Can’t edit raw photos in Lightroom

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Arty1106 New Member • Posts: 15
Can’t edit raw photos in Lightroom

Wondering if someone can please help me out! I just bought the Sony a6100 and I used raw and jpg but for some reason when I import them to Lightroom to edit I am not able to edit the raw files. They show up but when I go to my presets Lightroom basically freezes on me. Not sure what’s going on but I have no issue editing my jpg files. Help please! Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 18,447
Re: Can’t edit raw photos in Lightroom

Are you using a recent version of Lightroom? I don't know when they added support for your camera but you have to be using a version distributed after the camera's introduction date.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,459

Leonard Migliore wrote:

Are you using a recent version of Lightroom? I don't know when they added support for your camera but you have to be using a version distributed after the camera's introduction date.

Worth checking, but IIRC when you try to work on an unsupported file you get an error message

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
OP Arty1106 New Member • Posts: 15

I’m using the newer Lightroom not Lightroom cc. Maybe I will try it in there instead and see what happens. Thanks!

lost alaskan
lost alaskan Senior Member • Posts: 1,728

I was using the latest(last?) version of stand-alone LR when I got my new A6300.  At that point LR didn't recognize it and I ended up going with the subscription.

lost alaskan's gear list:lost alaskan's gear list
Sony a6300 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more

I have the subscription, I just don’t know why it will import the raw photos but won’t let me edit.

CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 7,541

The a6100 is such an old camera that any recent version of Lightroom Classic or CC should be able to deal with the files.

If you avoid using your presets, does Lightroom work with your Raw files? Can you import and open the images in the Lightroom Library module? Can you then move to the Develop module? Can you apply Auto settings in either the Library Module or Develop Module without causing the freeze-up?

If you have the Adobe Creative Cloud subscription, have you tried opening the images in Photoshop and the Raw Converter there? Or does Photoshop freeze as well?

Can you post a screenshot of the error messages you are getting or of the screen when it freezes for us to look at?

I haven’t downloaded Lightroom classic or photoshop yet just the newer Lightroom since I thought it may be easier to start with as a beginner. It seems to work if I use my own presets or just edit in general (still slow but works) but for some reason there’s a preset I purchased and it’s supposed to be compatible with all apps and that’s the one it’s not working for. When I hover down on it this is what pops up then I have to force quit. I can use it for jpg no problem. I emailed the person I purchased from and she said she hasn’t heard of this happening so not sure what to do

I haven’t downloaded Lightroom classic or photoshop yet just the newer Lightroom since I thought it may be easier to start with as a beginner. It seems to work if I use my own presets or just edit in general (still slow but works) but for some reason there’s a preset I purchased and it’s supposed to be compatible with all apps and that’s the one it’s not working for. When I hover down on it this is what pops up then I have to force quit. I can use it for jpg no problem. I emailed the person I purchased from and she said she hasn’t heard of this happening so not sure what to do

CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 7,541

If I understand you, Lightroom seems to work except with a preset you bought. Since the preset developer doesn't know how to fix it, I would be at a loss to suggest something else unless it is to ask for your money back.

Since you seem new to Lightroom you ought to check out The LightroomQueen website where there is lots of good information about Lightroom with tutorials and books for getting started. You may wish to decide first of all if you want the Cloud-based version or the desktop version basing this decision on how you want to work with your images on an ongoing basis, rather than what might seem easiest to start off with.

robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 8,090

Arty1106 wrote:

I'd suggest getting a refund on the preset. Sounds like it's their problem.

You could try this though. Apply the preset to a jpeg. Then use the Sync function to apply the same adjustments to a raw (Adobe help explains how to do that if you don't know).

Or just look at the values the preset applies and see if you can set the same values on the raw file.

Yeah I did and they said not sure why it’s happening has nothing to do with preset may be the ram or needs to be updated. I don’t have a lot of ram since I’m using Mac air but everything is updated just kind of bummed I can’t use it on my raw photos. Thanks for the help!

Awesome thanks for the suggestion! I will try that and see what happens.

robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,459

robgendreau wrote:

Arty1106 wrote:

I'd suggest getting a refund on the preset. Sounds like it's their problem.

You could try this though. Apply the preset to a jpeg. Then use the Sync function to apply the same adjustments to a raw (Adobe help explains how to do that if you don't know).

Couldn't you save the settings from the jpg as a new preset?

Or just look at the values the preset applies and see if you can set the same values on the raw file.

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
JMoochie Contributing Member • Posts: 511

I would check the size (megapixels) of the RAW image compared to the .jpg's you've been using. If the size of the RAW is significantly larger I would look to my RAM in my computer being inadequate to the task.

I went from 4 to 12 GB RAM and what a difference that made - previously ranging from sluggish or freezing to speedy. Some post-processing functions like a lot more than 12GB.

JMoochie's gear list:JMoochie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Nikon Coolpix P950 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Samsung Galaxy S9+ +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads