My 500mm PF lens arrives

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Kenneth Almquist Regular Member • Posts: 140
My 500mm PF lens arrives

My 500mm f/5.6 PF lens arrived today. I also bought a BlackRapid Sport Breathe strap that I attached to the lens because I didn't want to risk dropping the lens.

The lens arrived with VR turned off, but once I turned it on I was able to get images that were sharp across the DX frame. The following image is a raw conversion with no sharpening.

(Edited to add:  EXIF data for the above image is 1/250 sec, f/5.6, ISO 100, Nikon D7200)

I don't know much about photographing birds, but I had to try, and got this shot. The bird was underexposed in this image (the camera exposed for the sky) so this is another raw conversion, cropped:

I switched to sheep. Mostly I got shots that I could have gotten with a much shorter focal length just by waiting for the sheep to wander closer to the fence, but the following shot demonstrates the power of a 500mm lens to generate background blur, even at f/8.

Controlling the framing of a 500mm lens is challenging. For both the preceding shot and the next one, I took to photos and selected the one with the best framing.

Here's a fuse protecting an overhead power line:

The final shot is pretty much pure serendipity.

This is a backlit shot, with the sun to the left of the frame. Most of the bokeh circles in the background are reflections off the glass of lights decorating a tree. Reviews warn about shooting backlit scenes with the PF lenses, but I see no problems here.

Kenneth Almquist's gear list:Kenneth Almquist's gear list
Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-6.3G ED VR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +2 more
JasonTheBirder
JasonTheBirder Senior Member • Posts: 1,357
Re: My 500mm PF lens arrives

Congratulations on your lens. I can tell you are off to a great start and I am confident you will really enjoy shooting with it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads