Nikon and their binoculars.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
C Sean Senior Member • Posts: 2,843
Nikon and their binoculars.

This isn't strictly related to photography but it may highlight bigger problems Nikon are facing.

I owned a few pairs of Nikon binoculars. The first pair I really liked but eventually gave them away to a friend who was into birds. It was an ex display model so they weren't expensive but sadly they weren't waterproof or weather resistance either. The problem was I stopped traveling and didn't need them anymore.

When I went traveling again, I got myself another pair but this time Nikon Prostaff 7 8x42. They were weather sealed but I prefer looking through my originals. I also found them not having enough reach for distance viewing on safari.

So I decided to get myself a pair of Nikon Monarch 10x42 and to my surprise most places are sold out of Nikon binoculars. My assumption was Nikon is either no longer shipping their binoculars to my country (UK) or a lot of people taken up bird watching due to Covid-19 like me.

We don't know what happened in China when the outbreak of Coronavirus first started but large sections of the country went into lockdown. So production in China had a huge knock on affect. However, recently Nikon stopped producing rifle scopes and I found it odd the availability of Nikon binoculars in the UK is worse than say in the US.

If I had to make a guess, Nikon is scaling back production but it would be nice instead a lot of people in the UK are buying Nikon binoculars.

cutterpup
cutterpup Senior Member • Posts: 1,244
Re: Nikon and their binoculars.

I just did a quick search, personal interest I own 2 pair of Nikon bins and a Nikon spotting scope.  Plenty are showing up in the USA.  Hope they stay in the game.  They make a good range of mid-level optics.

cutterpup's gear list:cutterpup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K-5 Nikon D7200 Nikon D3400 +12 more
OP C Sean Senior Member • Posts: 2,843

Here in the UK, both Wex and Jessops are in short supply with many Nikon binoculars being out of stock. However, I had a quick look at Park Cameras and roughly half of the Nikon binoculars are still in stock but some are on the brink of selling out.

It quite possibly more people are doing nature walks due to the Coronavirus and why there is a greater demand for Nikon binoculars. I got my pair from John Lewis and quite a few people were looking at the same pair I decided to get.

mu7z Junior Member • Posts: 40

I had no problems finding Nikon binoculars, which are of remarkable quality per value. You'll enjoy the Monarch bins. I personally use the Monarch HG 8x30 and love them.

Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 11,083

Might be a local UK supply issue as multiple resellers in the US list it as in stock. Maybe more UK folks taking up birding recently

Cheers,
Doug

Lensmate
Lensmate Veteran Member • Posts: 4,888

C Sean wrote:

This isn't strictly related to photography but it may highlight bigger problems Nikon are facing.

I owned a few pairs of Nikon binoculars. The first pair I really liked but eventually gave them away to a friend who was into birds. It was an ex display model so they weren't expensive but sadly they weren't waterproof or weather resistance either. The problem was I stopped traveling and didn't need them anymore.

When I went traveling again, I got myself another pair but this time Nikon Prostaff 7 8x42. They were weather sealed but I prefer looking through my originals. I also found them not having enough reach for distance viewing on safari.

So I decided to get myself a pair of Nikon Monarch 10x42 and to my surprise most places are sold out of Nikon binoculars. My assumption was Nikon is either no longer shipping their binoculars to my country (UK) or a lot of people taken up bird watching due to Covid-19 like me.

We don't know what happened in China when the outbreak of Coronavirus first started but large sections of the country went into lockdown. So production in China had a huge knock on affect. However, recently Nikon stopped producing rifle scopes and I found it odd the availability of Nikon binoculars in the UK is worse than say in the US.

If I had to make a guess, Nikon is scaling back production but it would be nice instead a lot of people in the UK are buying Nikon binoculars.

Have you ever tried IS binoculars? You will be hooked if you use them...[read others comments in the link]

Canon 10x42 L IS WP Image Stabilized Binoculars 0155B002 B&H (bhphotovideo.com)

-Martin P

Lensmate's gear list:Lensmate's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VII Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony a99 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +11 more
xtam667 Regular Member • Posts: 102

Lensmate wrote:

C Sean wrote:

Have you ever tried IS binoculars? You will be hooked if you use them...[read others comments in the link]

Canon 10x42 L IS WP Image Stabilized Binoculars 0155B002 B&H (bhphotovideo.com)

-Martin P

+1 for the Canon 10x42L. It is heavy but the optics are surprisingly good and the IS is very useful for longer observations. For quick bird ID there are better options. Since I am more into observing bird behaviour than ticking off species lists, 90% of the time I take the Canon and the optically slightly better Swarowski 8x32 stays home. I only take the Swarowski when weight is a serious concern.

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,007

The problem could be with the manufacturer that makes the Nikon binoculars. If so there will be a shortage of several other brands , depending on stock on hand.

richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,310
Nikon - a first rate company

I am glad you were able to get a pair!

I photograph a lot out in our natural world, and have always (30+ years) carried a Nikon compact 8x25 in the belt pack that came with it. It is just 5" tall.

I don't remember the name of my first pair, but one day I noticed that one of the front elements had dropped out.

I wrote to Nikon asking if they could replace that element. They responded that the binoculars in question were no longer being made, but that they would replace it with a similar current model, since it had a lifetime warranty.

A few days later, I received a Sportstar 8x25. I was quite impressed! It has been with me now for many years.

- Richard

richj20's gear list:richj20's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Sony a7R II
HRC2016 Senior Member • Posts: 6,094
Not an issue in the US

i picked up a pair two weeks ago in the US.

No problems here.

-- hide signature --

Satan loves the shadows - and the highlights.

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C +2 more
Mika Y.
Mika Y. Senior Member • Posts: 1,579

C Sean wrote:

Just checked the availability of the 10x42 in Finland from three stores; since there are a couple of different Monarch 10x42's, I went for the Monarch 7 10x42.

Out of three stores, one of them lists those being in stock, the other two give a delivery esimate of about 11-15 days. Cheaper models seem to be quite abundantly in stock though.

Mika Y.'s gear list:Mika Y.'s gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +14 more
Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 7,274
UK?

If this is a problem specific to the UK, could it be connected to brexit? Canon Europe B.V. might be hesitant to deliver to GB.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS R Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +15 more
TeddyD Senior Member • Posts: 1,081
Re: UK?

Klaus dk wrote:

If this is a problem specific to the UK, could it be connected to brexit? Canon Europe B.V. might be hesitant to deliver to GB.

Might be, UK has a lot bilateral trade treaties to make now when they are out of the EU trade pool..

TeddyD's gear list:TeddyD's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony a6300 Sony a7R Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +16 more
PerTulip Senior Member • Posts: 1,296

C Sean wrote:

.....My assumption was Nikon is either no longer shipping their binoculars to my country (UK) or a lot of people taken up bird watching due to Covid-19 like me....

Available (in stock) at dozens of retailers in continental Europe.

Brexit?

PerTulip's gear list:PerTulip's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
OP C Sean Senior Member • Posts: 2,843

PerTulip wrote:

C Sean wrote:

.....My assumption was Nikon is either no longer shipping their binoculars to my country (UK) or a lot of people taken up bird watching due to Covid-19 like me....

Available (in stock) at dozens of retailers in continental Europe.

Brexit?

Well that's good news....

I post this here since it's related to Brexit.

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,007
Re: UK?

Klaus dk wrote:

Very rarely Canon Europe has Nikon binoculars in stock.

Gerry Siegel
Gerry Siegel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,125

cutterpup wrote:

I just did a quick search, personal interest I own 2 pair of Nikon bins and a Nikon spotting scope. Plenty are showing up in the USA. Hope they stay in the game. They make a good range of mid-level optics.

I enjoy the porro prism 10 by 50 Nikon Action Extreme pair. Weather resistant, crisp lenses, not light weight but good value.. For travel I invested in a roof prism medium price pair by Pentax.
My Pentax light weight waterproof 10X 50 model cost about US 450 but it has great visual quality...one can really spend way more as you know,  if you want ED glass and such, no, no,  you need not reach that investment level for most uses.

A good set is an augment to your eyes and so I say do not cheap out, they do of course last a lifetime - or way more.  Even old Zeiss style models are still kicking around. Mariners are hot on Fujinons and that is another great name.

So I think you will find a variety of good optics for birding or sight seeing and for bikini watching when the virus lets us all back to the beach...I jest

....but a good pair of binoculars is great also for back yard astronomy. I just read about a conjunction of Jupiter and Venus...rare, really rare cosmic event... And yep, winter skies are great astro watching via binos. You will find some keep looking. aloha, gs

PS. In regards to supply in your country, I can only add that both B and H and Adorama typically stock a wide variety at decent prices and both outfits are equipped to take orders from well just about anywhere on the planet. And from manned orbiting sattelites too I am guessing

Gerry Siegel's gear list:Gerry Siegel's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +4 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 35,770
OT - other binoculars

Just while we talk about it, some time back I bought some interesting binocs, the Pentax Papilio ones, that while not the thing for birds are great for creepy crawlies and things up close as they are stereo macro closeup type. Have some fun safe from those bitey ants while getting a good look at them.

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
BrownieVet Senior Member • Posts: 3,389
Nikon no longer sold at COSTCO

My apology for attempted hijacking of the forum.
I have been using Nikon camera & lenses since 1962.  The apparent financial problems of Nikon Camera Company is not going to scare me away from Nikon.  If Nikon folded,  I know my Nikon cameras and lenses will continue to work and would more than likely outlived me.
========
Looks like Nikon Kogaku KK will not last 100 years?
The following is my recollection of the history of Nikon I read in 1960.
Nikon Optical was founded sometime in 1908,  had been supplying Binocular to the Japanese Imperial Navy and was the original lens supplier to Kwanon (Canon) until 1948.  In 1948,  Nikon enter the camera manufacturing business. Their initial camera was a 35mm rangefinder which was practically a knock-off of Leica. 
In the early 1950s,  Nikon offered FREE camera service / repair to News Photographers covering the Korean war,  in the process, provided Nikon camera loaners.  The photo-journalist was impressed by the performance, reliability and handling of Nikon that they bought Nikon for their personal camera.
COSTCO's dropping off Nikon from their offering maybe an indicator of Nikon's financial problems.

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 35,770
In the navy.....

BrownieVet wrote:

..... Nikon Optical was founded sometime in 1908, had been supplying Binocular to the Japanese Imperial Navy and was the original lens supplier to Kwanon (Canon) until 1948.

In the navy vein, I also saw in the submarine museum at Kure (out from Hiroshima) that Nikon supplied periscopes for WW2 and later submarines of the Japanese navy.

A post WW2 periscope.....

A closer look at its label.....

Made in 1984 no less.

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads