Tamron 28 - 200

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Hamzahh Junior Member • Posts: 28
Tamron 28 - 200

If it does not have image stabilization, is it still good? Anyone tried?

BrentSchumer
BrentSchumer Senior Member • Posts: 3,299
Re: Tamron 28 - 200

Hamzahh wrote:

I rented it for a weekend and really liked it: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4529981

I'm used to 2X-200mm superzooms from my RX100 and APSC, but this is on a whole new level of quality and brightness. Brighter and sharper than the Canon RF and Nikon Z superzooms but quite reasonable in price. This lens is a lot sharper than you would expect from a $700 superzoom.

I do wish that there was a version with stabilization but found that the lens did pretty well with the A7RIII's IBIS.

BrentSchumer's gear list:BrentSchumer's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Tamron 20mm F2.8 Di III OSD
theoverratedphotog
theoverratedphotog Senior Member • Posts: 1,070

I tested it for about 3 weeks and ended up buying one. Its a really nice travel lens. Super sharp.

If you have IBIS in sensor you're only losing 1-1.5 stops

theoverratedphotog's gear list:theoverratedphotog's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +11 more
Jeff2013
Jeff2013 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,028

I have found this lens to be outstanding.

IBIS works best with shorter focal lengths, so it will likely have more effect at 28mm and the least effect at 200mm (right where you need it the most). I can shoot the stabilized GM 70-200mm at 200mm with some really slow shutter speeds, that will not work with the unstabilized 28-200. Just keep your shutter speed (or ISO) up.

-- hide signature --
 Jeff2013's gear list:Jeff2013's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +11 more
ukbassman Regular Member • Posts: 194

Hamzahh wrote:

I hate to be the guy that now does this, but there's a load of multi-page threads on this lens on this forum already. Maybe try to search them out and read them?!

ukbassman's gear list:ukbassman's gear list
Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +2 more
henryk1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,067

Yes, there are 28-200 threads already, and it would be helpful to look them up. That said, I shall respond to this latest thread, because it interests me as doubtless it will interest many others,

I've had a 28-200 for a month now, and it lives on my A7RIII. I also have a Tamron 24 2.8, a Sony 50 1.8  and a Sigma 100-400 DG DN. All three are terrific lenses.

For me the 28-200 is the most useful in the largest number of situations, as one would expect from its zoom range.

I've found it scary sharp across the image at f8 at all focal lengths.

The in-body stabilization works very well.

What's not to like? It's a bit heavy for an 80-year-old geezer (but not overly so). It focuses fast, but not as fast as the native Sony lenses. Its manufacturer name draws sneers from those who use only A9s and Sony G lenses. Not that I give a damn.

Four months ago I switched from Pentax and have not regretted it one bit. I still use the Pentax equipment, but only when going into adverse conditions (dust, moisture, potential of falling, etc.).

BruceRH Senior Member • Posts: 2,677

Hamzahh wrote:

It is very good. I sold my 24-105 which does have IS because the 28-200 has a range that I really like (I do wish it started at 24 though), and I did not find that the IS in the 24-105 was that much better than the A7Riv IBIS + 28-200. As others have said, just bump your shutter speed a bit more. Size, weight, speed and image quality make the Tamron an excellent all purpose lens.

BruceRH's gear list:BruceRH's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital II Sony RX100 III Olympus TG-6 Olympus PEN-F Sony a7R IV +33 more
carolya Regular Member • Posts: 130

I too really like this lens and find it sharp and easy to carry.

Dan_168 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,673

Hamzahh wrote:

I am not a owner of this lens but I have used this lens on two photo  trips when traveled with photo buddies, and at the end, I decided to pass, not because it's not good enough optically, in fact, it's very good for a $750 all in one travel lens, however, i found it really missing the wide end, at least in my own case I found I need/want the 24mm end a lot more often than the 200mm end, so I ended up keep on swapping between this and the 24GM, kind of defeating the purpose of a one-fits-all of this lens, so in general speaking, regardless of the quality, I don't care for any zoom lens start with 28mm. the 24-105 kind of zoom is more useful in my opinion, but I never like the Sony 24-105 so I am  still a prime user.

lattesweden
lattesweden Veteran Member • Posts: 3,877

Dan_168 wrote:

but I never like the Sony 24-105 so I am still a prime user.

May I ask why you don't like the 24-105?

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
----------------------------------------------------
Mirrorless, mirrorless on the wall, say which is the best camera of them all?
Some images:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64169208
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64221482

dan_darkroom Regular Member • Posts: 451

henryk1 wrote:

The in-body stabilization works very well.

No such function. Not that I mind, it's my everyday-lens.

On my obsolete list now:

SEL2870 (although good image and almost weightless)

Canon FD 80-200L (sharp, heavy monster, plus adapter quite long)

dan_darkroom's gear list:dan_darkroom's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony a7R II Sigma sd Quattro Venus Laowa 15mm F4 Macro Venus Laowa 60mm F2.8 Macro +2 more
Don Karner Senior Member • Posts: 1,688
Re: Bought this lens last week and

I haven't taken it off my A7Rii yet.  I find it surprisingly sharp and can comfortably shoot at 1/50th at the 200 mm setting (if I'm careful).  I really like it, and I've always thought I was a prime lens kind of guy.

-- hide signature --

Ol' Don in Broken Arrow

Don Karner's gear list:Don Karner's gear list
Canon EOS M Nikon D5300 Sony a7R II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +14 more
OP Hamzahh Junior Member • Posts: 28
Re: Bought this lens last week and

Okay thanks y'all. I have purchased it.

henryk1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,067

No in-body stabilization? What camera are you using?

Ziutek-Auto-Photos Forum Member • Posts: 65

Hamzahh wrote:

Hi.

I don't know this Tamron, I have got Tamron 70-210 F4 ( Have a look here ) and it has image stabilization, constant aperture F4 and internal focusing. So this might interrest you.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ziutek (automotive photography)
Sony A7M2 / Sigma MC-11 / Samyang 45 1.8 / soon: Sigma lenses

Ziutek-Auto-Photos's gear list:Ziutek-Auto-Photos's gear list
Sony a7 II +1 more
D4vith Forum Member • Posts: 78

I have been using it for about 4 months and I find to be an outstanding lens.

IQ looks to be more than decent, although I’ve never been a pixel peeper and I can never tell which lens is sharper than the other.

There is a bit of chromatic aberration but I don’t really mind.

I still have the Tamron 28-75 for indoor event but otherwise I pick the 28-200 by default.

I’ve never been bothered by the 28mm focal length, although I do plan to pair it with the 17-28mm when travel is allowed again. I also have a tiny 35mm f/1.8 so I have most situations covered for when I’m travelling.

I had plans to get the 70-180 but I’ve changed my mind. Not having to change lens is more convenient when traveling, and the size would have meant I would not have carried it at all times since I’d also have to bring my 28-75.

Also I do like that the aperture remains at f/4 up until around 65mm if I remember correctly. Many zoom lens tend to stop down as soon as you increase the focal length.

Despiser Regular Member • Posts: 280

If you are looking for a good walkaround lens with decent range and macro with good iq across the range that's not too heavy or expensive you'll love it. OSS would be nice but it's quite usable at 200mm with a boost to SS and some care in steadying the camera

Despiser's gear list:Despiser's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6
Deniz Turkmen Junior Member • Posts: 43

Hamzahh wrote:

It's the first lens I bought right after my A7RII purchase.

Beside some distortion that can be fixed in post processing, I do not really have anything negative to say. If you have IBIS, I think that's sufficient in my opinion. I even had a handheld shot for 1/8 seconds that was fine.

Zoomed to 200mm, cropped.

When taken straight from front, these lines look distorted.

-- hide signature --

Shoot first, ask questions later.

Deniz Turkmen's gear list:Deniz Turkmen's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D5500 Sony a7R II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Sony 28mm F2.8 +3 more
OP Hamzahh Junior Member • Posts: 28
Nice lens

Nice lens

Photographer124 Regular Member • Posts: 416
Re: Nice lens

I owned both the Sony 24-105mm and this Tamron, and I sold the Sony.  The Tamron did not give up on sharpness or contrast anywhere in the overlapping range to the Sony...

Photographer124's gear list:Photographer124's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Canon EF 70-200 F4 II Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads