Sony FE35 f1.8 rattles when not attached to the body

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
yogi4fitness
yogi4fitness Regular Member • Posts: 101
Sony FE35 f1.8 rattles when not attached to the body

Just got a FE35 f1.8 from BHPhoto. It works great except when not attached to the body there is movement on the inside assembly when I turn the lens upside down just from gravity. I never noticed it in any of the older lenses I have. I can clearly see the whole inner assembly slide in the body when it turn it upside down. Is that normal or is something broken in the lens? I can still return it to BHP.

Sorry if this has already been answered. I am a noob and really worried that something is broken in the lens assembly.

TIA

Yogi.

alma175w Forum Member • Posts: 95
Re: Sony FE35 f1.8 rattles when not attached to the body

This is the linear drive motor - unsettling as you’ve discovered but totally normal.  Once connected to the body it is powered up and doesn’t move freely. The 20G is the same.

alma175w's gear list:alma175w's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
vivaldibow Contributing Member • Posts: 845

Totally normal, as stated by other people. When I got my first Sigma 16mm lens, I had the same concern. Frankly I think there should be a better solution in lens design: having something rattling in a lens house could potentially cause some mechanical issue (the optical issue). Just my 2c.

yogi4fitness
OP yogi4fitness Regular Member • Posts: 101

Totally agree that there needs to be a better approach. I hike frequently on rough terrain and have fallen with my camera a few times. The camera is on my chest in a harness so it doesn't really hit anything but does get jolted every now and then and having something that can move might cause some misalignment. I would like to have everything solid in place.

SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 10,116

vivaldibow wrote:

Totally normal, as stated by other people. When I got my first Sigma 16mm lens, I had the same concern. Frankly I think there should be a better solution in lens design: having something rattling in a lens house could potentially cause some mechanical issue (the optical issue). Just my 2c.

What problems has it caused for you? What problems do you know of that it has caused for others?

I'm thinking it's not a problem. If it were, Sony would not use this design in most of their lenses, since, if it were a problem, it would lead to a lot of in warranty repair work for them.

Incidentally, some of the Sigma lenses are similar. Shake a powered off DN lens, for example. And yet Sigma is comfortable giving a 4 year warranty.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Nikon D200 NEX-5T Sony a7R II +24 more
vivaldibow Contributing Member • Posts: 845

SQLGuy wrote:

vivaldibow wrote:

What problems has it caused for you? What problems do you know of that it has caused for others?

I'm thinking it's not a problem. If it were, Sony would not use this design in most of their lenses, since, if it were a problem, it would lead to a lot of in warranty repair work for them.

Incidentally, some of the Sigma lenses are similar. Shake a powered off DN lens, for example. And yet Sigma is comfortable giving a 4 year warranty.

Sorry, it has caused no problem. Thanks for your reply to my post.

yogi4fitness
OP yogi4fitness Regular Member • Posts: 101

I dont know of any problem its caused me. I am new to this design of lenses. I have a GM 24-70, and a FE85/1.8 and some stock lenses and didnt notice this. The Loxia also seems solid with no moving parts. I just feel it would be better if things were solid. I do build many semiconductor lithography imaging systems and every time they are moved they have to be calibrated so optics do move ever so slightly but then these are nanometer level precision systems and I don't think its a problem for the accuracy we need in consumer photography optics. It's just something that caught my attention but now I know its not a problem so I can rest easy.

basleigh Contributing Member • Posts: 654

Apparently many Japanese lens makers use this system; Like Fujifilm 90mm f2 with four magnets shifting / rattling when not in use. Many owners find it unusual until told the reason. The actual movement very small so there is no risk of internal lens damage.

Not only Sony 20mm f1,8 adopts this Auto-Focus lens system; also my Sony Zeiss 35mm f2,8 if you flip the camera up and down with camera turned-off. Very slight lens shift.

LOXIA 35mm f2 centre sharper after f4 whereas Sony 35mm f2,8 provides more consistent average optical performance at all apertures. That said the LOXIA 35mm a more interesting lens with manual focus; not that my Sony 35mm f2,8 ever disappoints for my needs.

basleigh's gear list:basleigh's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a7R III Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +1 more
Trollmannx Veteran Member • Posts: 7,251

yogi4fitness wrote:

Totally agree that there needs to be a better approach. I hike frequently on rough terrain and have fallen with my camera a few times. The camera is on my chest in a harness so it doesn't really hit anything but does get jolted every now and then and having something that can move might cause some misalignment. I would like to have everything solid in place.

Ok - if you want a fast, reliable and precise linear focus motor this is what you get. If it does not move it does not work. So it is.

Why worry about misalignment?

The focusing unit is floating in an electromagnetic field when in use - aligned and moving with incredible precision. When turning the current off the focusing unit is moving freely and rattling gently. Kind of cozy, like a cat...

But if you rather want an old fashioned and less precise focus motor by all means skip the Sony lens and get something else. What about a manual focus lens?

QuietOC
QuietOC Veteran Member • Posts: 4,504

yogi4fitness wrote:

You are likely to break the floating magnet Sony IBIS system like that. You may want to consider some other system for this use case.

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Pentax Q7 Sony a7 III NEX-5T Sony a7R II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II +110 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads