IBIS for old age?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
jerryf128 Contributing Member • Posts: 727
IBIS for old age?

Hi all,

Currently, I have the X-T2 and the 2 xc lenses. I shoot mostly landscape, daylight , images, some low light. At 80 yrs. of age, I am unsteady, I don't use tripods, and just wondering if using the X-H1 under the conditions described, would be of any help. By shooting daylight shooting at higher shutter speeds, is there a benefit using IBIS or little to no gain?

Thanks

Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
marclw
marclw Senior Member • Posts: 1,388
Re: IBIS for old age?

You bet! I'm 72 and I wouldn't leave home without IBIS or without a stabilized lens. It's a fricking godsend.  I rarely use it now. I'm all in with my x-H1 with IBIS and my 16-55 f/2.8 and my x-Pro2 with the 18-55 f/2/8-3.5. I have the fujichrons and several Vogtlander primes that are not stabilized. They work well on the x-H1. I have to use them only in good light with the x-pro2. I've always loved stabilization since it came out. I've been shooting for over 60 years and, looking back, I see so many images ruined by camera shake that didn't have to be...... Like you, I shake a lot more now. I appreciate that technology a lot and couldn't live without it.

Marc

marclw's gear list:marclw's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Leica CL Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +14 more
OP jerryf128 Contributing Member • Posts: 727

Thanks Marc, that is what I was hoping to hear. As I mentioned, most of the time I don't use a tripod. I see the X-S 10 has IBIS, but I like the EVF on the XTs.

AlainCo Regular Member • Posts: 217

Help thyself, and IBIS will help thee.

Cheers,

AlainCo

-- hide signature --

Beauty is in the eye of the photographer

AlainCo's gear list:AlainCo's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X100F Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 +14 more

Thanks Alain.

Mr Bolton Contributing Member • Posts: 874

jerryf128 wrote:

Hi all,

Currently, I have the X-T2 and the 2 xc lenses. I shoot mostly landscape, daylight , images, some low light. At 80 yrs. of age, I am unsteady, I don't use tripods, and just wondering if using the X-H1 under the conditions described, would be of any help. By shooting daylight shooting at higher shutter speeds, is there a benefit using IBIS or little to no gain?

Thanks

Absolutely! 1/4sec handheld moonlit shots with ease here. One of these is 1.3 sec, handheld. All with manual focus Meike 25mm f1.8 lens.

1.3 sec. handheld under full moon light. OK, it took me a few tries to get it this stable Just had to see how far I could go... Apparently 1.3 sec. is about as far as my nerves can go.

This one is only a quarter second.

This one is 1/30th, but I was looking straight up.

Mr Bolton's gear list:Mr Bolton's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +1 more
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,178

At fast shutter speeds, no need.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more
21William Contributing Member • Posts: 589

I’ve been using IBIS for fourteen years on my Pentax DSLR’s and now have it on my X-H1 and wouldn’t be without it.

21William's gear list:21William's gear list
Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
IWBF
IWBF Regular Member • Posts: 234

biza43 wrote:

Depends on the FL of course.

Besides: I used a vintage 200mm Tele on a Olympus mFT (400mm equivalent) and the IBIS was not only beneficial for aquisition but for manual focusing at magnified view as well.

uniball Senior Member • Posts: 2,445

73 here. Former collegiate marksman. I left Fuji for micro four thirds solely for IBIS. Do it. I was astonished at the immediate improvement in sharpness.

Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,927

Yes Sir.  Absolutely.  It helps everyone and allows for a whole different (and better)  set of EV combinations.

You don't have to be older with less steady hands to benefit from IBIS, but if you are, it helps immensely.

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +8 more
Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,927

biza43 wrote:

Depends on the situation and what you mean by faster.  I think you need 3x to take care of the average hand-holder shot (not 2).

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +8 more
MrSee
MrSee Senior Member • Posts: 1,729

The X-H1is a big help when it comes to shaky hands!!

-- hide signature --

Jim from Ontario Canada
Fuji X-H1
Fuji 18-55 2.8-4

MrSee's gear list:MrSee's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1
dscobie62
dscobie62 Regular Member • Posts: 168

jerryf128 wrote:

Thanks Marc, that is what I was hoping to hear. As I mentioned, most of the time I don't use a tripod. I see the X-S 10 has IBIS, but I like the EVF on the XTs.

Of course the, X-T4 also has IBIS if you prefer the XT's EVF.

-- hide signature --

www.dougscobiephotography.com

dscobie62's gear list:dscobie62's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GF 45mm F2.8
Coldpaw Regular Member • Posts: 192
It does!

While I am not of old age, I still have some health issues and suffering from shaky hands as well as short breathing, IBIS really helps. While you/we might not see see s images at low shutter speeds close to a second long, it's still a vast improvement nonetheless.

Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Forum Pro • Posts: 11,670

jerryf128 wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks

Hi Jerry,

It depends on the shutter speed and focal length.  However, under the conditions you describe it sure would not hurt and would most likely help.  Most likely in landscapes you are shooting stopped down for DOF hence at slower shutter speeds.  Well low light is low light.

Taking into account all the caveats - shutter speed and not IBIS is the only cure for subject motion - the XH1 would be a great choice for you.

-- hide signature --

_____
"The winds of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears," Arabic Proverb
__
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +12 more
AshleyMC Senior Member • Posts: 1,003

jerryf128 wrote:

By shooting daylight shooting at higher shutter speeds, is there a benefit using IBIS or little to no gain?

The general answer to your question, as stated above, is: no.

With sufficient light, and you use a shutter speed according to the rule of thumb of “at least 1 / (1.5 * focal length) seconds” - with 1.5 being Fujifilm APS-C crop factor - then you will be fine. For many years now, almost 100 years, many beautiful and memorable photographs have been created without IBIS and with proper techniques.

I’m sure you are able to handle the creative and technical balance among focal length, aperture, shutter speed and ISO amplification (sensitivity) level.

Long before the current Fujifilm IBIS excitement, I have managed to create sharp images in darkly lit venues (e.g. churches, museums), using Pentax and Panasonic cameras, at slow shutter speeds like 1/5 seconds, hand held.

There are many factors that cause camera shake, not just trembling hands. Oh, by the way, note that IBIS cannot help “stabilizing” any subject movements.

Good luck!

(PS. I am approaching 70 years.)

Thanks all for replying. I think I will be exchanging the T2 for the H1.

Craig from Nevada
Craig from Nevada Veteran Member • Posts: 8,585

It is another tool in the box. Yes, it helps in situations where hands might not be as steady as they once were, but it does more.

The X-H1 is not the best example of the capabilities of IBIS, although I have read that the X-T4  and S are streets ahead of that camera. I own the E-M1X and it produces very sharp images under low light conditions and longer focal lengths. It is a big advantage.

Craig from Nevada's gear list:Craig from Nevada's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-T1 +28 more
Marcos Villaroman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,299

jerryf128 wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks

The X-H1's IBIS is really awesome. At the time I bought it, the X-H1 had the best performing IBIS I ever used.  I can shoot one-handed and get great results; comes in really handy when you are shooting with one hand while holding an ice cream cone in the other.

As been commented, IBIS also helps steady the scene in the EVF prior to taking the shot which can also help with composition and focusing.

My issue with the X-H1 is that is a big/heavy camera.

For Fujifilm, I would consider the X-S1 or X-T4 over the X-H1 for lower weight.  I like the fact I was able to get an inexpensive acra-switch plate/finger grip from SmallRig for my X-T4.  That grip makes it even easier to get a good grip on the camera.

So like others have said, IBIS can definitely help. There really is no downside to IBIS these days.  I don't care about price: life is too short if IBIS can keep photography fun for a while longer.

My problem:  As you get older, eventually even APS-C gear in a camera bag will feel too heavy.  I can see going micro-four-thirds or give up and get a 1" sensor camera like the Sony RX10 or RX100 series. The last time I bought a RX100 camera (RV100 IV), I found its IBIS to not be good enough to damp out camera shake caused by unsteady hands; I'm guessing it is much better now. Certainly, the RX100 has an ideal weight and size.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +62 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads