Nikon and their binoculars.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 7,443
Re: UK?

FrancoD wrote:

Klaus dk wrote:

If this is a problem specific to the UK, could it be connected to brexit? Canon Europe B.V. might be hesitant to deliver to GB.

Very rarely Canon Europe has Nikon binoculars in stock.

Damn! I did mean Nikon. Thanks for spoiling my day

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +15 more
User4286416121 Contributing Member • Posts: 700
Re: Nikon and their binoculars.

Birding in the uk may be significantly more appealing than here.

I always use superzooms as binos but a really good pair of top-notch optics is something else.

Lensmate
Lensmate Veteran Member • Posts: 5,092
Re: In the navy.....

Guy Parsons wrote:

BrownieVet wrote:

..... Nikon Optical was founded sometime in 1908, had been supplying Binocular to the Japanese Imperial Navy and was the original lens supplier to Kwanon (Canon) until 1948.

In the navy vein, I also saw in the submarine museum at Kure (out from Hiroshima) that Nikon supplied periscopes for WW2 and later submarines of the Japanese navy.

A post WW2 periscope.....

A closer look at its label.....

Made in 1984 no less.

This video came to mind regarding Nikon:

Mayday we are sinking - What are you thinking about ? - YouTube

-Martin P

Lensmate's gear list:Lensmate's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VII Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A55 +11 more
Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 11,141

User4286416121 wrote:

Birding in the uk may be significantly more appealing than here.

Depends on where your "here" is. In Florida, which is where I am, it's quite good.

I always use superzooms as binos but a really good pair of top-notch optics is something else.

Cheers,
Doug

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,275

Yes, location, location, location...

Where I am now, within walking distance,  over 170 types of birds have been spotted. I don't keep records but I probably have photos of at least 70 so I still walk about looking for something new. Across the bay were I was before I would have been happy to see 50 or so (much more built up area)

Klaus dk wrote:

FrancoD wrote:

Klaus dk wrote:

If this is a problem specific to the UK, could it be connected to brexit? Canon Europe B.V. might be hesitant to deliver to GB.

Spoiling your day ?

It MADE my week.

Gerry Siegel
Gerry Siegel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,173
Re: Nikon, a legendary optics supplier

In addition to the early Canons, Nikon once upon a time supplied most of the Bronica MF model lenses in medium format size.

Nikon also has a place in microscopy and other medical and technical applications.

No, I would not see a demise of this old and well established brand. Who knows, maybe they work on astronomic applications for space craft..?  Or optics for orbiting spy sattelites, (we do not know we do not need to know...)  And there is a growing Japan SDForce needing optics as well.

I owned one of their well made field microscopes for a while. Nikon will always be around. All companies relying on manufacture must re adjust to the times. Often that means finding another labor source country.

Or licensing. Pentax is still afloat. by alliances, last I saw. Of course bad news gets more play than good news. Good news is that we still have some awesome choices in both cameras and phones and binoculars and telescopes.

Gerry Siegel's gear list:Gerry Siegel's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +4 more
Leica Eye
Leica Eye Veteran Member • Posts: 3,007

C Sean wrote:

This isn't strictly related to photography but it may highlight bigger problems Nikon are facing.

I owned a few pairs of Nikon binoculars. The first pair I really liked but eventually gave them away to a friend who was into birds. It was an ex display model so they weren't expensive but sadly they weren't waterproof or weather resistance either. The problem was I stopped traveling and didn't need them anymore.

When I went traveling again, I got myself another pair but this time Nikon Prostaff 7 8x42. They were weather sealed but I prefer looking through my originals. I also found them not having enough reach for distance viewing on safari.

So I decided to get myself a pair of Nikon Monarch 10x42 and to my surprise most places are sold out of Nikon binoculars. My assumption was Nikon is either no longer shipping their binoculars to my country (UK) or a lot of people taken up bird watching due to Covid-19 like me.

We don't know what happened in China when the outbreak of Coronavirus first started but large sections of the country went into lockdown. So production in China had a huge knock on affect. However, recently Nikon stopped producing rifle scopes and I found it odd the availability of Nikon binoculars in the UK is worse than say in the US.

If I had to make a guess, Nikon is scaling back production but it would be nice instead a lot of people in the UK are buying Nikon binoculars.

After many years of jumping between various manufacturers, I went for a set of Leica's..  Night & Day over all the others.. great investment.. Leica can service if required - Mine are now 40years old, still crystal clear.....  L

-- hide signature --

Trying Harder Than Ever ..

Leica Eye's gear list:Leica Eye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 90D +5 more

Leica Eye wrote:

C Sean wrote:

This isn't strictly related to photography but it may highlight bigger problems Nikon are facing.

I owned a few pairs of Nikon binoculars. The first pair I really liked but eventually gave them away to a friend who was into birds. It was an ex display model so they weren't expensive but sadly they weren't waterproof or weather resistance either. The problem was I stopped traveling and didn't need them anymore.

When I went traveling again, I got myself another pair but this time Nikon Prostaff 7 8x42. They were weather sealed but I prefer looking through my originals. I also found them not having enough reach for distance viewing on safari.

So I decided to get myself a pair of Nikon Monarch 10x42 and to my surprise most places are sold out of Nikon binoculars. My assumption was Nikon is either no longer shipping their binoculars to my country (UK) or a lot of people taken up bird watching due to Covid-19 like me.

We don't know what happened in China when the outbreak of Coronavirus first started but large sections of the country went into lockdown. So production in China had a huge knock on affect. However, recently Nikon stopped producing rifle scopes and I found it odd the availability of Nikon binoculars in the UK is worse than say in the US.

If I had to make a guess, Nikon is scaling back production but it would be nice instead a lot of people in the UK are buying Nikon binoculars.

After many years of jumping between various manufacturers, I went for a set of Leica's.. Night & Day over all the others.. great investment.. Leica can service if required - Mine are now 40years old, still crystal clear..... L

No doubt about Leica bino quality ( I have had three of those and still have one ) but even Leica now has some of their binos made in the same Japanese  factory that makes a LOT of the top brands, including many of the Nikon binoculars.

(a clue for some :JB133)

FrancoD wrote:

Where I am now, within walking distance, over 170 types of birds have been spotted. I don't keep records but I probably have photos of at least 70 so I still walk about looking for something new. Across the bay were I was before I would have been happy to see 50 or so (much more built up area)

Sounds very nice. We're in the winter migration season, birds escaping the cold North. Sometimes there are flocks of Roseate Spoonbills, shorebirds and others gracing the sky and landscape. Fortunately, Florida is very environmentally conscious, with lots of clean water, trees, open space, and clean seashores.

Cheers,
Doug

The best area around here is about 20 minutes away by car. It's a huge water treatment plant . We have the keys to it but can't visit right now , should re-open to us soon.

However a few hundred metres from our doorstep (estuary area) migratory birds come and go as well as having a good range of the local too.

This is the part of the water treatment plant we have access to, except for the bits at the top right  :

about 8 km corner to corner.

The best part is around the first third on the left where the water is already clean.

FrancoD wrote:

The best area around here is about 20 minutes away by car. It's a huge water treatment plant . We have the keys to it but can't visit right now , should re-open to us soon.

However a few hundred metres from our doorstep (estuary area) migratory birds come and go as well as having a good range of the local too.

This is the part of the water treatment plant we have access to, except for the bits at the top right :

The best part is around the first third on the left where the water is already clean.

Looks like a great place for birding. How did you manage to get keys to the facility?

Cheers,
Doug

About 280 species have been spottet there.

My best, as far as hard to get bird, was a pair of brolgas, a type of under threat stork.

here is one :

Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 7,443

FrancoD wrote:

Klaus dk wrote:

FrancoD wrote:

Klaus dk wrote:

Spoiling your day ?

It MADE my week.

At least it was good for something. Have a nice one.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +15 more
User4286416121 Contributing Member • Posts: 700

Really nice grab. Only cranes we get are the sandhill cranes. Got a few longshot pics of them migrating overhead. They were on their way to Jasper-Pulaski in Indiana.

Florida is awesome for flying birds.

English birds....

Doug J wrote:

FrancoD wrote:

This is the part of the water treatment plant we have access to, except for the bits at the top right :

Looks like a great place for birding. How did you manage to get keys to the facility?

Cheers,
Doug

You need to apply for it, pass a test, attend a safety talk and you get the key. It's all done to keep the numbers down and possible trouble makers away. Right now membership is closed. It's never crowded , 3 or 4 cars max at a time.

R Liewenberger Senior Member • Posts: 1,162

FrancoD wrote:

Where I am now, within walking distance, over 170 types of birds have been spotted. I don't keep records but I probably have photos of at least 70 so I still walk about looking for something new. Across the bay were I was before I would have been happy to see 50 or so (much more built up area)

But in that much more built up area you might have a chance now and then to shoot some of the more rare 'curbstone swallows' (German term: Bordsteinschwalben)! I think In English it is something about cats and alleys. 

Liewenberger

We have flying rats too ( pigeons and seagulls) .

R Liewenberger Senior Member • Posts: 1,162

FrancoD wrote:

We have flying rats too ( pigeons and seagulls) .

Dito in Germany, "Ratten der Lüfte". Probably not so much about seagulls, but mainly about pigeons and crows.

Liewenberger

We do get several types in our backyard too . Ravens, doves, creasted pigeons, blackbirds, New Holland Honeyeaters, White Plumed Honeyeaters, Wattlebirds, Silvereye, minahs , sparrows and occasionaly cockatoos and galahs. One that has come to visit of late is a young Pied Currawong that taps on my window and then waits for me to go out and say hello. Possibly it was born on one of those trees at the back because it seems to know me.

(we don't feed them...)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads