, particularly Nikon.

The FTZ would be even bulkier if it had an AF motor for the old screw drive lenses.  It would be nice to have a second version of the FTZ with screw drive.  But I'm glad it's not in the one I have.

As for non-Nikon vendors, it depends on how good their F mount reverse engineering was.  Sigma didn't have many problems with the FTZ.  Tamron had more.  Samyang/Rokinon had lots.  As long as Nikon's policy is to keep their mounts proprietary, it's not on them to be compatible with 3rd parties.

Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +11 more
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,890

beatboxa wrote:

z2122 wrote:

Why?  Because he's now complaining about the SmallRig bulk?  Is your response tongue-in-cheek?

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z7 +34 more
Dan DeLion Contributing Member • Posts: 867
Some Examples

bmoag wrote:

bmoag - Would you happen to have 5 or 10 examples of the "many" Nikon lenses that don't function fully with the FTZ. We all know about screw drive lenses not having AF on the FTZ adaptor. I'm asking about high quality Nikkors, not third party lenses. The reason I'm asking is that I've had no problems with the 30 or so Nikkors that I own. So, it would be good to know which Nikkors to stay away from.

Stay safe - Dan

Dan DeLion's gear list:Dan DeLion's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Hasselblad X1D II 50C Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +5 more

ZapperVT wrote:

bmoag wrote:

The FTZ would be even bulkier if it had an AF motor for the old screw drive lenses. It would be nice to have a second version of the FTZ with screw drive. But I'm glad it's not in the one I have.

That's simply an invalid assumption to make. Have you looked at the Sony LA-EA5 adapter?  This adapter contains a motor for screw drive lenses.  I'm not saying Nikon will ever do this or even that they should do it.  But it's certainly feasible to do and doesn't require great size.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

z2122 wrote:

Why? Because he's now complaining about the SmallRig bulk? Is your response tongue-in-cheek?

No, I am being serious. In my case, I didn't like the additional asymmetrical bulk specifically from the bottom of the adapter, preventing the camera from sitting flush (and messing with the tripod compatibility in those cases). If the camera was slightly taller, we wouldn't have this issue. So there are several plates that can add a few mm to the camera and sort of blend out the bulkiness of the adapter that I personally only notice due to its asymmetry. It's not going to work for everyone, but it does for many people I've talked to, a few of which are in that link I posted earlier.

More on this topic at this link as well:

The smallrig is one of the larger ones, but there are others and some are much smaller.  Examples of more options are the RRS and the Nikon one.

michaeladawson wrote:

ZapperVT wrote:

bmoag wrote:

The FTZ would be even bulkier if it had an AF motor for the old screw drive lenses. It would be nice to have a second version of the FTZ with screw drive. But I'm glad it's not in the one I have.

That's simply an invalid assumption to make. Have you looked at the Sony LA-EA5 adapter? This adapter contains a motor for screw drive lenses. I'm not saying Nikon will ever do this or even that they should do it. But it's certainly feasible to do and doesn't require great size.

Good point.  That's an impressive piece of mechanical engineering.

beatboxa wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

z2122 wrote:

Why? Because he's now complaining about the SmallRig bulk? Is your response tongue-in-cheek?

No, I am being serious. In my case, I didn't like the additional asymmetrical bulk specifically from the bottom of the adapter, preventing the camera from sitting flush (and messing with the tripod compatibility in those cases). If the camera was slightly taller, we wouldn't have this issue. So there are several plates that can add a few mm to the camera and sort of blend out the bulkiness of the adapter that I personally only notice due to its asymmetry. It's not going to work for everyone, but it does for many people I've talked to, a few of which are in that link I posted earlier.

More on this topic at this link as well:

The smallrig is one of the larger ones, but there are others and some are much smaller. Examples of more options are the RRS and the Nikon one.

To each their own.  I don't like the extra protrusion of the FTZ tripod adapter.  And I wouldn't want that SmallRig plate on my camera all the time either.  With or without the FTZ.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

Re: Some Examples

Dan DeLion wrote:

bmoag wrote:

bmoag - Would you happen to have 5 or 10 examples of the "many" Nikon lenses that don't function fully with the FTZ. We all know about screw drive lenses not having AF on the FTZ adaptor. I'm asking about high quality Nikkors, not third party lenses. The reason I'm asking is that I've had no problems with the 30 or so Nikkors that I own. So, it would be good to know which Nikkors to stay away from.

You should probably qualify that further by amending the comment to "high quality AF Nikkors".

In addition to AF-D lenses, the Nikon FTZ adapter does not "fully support" any lens that doesn't contain electrical contacts (chipped).  That leaves out a wide range of high quality manual focus lenses.  What doesn't work?  No EXIF data in the file, no aperture data in the viewfinder either.  I have no idea why Nikon decided to leave out the aperture tab on the adapter.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads