D-850 replacement wishes

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Filmdoc Junior Member • Posts: 35
D-850 replacement wishes

The main improvements I would like to see are faster "attack time" in the autofocus system and a deeper buffer that clears faster. A buffer that takes full advantage of the CF Express card technology. Let's see two master processor Expeed chips in the new camera. The negative-to-positive system should work in RAW. (Histogram included) The video stuff to me is snoozing material, although I suppose the video will be improved the same way the D-780 was. I'm sure they don't want to step on the toes of the D-6 auto focus system. Please speed up the AF response time in the new camera. Make it a better action camera. It can be done. Come on Nikon, you can do it. Give us SLR users a reason to want a new SLR. (If the "Bean Counters" let you.) Please, no mirrorless talk in responses.

Antal I Kozma
Antal I Kozma Veteran Member • Posts: 3,360
Re: D-850 replacement wishes

No mirrorless talk..................  

I have the D850, excellent. However, as of improvements I'd like to see a faster burs rate natively, without the battery grip. Let's say 10 fps. Then a quite mirror slap. I realize how loud it is when I switch to my D500, it is like smooth butter compared to the sharp crack of a gunshot the D850 exhibits. Native CF Express? It definitely will come although I am absolutely fine with the XQD performance.

Best, AIK

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +20 more
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 17,246

Having gone from the D810 to the D850 and used both in very challenging autofocus situations, I'm hard-pressed to see how the D850 could get much faster on AF, but I'd love to see it.  By the way, what AF mode are you using?   For me, most of the time it's single point AF and using the center point.  (Fastest speed, most accurate placement).  I've sometimes tried 3d but don't trust it to pick the right point.)

Where I've seen poor AF performance is in Live View/video.   Video to me is unusable when both camera and subject are moving.  Judging from the D780, AF improvement in video is not just possible, but could be significantly improved.

Dynamic range/high ISO/noise performance - any small improvement here is always welcome.

Shooting speed - any small improvement here is welcome, along with clearing buffers faster (CFexpress?).

Dual cards that match (dual CFexpress slots).  I'm a bit mixed on this one as I've been in situations where I needed to come up with an SD card on the road, and it was awfully handy to have an SD slot.    How about THREE slots, two CFE and one SD for 'just-in-case' compatibility?

Better AF tune system - basically something that holds more than one setting for zooms.

Better flash support, whatever that is.

Certainly much much better connectivity options, like taking a picture and being able to post it to Facebook without downloading to a PC, processing, exporting and uploading.  Probably this would need to happen via cell phone.   And here's the thing - all improvements here are only likely to be improvements if Nikon does NOT do the software.   And on the other extreme, Nikon charges too much for the non-free Software they provide.  (The good stuff.)

All-in-all, there seem only two areas where big improvements are possible:  video and software.   I don't have interest in one, and I've gotten used to the other, by using Lightroom.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"I miss the days when I was nostalgic."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E +37 more
OP Filmdoc Junior Member • Posts: 35

Yes, burst rate can be improved. I do Birding and Aviation and can live with 8 F.P.S. I do hope they speed it up. It would be icing on the cake. If not it's grip-and-battery time again. Would you like to see the AF response quickened?

Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,977
Re: D850 Replacement

I have yet to encounter anything that would want changed. I reckon that I would appreciate a faster frame rate, without having to attach an external battery grip. I do appreciate the D5’s frame rate, at times, but have yet to be vexed by my D850 being too slow.

Because the D6 exists, Nikon would logically equip a D850 successor with some AF DNA trickled-down from the D6. I have never experienced using a D6, so, cannot say whether I would fully appreciate this improvement.

The D850 does have a loud shutter, but, if I plan ahead, I have a work-around for that, my Canon 5Ds R.

I tend to doubt that there will be a DSLR successor models, to replace the D850 or D500. I foresee the possibility of adding a second D850, to act as a hedge against the eventual demise of my first D850.

-- hide signature --

By accident of availability, I learned to use Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the same time. I love specific lenses made by both Canon and Nikon, too much to quit either system. Dabbling with Leica-M is fun, too. I am, certainly, not an expert.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +56 more
fpapp
fpapp Contributing Member • Posts: 836

Please make the D850 replacement compatible with the MB-D18 grip so I don't have to buy a new one!

fpapp's gear list:fpapp's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A1000 Nikon D850 Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 Voigtlander 20mm F3.5 Color Skopar SL II +51 more
NotASpeckOfCereal Senior Member • Posts: 1,648

Please make the D850 replacement keep posters from creating duplicate threads of a topic already well covers in another current thread.

NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list:NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +8 more
Hugh Barstead Regular Member • Posts: 119

Improved AF tuning is what I would like the most. With 3rd party lenses being offered with docks and allowing fine tuning at different focal lengths (zooms), the Nikon system looks weak. Fortunately with Nikon lenses I find it seldom necessary. Still ...

9 FPS, 10 FPS, not much difference and they’re not going to make it 15 FPS. D850 can already shoot at 30 FPS but in 8MP only. Maybe there is room for some improvement in the electronic shutter for fast FPS at a higher resolution.

Advertised MTBF actuations of the shutter figure is lower than some of the competition. Since we’re likely to have to wait a while for the next replacement, some increased shutter life would inspire confidence.

Other than that don’t mess with a good thing.

Antal I Kozma
Antal I Kozma Veteran Member • Posts: 3,360

Filmdoc wrote:

Yes, burst rate can be improved. I do Birding and Aviation and can live with 8 F.P.S. I do hope they speed it up. It would be icing on the cake. If not it's grip-and-battery time again. Would you like to see the AF response quickened?

AF response quicker? Definitely wouldn't hurt. A D6 like? Cheepers, we are talking about a super DSLR here............   Likely with super price tag....... 

Best, AIK

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +20 more
Jocksa
Jocksa Contributing Member • Posts: 858

Can’t really answer without mentioning mirrorless because that’s the most likely source of improvement. The D850 is already a beast when used mirror down. Just like the D750 to D780 change, the most fertile ground for improvement is its performance mirror up and the easiest way to do that to do that is to put a sensor and sensor AF system straight out of a Z series camera.

-- hide signature --

“Stand in front of something more interesting.”

Jocksa's gear list:Jocksa's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +7 more
ruley74
ruley74 Contributing Member • Posts: 704
  • Faster frame (10+) rate without grip
  • Usable live view Af system for stills and video
  • Improved ISO handling abilities
  • Improved AF akin D6

Then I can truely have a do it all camera!

-- hide signature --

I give permission to edit my posted images for the purpose of constructive feedback, if it's not constructive don't bother!
https://www.instagram.com/photos_by_ruley/?hl=en

ruley74's gear list:ruley74's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon D5 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads