The Power of Zoom: Basketball at 24mm...2000mm...4000mm and 8000mm

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 20,116
The Power of Zoom: Basketball at 24mm...2000mm...4000mm and 8000mm

Can you see it:

24mm. Can you see it? Look in center near edge of water.

2000mm.

That's the end of Optical Zoom for the P950.

Here's 2x digital zoom:

4000mm

Now at 8000mm( 4x Digital zoom) :

8000mm. Max optical zoom, plus digital zoom. Processed in FastStone Image Viewer before uploading here.

If any more zoom is needed (crazy) then one would have to crop.

One can also crop from 2000mm and get similar results , me thinks.

Nikon seems to deliver better than expected results when using digital zoom.

Hope someone found this interesting

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Booted Cat
Booted Cat Senior Member • Posts: 1,115
Re: The Power of Zoom: Basketball at 24mm...2000mm...4000mm and 8000mm

Get a P1000, if you really like the power of zoom...

I have a mnemonic for the P1000: "peek 1000 miles" (I mentioned on this forum that there is a figure in Chinese mythology called "千里眼" - one who has the eyes to see 1000 miles far).

ANAYV wrote:

Can you see it:

2000mm.

Here's 2x digital zoom:

4000mm

8000mm. Max optical zoom, plus digital zoom. Processed in FastStone Image Viewer before uploading here.

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Booted Cat's gear list:Booted Cat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon PowerShot SX740 HS Nikon Coolpix A1000
Avian2016 Senior Member • Posts: 5,800

Hey, look at that. Has it been done using the tri/mono/pod? Or you have the unique ability to have kinda "stone-firm hands"?

But even if you've used tri/mono/pod, this is really awesome. Or there is some "trick" behind we other folks don't know yet??

Stay healthy ANAYV.

KJaay Veteran Member • Posts: 8,160

Yes a powerful zoom for sure, nice work!

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +1 more
OP ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 20,116

Booted Cat wrote:

Get a P1000, if you really like the power of zoom...

Considered it....but too big .

I bring both my P950 and D7500 with two lenses.

All fit nicely in one camera bag.

P1000 would need its own bag, lol.

I am pretty sure if I bought the P1000 instead of the P950...that thr P1000 would stay home much more often than coming out.

Also I doubt I would be able to handhold the P1000 for shots like these.

VR is better on P950 (Nikons claim) and easier to hold, IMHO.

For me, anyway.

I have a mnemonic for the P1000: "peek 1000 miles" (I mentioned on this forum that there is a figure in Chinese mythology called "千里眼" - one who has the eyes to see 1000 miles far).

Interesting. For sure the P1000 is king of the superzooms.

I do these examples to show the decent digital zoom I.Q.

Most always shooting RAW and 2000mm is plenty ( most times )

Stay healthy

ANAYV

ANAYV wrote:

Can you see it:

2000mm.

Here's 2x digital zoom:

4000mm

Stay healthy

ANAYV

OutsideTheMatrix
OutsideTheMatrix Senior Member • Posts: 7,426

Yes this is exactly why you dont need RAW, especially at ISO 100!

-- hide signature --

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961

OutsideTheMatrix's gear list:OutsideTheMatrix's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm FinePix S9900W Nikon Coolpix P900 +9 more

Avian2016 wrote:

Hey, look at that. Has it been done using the tri/mono/pod?

No Tripod or Monopod used.

I really dislike lugging anything more than my camera's/lenses (in one bag) around.

Or you have the unique ability to have kinda "stone-firm hands"?

Haha. Not really. I use my hands all day as a Machinist, so perhaps a bit more control/steadyness than the average person?

But even if you've used tri/mono/pod, this is really awesome.

Super impressive for digital zoom, me thinks. Better than i.zoom , as I see little to no artifacts. Koodos to Nikon.

Or there is some "trick" behind we other folks don't know yet??

Before I share a camera holding tip  (look for new thread where this will be  included in my ' P950 Tips and Tricks'  thread) , due note that the 4000mm and 8000mm shots were at 1/500th.

When I try  digital zoom shooting the Moon, I get many blurred shots and a few keepers

Those are no faster than around 1/160th

Stay healthy ANAYV.

Same to you and family Avian

ANAYV

jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,681

Hi ANAYV,

You've been taking incredible pictures with your P950!

Yes, the P950 camera's digital zoom is simply amazing.

Thanks for all of your sharings & happy snapping.

Stay safe & healthy.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
(Feel free to download my pictures)
*** Trash-talker won't rule us! ***

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Nikon Coolpix B700 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Canon PowerShot SX70

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

Well, no one Needs to shoot RAW, do they.

But, if one wants the most details out of the P950 lens, then even at ISO 100 , more details are obtainable in RAW than shooting jpeg and the NR smearing that can happen.

Plenty folk will not spend any time post processing and are fine with SOOC images.

Others (less folk, I suppose) will venture out and get more out of the images taken.

They can shoot  jpegs, they can set different in camera settings for them ...or edit them after in free software like FastStone Image Viewer. Or get into adjustment layers, masks, etc (I do not) and use LightRoom, Photoshop or other similar software.

Some might want best possible I.Q. and have better camera's, but not with a reach the P950 does. So getting best I.Q. is more desired to these folk.

There, the option for RAW come in.

I assure you of this, I can achieve best possible I.Q. from my P950 shooting RAW and using DXO PhotoLabs with Deep PRIME NR, than I can shooting jpegs.

Hey a shot of a house, scenic shots, vacation shots, street type shots all can be fine without RAW

Start shooing wildlife and looking for feather details in birds and you might like the results RAW gives. Or lower EV to -2 and under expose a bit and then you want to lift shadows to reveal details, RAW is the better choice, IMHO.

Myself, I want to see every detail the lens/sensor captured...get my monies worth

Leave the lens /sensor to Nikon and leave the processing to us.

Thank you Nikon for adding RAW to the P series!

Stay healthy

ANAYV

OutsideTheMatrix

ANAYV wrote:

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

But, if one wants the most details out of the P950 lens, then even at ISO 100 , more details are obtainable in RAW than shooting jpeg and the NR smearing that can happen.

Plenty folk will not spend any time post processing and are fine with SOOC images.

Others (less folk, I suppose) will venture out and get more out of the images taken.

They can shoot jpegs, they can set different in camera settings for them ...or edit them after in free software like FastStone Image Viewer. Or get into adjustment layers, masks, etc (I do not) and use LightRoom, Photoshop or other similar software.

Some might want best possible I.Q. and have better camera's, but not with a reach the P950 does. So getting best I.Q. is more desired to these folk.

I assure you of this, I can achieve best possible I.Q. from my P950 shooting RAW and using DXO PhotoLabs with Deep PRIME NR, than I can shooting jpegs.

Hey a shot of a house, scenic shots, vacation shots, street type shots all can be fine without RAW

Start shooing wildlife and looking for feather details in birds and you might like the results RAW gives. Or lower EV to -2 and under expose a bit and then you want to lift shadows to reveal details, RAW is the better choice, IMHO.

Myself, I want to see every detail the lens/sensor captured...get my monies worth

Stay healthy

ANAYV

The interesting conundrum happens when you want to use the excellent digital zoom you have to turn off RAW.  I wonder if it is possible to obtain the same level of detail you get from digital zoom from blowing up a RAW file or does Nikon use some sort of advanced artificial intelligence we dont know about and cant simulate.

-- hide signature --

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.

Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm FinePix S9900W Nikon Coolpix P900 +9 more
jshen808

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

They can shoot jpegs, they can set different in camera settings for them ...or edit them after in free software like FastStone Image Viewer. Or get into adjustment layers, masks, etc (I do not) and use LightRoom, Photoshop or other similar software.

Stay healthy

ANAYV

The interesting conundrum happens when you want to use the excellent digital zoom you have to turn off RAW. I wonder if it is possible to obtain the same level of detail you get from digital zoom from blowing up a RAW file or does Nikon use some sort of advanced artificial intelligence we dont know about and cant simulate.

The asnwer should be "yes".

But the real question is "how".

"Digital zoom" is software manipulation.

"Raw" is the actual image free from manipulation,

that's why it ends with the optical zoom, in this case 2000mm.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John

OutsideTheMatrix

jshen808 wrote:

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

Stay healthy

ANAYV

The interesting conundrum happens when you want to use the excellent digital zoom you have to turn off RAW. I wonder if it is possible to obtain the same level of detail you get from digital zoom from blowing up a RAW file or does Nikon use some sort of advanced artificial intelligence we dont know about and cant simulate.

Cheers!

But it should be possible together, that is have a RAW image and then also produce a JPG using digital zoom as part of the same package, but we have to change the settings to do it rather than being able to do both with one shutter button press.

-- hide signature --

jshen808

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Cheers!

But it should be possible together, that is have a RAW image and then also produce a JPG using digital zoom as part of the same package, but we have to change the settings to do it rather than being able to do both with one shutter button press.

"Yes" anything is possible,

as long that you are in charge of manufacturing.

It could be possible where the picture at 4000mm is captured in jpg,

and then, at the same time the same picture is captured at 2000mm in raw.

And better yet,

if raw + jpg is selected in taking pictures,

that raw + jpg is taken up to 2000mm,

then beyond that, from 2001 to 6000mm,

the pictures will be captured using only jpg.

So we can be wishful,

but again, we are not in control,

of the manufacturing of this camera.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John

I support words by ANAYV.

I mostly shoot RAW with P950. Using the Capture NX-D, Affinity and/or Lightroom, I can squeeze some extra detail out of my shots. Currently I'm experimenting also with Topaz AI Clear/Denoise software.

One would say that this is/can be a very time consuming job but it ain't. Of course, some practice is needed but later, the whole process runs swiftly.

jshen808

Avian2016 wrote:

I support word by ANAYV.

I mostly shoot RAW with P950. Using the Capture NX-D, Affinity and/or Lightroom, I can squeeze some extra detail out of my shots. Currently I'm experimenting also with Topaz AI Clear/Denoise software.

One would say that this is/can be a very time consuming job but it ain't. Of course, some practice is needed but later, the whole process runs swiftly.

Softwares for the P950 & P1000 have come a long ways these past few years!

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John

OutsideTheMatrix

jshen808 wrote:

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Cheers!

And better yet,

So we can be wishful,

Cheers!

oh thats an amazing idea I would love that.

The only reason to have R+J do digital zoom in the J part is to test to see if PP can show more detail in the RAW file rather than the digitally zoomed JPG.

-- hide signature --

OutsideTheMatrix

Avian2016 wrote:

I support words by ANAYV.

My question though is do you have to use individual settings for each file you process or can you batch process them all together with the same universal settings for each picture?

I hate working on individual images when I sometimes take thousands in the same day and would rather automate the whole process and let the computer do them all together.

-- hide signature --

jshen808

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Cheers!

And better yet,

So we can be wishful,

Cheers!

oh thats an amazing idea I would love that.

The only reason to have R+J do digital zoom in the J part is to test to see if PP can show more detail in the RAW file rather than the digitally zoomed JPG.

Wish I could be Captain Jean-Luc Picard and say, "Make it so".

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John

Yes, I do Batch processing (Raw to Jpeg) by using the Capture NX-D. Prior to that I usually do my first selection of Raw files in ViewNX-i. Jpegs are then further tweaked by Affinity and Lightroom.

You'd bet they did.

Cheers!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads