OLY MFT -> Fuji X-S10 - First Impressions

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
LarsPolarBear
LarsPolarBear Contributing Member • Posts: 554
OLY MFT -> Fuji X-S10 - First Impressions

This thread is mostly aimed at m43 shooters that are looking for an alternative (especially after the Oly sale to JIP) and might consider the Fuji X-S10.

I have been shooting Oly m43 (16 MP) for 6 years and I enjoyed the experience of having a competent and small camera system.  I had bought the Pen E-PL7 for its small size, light weight (travel and street), the availability of a small long lens for wildlife (Oly 75-300mm) and the availability of a small, quality and well thought through underwater housing for scuba diving.

However, I have now outgrown the camera and lenses and was looking for some time for an alternative.  I did patiently wait for the OMD E-M5 III, but was underwhelmed by it and thought is was totally overpriced for its abilities... ...but then, suddenly out of nowhere the X-S10 appeared and I was immediately fascinated by it, it ticked sooo many of my boxes, that I went and bought it even though it just came to market (which I don't tend to do) and there is no underwater casing available (yet).

So, What did I get? To replicate my current system I got the following:

- Fuji X-S10 with 16-80 f4 kit lens for hiking, travel and general shooting;

- Fuji 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 for wildlife (local and international travel) and hiking;

- Fuji 23mm f2 for low light and street photography.

So, I have spend a week with it now and have only started to get used to it, therfore this is NOT review, but just a first impressions account.  Ones first reaction to something new are often the most honest reactions and less tainted by overthinking, therfore I thought it might be useful for others in a similar situation.

Arrival of the boxes:

I had immediate buyers remorse, "what a big mistake", I thought, it was just sooo much bigger and heavier than my old system and I was afraid it would just collect dust at home.  However, when unpacked the lenses felt good, I loved the ergonomics of the camera with its deeper rip and the position of the dials. So, I was ready to try it out...

First shots:

After my first very anxious shots I turned to my wife and said: "I am not giving this back!  I am going to fight anybody who tries to take it away from me!!!"  I just loved it!  The AF was sooo much better (the Oly E-PL7 does not have the newer PDAF 20MP sensor, but relies on CDAF).  The camera lies well in one's hand even with the heavy 100-400mm and the IBIS together with the OIS does a beautiful job to steady the view.

When I went out to shoot wildlife for hours by walking around (no tripod), the deep grip helped a lot with the weight to just have it dangle around on one hand.  However, my right arm was a little sore after 4+ hours of holding it in my hands, which would have not happened with the Oly.

While battery life is limited, the well positioned on/off switch makes it easy to conserve energy.  The use of the Focus Joystick is relatively intuitive and even better once you have read the manual . I have not yet had too much practise with the focus tracking, but it is significantly better than on the Oly.  I will take the camera out for street shooting later this week and might update my views here later

Menu System and Operations:

Even though, the Oly menu system having been heavily criticised, I kind of liked it due to the ability to customise basically everything.  Well, the Fuji menu system is as confusing to someone new to it, as the Oly system, and it offers a (almost) ridiculous amount of customisation.  Yes, you have to read the manual (I am still on it) - unfortunately the manual is as bad as the Oly one, keeping things more obscure to those who are not in the know, than really explaining the function, especially beginner will struggle with it.

Pictures and PP Workflow:

My first reaction to my initial pictures taken (long way to go, to fully master the whole potential of the camera), was excitement and relief.  Yes, I did not make a massive mistake!  I liked to colours and the detail of the pictures, and "yes", the AF had nailed it!  When shooting the Oly, I did not go above ISO 800 to avoid too much noise (wildlife needs a lot of cropping), however, on the Fuji I am ok with shooting ISO 2000, paired with the faster 100-400mm lens, it allows for much faster shutter speeds and significantly more keepers.

Currently I am still struggling a little with the PP workflow.  My main software is LR 6.14 and Pixelmator Pro (I hate subscription models), which are both not compatible with the X-S10's RAW files, so I have to convert to DNG.  I have tried Adobe DNG Converter and Iridient X-Transformer, but am not fully convinced yet.  I still have to try Capture One, but would like to avoid having to learn a new software.  While I had done my homework on the file size, it is still shocking to having to deal with the significantly larger Fuji files, almost killing my computer (one might add the price of a new computer to the switching cost, if you are not in the possession of the high performance machine).

Interesting to me was, that getting used to the new aspect ratio is a little harder than anticipated.  M43 is having a 4:3 aspect ratio and APS-C is 3:2.  It is like a painter having had one size of paper for years and suddenly they are not selling it anymore and he has to paint on a different size of paper. You get used to visualizing the picture even before you pick up the camera, and this vision is based on the aspect ratio you are used to.

Furthermore, due to the different aspect ratio, the increase in MP from 16 to 26 is less significant for wildlife cropping, since you cut away a lot on the sides, without much magnification effect.

Preliminary Conclusion:

So, would I do it again and would I recommend it to others?

Yes, I would do it again!  I think the camera gives me lots of room to grow and I enjoy shooting it and looking at the results, something that was not true anymore for the system it replaces.

If it is right for you, depends a lot on your needs and your commitment to photography. I find that the size of the camera with the lenses (not just the 100-400mm) demands more commitment to take it with you. The small sized and lightweight m43 cameras can be easier taken with you in a casual way.  However, the outcome is also significantly better with the Fuji. It is a little like: "Do I only bring my iPhone or do I bring the camera?".

I hope this little write-up gives a little more a user perspective to those out there having to make the choice of switching camera systems, going beyond the technical specs.

Cheers,

Lars

PS: Here some of my first attempt, as said this is just the beginning...

Young Goshawk

Woodpecker in Mangrove Forest with difficult lighting

Buffy Fish Owl trying to sleep

Kingfisher

Hornbill ready to feed his babies

Olympus E-PL7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sutto Contributing Member • Posts: 726
Re: OLY MFT -> Fuji X-S10 - First Impressions

All I can say is WOW - your photos are fantastic.  I have no interest in this camera for me because the deal breaker is no WR.  However, for you I'm glad it works and it obviously is because you are enjoying it and your pictures are really great.  All the best and I hope we can see more of them.

Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

maxxxx Contributing Member • Posts: 932

LarsPolarBear wrote:

This thread is mostly aimed at m43 shooters that are looking for an alternative (especially after the Oly sale to JIP) and might consider the Fuji X-S10.

I have been shooting Oly m43 (16 MP) for 6 years and I enjoyed the experience of having a competent and small camera system. I had bought the Pen E-PL7 for its small size, light weight (travel and street), the availability of a small long lens for wildlife (Oly 75-300mm) and the availability of a small, quality and well thought through underwater housing for scuba diving.

However, I have now outgrown the camera and lenses and was looking for some time for an alternative. I did patiently wait for the OMD E-M5 III, but was underwhelmed by it and thought is was totally overpriced for its abilities... ...but then, suddenly out of nowhere the X-S10 appeared and I was immediately fascinated by it, it ticked sooo many of my boxes, that I went and bought it even though it just came to market (which I don't tend to do) and there is no underwater casing available (yet).

- Fuji 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 for wildlife (local and international travel) and hiking;

So, I have spend a week with it now and have only started to get used to it, therfore this is NOT review, but just a first impressions account. Ones first reaction to something new are often the most honest reactions and less tainted by overthinking, therfore I thought it might be useful for others in a similar situation.

Arrival of the boxes:

I had immediate buyers remorse, "what a big mistake", I thought, it was just sooo much bigger and heavier than my old system and I was afraid it would just collect dust at home. However, when unpacked the lenses felt good, I loved the ergonomics of the camera with its deeper rip and the position of the dials. So, I was ready to try it out...

First shots:

After my first very anxious shots I turned to my wife and said: "I am not giving this back! I am going to fight anybody who tries to take it away from me!!!" I just loved it! The AF was sooo much better (the Oly E-PL7 does not have the newer PDAF 20MP sensor, but relies on CDAF). The camera lies well in one's hand even with the heavy 100-400mm and the IBIS together with the OIS does a beautiful job to steady the view.

When I went out to shoot wildlife for hours by walking around (no tripod), the deep grip helped a lot with the weight to just have it dangle around on one hand. However, my right arm was a little sore after 4+ hours of holding it in my hands, which would have not happened with the Oly.

While battery life is limited, the well positioned on/off switch makes it easy to conserve energy. The use of the Focus Joystick is relatively intuitive and even better once you have read the manual . I have not yet had too much practise with the focus tracking, but it is significantly better than on the Oly. I will take the camera out for street shooting later this week and might update my views here later

Even though, the Oly menu system having been heavily criticised, I kind of liked it due to the ability to customise basically everything. Well, the Fuji menu system is as confusing to someone new to it, as the Oly system, and it offers a (almost) ridiculous amount of customisation. Yes, you have to read the manual (I am still on it) - unfortunately the manual is as bad as the Oly one, keeping things more obscure to those who are not in the know, than really explaining the function, especially beginner will struggle with it.

My first reaction to my initial pictures taken (long way to go, to fully master the whole potential of the camera), was excitement and relief. Yes, I did not make a massive mistake! I liked to colours and the detail of the pictures, and "yes", the AF had nailed it! When shooting the Oly, I did not go above ISO 800 to avoid too much noise (wildlife needs a lot of cropping), however, on the Fuji I am ok with shooting ISO 2000, paired with the faster 100-400mm lens, it allows for much faster shutter speeds and significantly more keepers.

Currently I am still struggling a little with the PP workflow. My main software is LR 6.14 and Pixelmator Pro (I hate subscription models), which are both not compatible with the X-S10's RAW files, so I have to convert to DNG. I have tried Adobe DNG Converter and Iridient X-Transformer, but am not fully convinced yet. I still have to try Capture One, but would like to avoid having to learn a new software. While I had done my homework on the file size, it is still shocking to having to deal with the significantly larger Fuji files, almost killing my computer (one might add the price of a new computer to the switching cost, if you are not in the possession of the high performance machine).

Interesting to me was, that getting used to the new aspect ratio is a little harder than anticipated. M43 is having a 4:3 aspect ratio and APS-C is 3:2. It is like a painter having had one size of paper for years and suddenly they are not selling it anymore and he has to paint on a different size of paper. You get used to visualizing the picture even before you pick up the camera, and this vision is based on the aspect ratio you are used to.

Furthermore, due to the different aspect ratio, the increase in MP from 16 to 26 is less significant for wildlife cropping, since you cut away a lot on the sides, without much magnification effect.

Preliminary Conclusion:

Yes, I would do it again! I think the camera gives me lots of room to grow and I enjoy shooting it and looking at the results, something that was not true anymore for the system it replaces.

If it is right for you, depends a lot on your needs and your commitment to photography. I find that the size of the camera with the lenses (not just the 100-400mm) demands more commitment to take it with you. The small sized and lightweight m43 cameras can be easier taken with you in a casual way. However, the outcome is also significantly better with the Fuji. It is a little like: "Do I only bring my iPhone or do I bring the camera?".

I hope this little write-up gives a little more a user perspective to those out there having to make the choice of switching camera systems, going beyond the technical specs.

Cheers,

Lars

Young Goshawk

Kingfisher

Where do you live to go on a quick walk and see all these birds?

maxxxx's gear list:maxxxx's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +4 more
LarsPolarBear
OP LarsPolarBear Contributing Member • Posts: 554

Sutto wrote:

All I can say is WOW - your photos are fantastic.

Thanks Sutto, but now comes the harder part of getting BIF and action shots, that will be more challenging!

I have no interest in this camera for me because the deal breaker is no WR.

Yes, agree, think this is an oversight, basically all smartphones are WR today, if camera manufacturer want to stay alive, they have to make their cameras WR, even entry models like the X-T200. However, all cameras are somewho a compromise, and this one is the one that fits my bill the best.

However, for you I'm glad it works and it obviously is because you are enjoying it and your pictures are really great. All the best and I hope we can see more of them.

Thanks!

Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

LarsPolarBear

Most of the picture were taken in Pasir Ris Park, Singapore, only the Kingfisher was so kind as to visit my garden!

CH179 Forum Member • Posts: 77

nice pictures. Glad that you enjoy your new camera. i am looking at xs10 to replace my em5ii & XT2, so far it's the best compromise, something small and light with stabilized apsc sensor and a flippy screen.. I have been waiting for so long for fuji to come out with a camera with IBIS that is small enough to make me not miss my em5ii too much, and the price is just right for me.

CH179's gear list:CH179's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus E-M5 II Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
LarsPolarBear

CH179 wrote:

nice pictures. Glad that you enjoy your new camera. i am looking at xs10 to replace my em5ii & XT2, so far it's the best compromise, something small and light with stabilized apsc sensor and a flippy screen.. I have been waiting for so long for fuji to come out with a camera with IBIS that is small enough to make me not miss my em5ii too much, and the price is just right for me.

Yes, would definitely look into it, especially, since you already have experience with Fuji and its lenses.  As long as you don’t get too long lenses, the difference to the E-M5 II should not be sooo significant, just check it out before you buy it.

Good  Luck!

Lars

garydavidplummer New Member • Posts: 7

Lars --

I too am strongly considering moving to Fuji from Olympus. I use an E-M1 2 and an E-M5 2.

I have been looking at the X-S10 and the X-T4 because I need IBIS.

How are you finding the X-s10's viewfinder? I'm a little concerned about that aspect of the camera because I use the viewfinder heavily and I also wear glasses.

Thanks for your thoughts. You first impressions have been very helpful.

Gary Plummer

ly2photos
ly2photos Forum Member • Posts: 94

Glad you're loving the new system! And wow! Your shots are really really really really really great! Just one thing though, some of them need a touch of dehazing and slightly brightening!

Great post and excellent shots! I especially love the first and last ones! Happy shooting and I wish you the best!

-- hide signature --
 ly2photos's gear list:ly2photos's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
LarsPolarBear

Hello Gary,

garydavidplummer wrote:

Lars --

I too am strongly considering moving to Fuji from Olympus. I use an E-M1 2 and an E-M5 2.

Please keep in mind that the E-M1 II is using a different image pipeline and that your mileage might vary significantly from mine,  as it has the 20MP sensor with PDAF. My experience would be comparable with a move from the E-M5 II.

I am one of the few people that are not happy with the Oly colour science, so moving away from Oly to Fuji promised improvement on that side - and it it for me. However, this might be different for you. Unfortunately, I find the the sample galleries here on DPR misleading regarding the Fuji colours (too much blue in these pictures), I find my own results much more pleasing and I hardly change anything regarding colour in PP.

I have been looking at the X-S10 and the X-T4 because I need IBIS.

How are you finding the X-s10's viewfinder? I'm a little concerned about that aspect of the camera because I use the viewfinder heavily and I also wear glasses.

I am also wearing glasses and are shooting in a tropical environment with very bright sunlight, which works very well.  I find the viewfinder adequate, its resolution and colour rendition is not fantastic - as all EVFs in this class are.  When I was trying to shoot BIF yesterday, it started to stutter making it difficult to follow the bird (did this only once).  However, it is very usable for me and I don't think of it as a negative when I use the camera.  Again, coming from a E-M1 II, your experience might be different.

You first impressions have been very helpful.

Thanks!

Hope that this is somewhat helpful, but I am trying to be open about what I know, and what I don't know, so not to mislead you.

Cheers,

Lars

LarsPolarBear

Hi,

nayyyyyyy7 wrote:

Glad you're loving the new system! And wow! Your shots are really really really really really great!

Thanks!

Just one thing though, some of them need a touch of dehazing and slightly brightening!

Yes, as I said my PP workflow is far from being where I want it to be.  These were just first attempts and I am grateful for any advise that might help to steepen my learning curve.

Great post and excellent shots! I especially love the first and last ones! Happy shooting and I wish you the best!

Thanks and all the best to you too!

Lars

BadExample Regular Member • Posts: 169

Those are WOW photographs !!!

Felice62 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,506

Congrats on the purchase.

That said I find a bit unfair comparing the s10 with the pl-7.

Far more comparable would have been m1.2 vs s-10.

If you have been on the mft forum you have certainly seen the capabilities of the system especially for wildlife shooting. With optics such as the olly 300 pro or even the pl 100-400, i confess I could not tell the difference between z mft and a full frame capture.

Probably you should have tried a more comptetent mft body and lens combination before convincing yourself the whole system could not offer an alternative?

Enjoy the cute s10!

-- hide signature --

If only closed minds came with closed mouths..

Felice62's gear list:Felice62's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II +26 more
And-roid
And-roid Contributing Member • Posts: 964

LarsPolarBear wrote:

I have been shooting Oly m43 (16 MP) for 6 years and I enjoyed the experience of having a competent and small camera system. I had bought the Pen E-PL7 for its small size, light weight (travel and street), the availability of a small long lens for wildlife (Oly 75-300mm) and the availability of a small, quality and well thought through underwater housing for scuba diving.

However, I have now outgrown the camera and lenses and was looking for some time for an alternative. I did patiently wait for the OMD E-M5 III, but was underwhelmed by it and thought is was totally overpriced for its abilities... ...but then, suddenly out of nowhere the X-S10 appeared and I was immediately fascinated by it, it ticked sooo many of my boxes, that I went and bought it even though it just came to market (which I don't tend to do) and there is no underwater casing available (yet).

So, I have spend a week with it now and have only started to get used to it, therfore this is NOT review, but just a first impressions account. Ones first reaction to something new are often the most honest reactions and less tainted by overthinking, therfore I thought it might be useful for others in a similar situation.

Arrival of the boxes:

I had immediate buyers remorse, "what a big mistake", I thought, it was just sooo much bigger and heavier than my old system and I was afraid it would just collect dust at home. However, when unpacked the lenses felt good, I loved the ergonomics of the camera with its deeper rip and the position of the dials. So, I was ready to try it out...

First shots:

After my first very anxious shots I turned to my wife and said: "I am not giving this back! I am going to fight anybody who tries to take it away from me!!!" I just loved it! The AF was sooo much better (the Oly E-PL7 does not have the newer PDAF 20MP sensor, but relies on CDAF). The camera lies well in one's hand even with the heavy 100-400mm and the IBIS together with the OIS does a beautiful job to steady the view.

When I went out to shoot wildlife for hours by walking around (no tripod), the deep grip helped a lot with the weight to just have it dangle around on one hand. However, my right arm was a little sore after 4+ hours of holding it in my hands, which would have not happened with the Oly.

While battery life is limited, the well positioned on/off switch makes it easy to conserve energy. The use of the Focus Joystick is relatively intuitive and even better once you have read the manual . I have not yet had too much practise with the focus tracking, but it is significantly better than on the Oly. I will take the camera out for street shooting later this week and might update my views here later

Even though, the Oly menu system having been heavily criticised, I kind of liked it due to the ability to customise basically everything. Well, the Fuji menu system is as confusing to someone new to it, as the Oly system, and it offers a (almost) ridiculous amount of customisation. Yes, you have to read the manual (I am still on it) - unfortunately the manual is as bad as the Oly one, keeping things more obscure to those who are not in the know, than really explaining the function, especially beginner will struggle with it.

My first reaction to my initial pictures taken (long way to go, to fully master the whole potential of the camera), was excitement and relief. Yes, I did not make a massive mistake! I liked to colours and the detail of the pictures, and "yes", the AF had nailed it! When shooting the Oly, I did not go above ISO 800 to avoid too much noise (wildlife needs a lot of cropping), however, on the Fuji I am ok with shooting ISO 2000, paired with the faster 100-400mm lens, it allows for much faster shutter speeds and significantly more keepers.

Currently I am still struggling a little with the PP workflow. My main software is LR 6.14 and Pixelmator Pro (I hate subscription models), which are both not compatible with the X-S10's RAW files, so I have to convert to DNG. I have tried Adobe DNG Converter and Iridient X-Transformer, but am not fully convinced yet. I still have to try Capture One, but would like to avoid having to learn a new software. While I had done my homework on the file size, it is still shocking to having to deal with the significantly larger Fuji files, almost killing my computer (one might add the price of a new computer to the switching cost, if you are not in the possession of the high performance machine).

Interesting to me was, that getting used to the new aspect ratio is a little harder than anticipated. M43 is having a 4:3 aspect ratio and APS-C is 3:2. It is like a painter having had one size of paper for years and suddenly they are not selling it anymore and he has to paint on a different size of paper. You get used to visualizing the picture even before you pick up the camera, and this vision is based on the aspect ratio you are used to.

Preliminary Conclusion:

Yes, I would do it again! I think the camera gives me lots of room to grow and I enjoy shooting it and looking at the results, something that was not true anymore for the system it replaces.

If it is right for you, depends a lot on your needs and your commitment to photography. I find that the size of the camera with the lenses (not just the 100-400mm) demands more commitment to take it with you. The small sized and lightweight m43 cameras can be easier taken with you in a casual way. However, the outcome is also significantly better with the Fuji. It is a little like: "Do I only bring my iPhone or do I bring the camera?".

Cheers,

Lars

Young Goshawk

Kingfisher

I did a lot of testing recently of em5.3/em1.3/x-t4/x-t3 and have eventually settled on x-s10. I prefer size of em5.3 but needed the grip so the x-s10 fits the size category well

Here's a couple of images that shows how close em5.3/x-t4 actually are in landscape!

x-trans = Capture One

robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,365

LarsPolarBear wrote:

Welcome, I'm not in that group, but I've found this a very interesting read.

--

Maybe you have already seen it, but this thread https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4535768 where a spreadsheet with all possible settings is shown may of interest.

-- hide signature --

Currently I am still struggling a little with the PP workflow. My main software is LR 6.14 and Pixelmator Pro (I hate subscription models), which are both not compatible with the X-S10's RAW files, so I have to convert to DNG. I have tried Adobe DNG Converter and Iridient X-Transformer, but am not fully convinced yet.

What are you not satisfied with, workflow or output?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,

Lars

Great shots, but some are a tad too dark for my liking. Are you setting Time and Aperture manually?

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads