What Full Frame Camera should i buy?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Cameron_1179_DP Forum Member • Posts: 67
What Full Frame Camera should i buy?

So my dilemma is that, my D7000 isn't doing it for me anymore. After having it little over 3 years, the capabilities of it don't meet what i need on the field. So i started looking around for options. 
I really liked My Dad's Nikon D3 and how well it handled low light. Its a bulky camera compared to my D7000 and my camera has a lot going for it, like the 16 megapixels or the compact body.
So clearly, selling my D7000 and going for a D3 would be a big upgrade (To me). Ive looked at the D600(And D610) as well as the D700. I think my heart is set on the D700 but i don't like the downgrades that comes with it (Ex: 1 storage slot).
I think id just like opinions from people that have used the D600/D610/D700, and how well it did with lowlight as well as image quality (Among other things, more detail the better). But thats all i ask, is some info on what you liked about the camera vs the other options you had. Thank you for your time and i will respond to comments if i have questions and the like. Bye!

Cameron_1179_DP's gear list:Cameron_1179_DP's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
ANSWER:
Nikon D3 Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 18,993
Re: What Full Frame Camera should i buy?

I imagine you would get the most useful answers by posting in the Nikon FX forum:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1021

New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 5,033

I agree with Sybersitizen about posting in the Nikon FX forum.

Also, clearly say in your opening post what you feel is lacking in your D7000. Is it mainly lowlight performance? Are you looking at getting shallower depth of field for portraits? Other reasons? Presenting your reasons upfront will really help people with giving you useful information.

Maybe consider too whether it is really full frame, or whether an upgrade to a D7200 or D7500 would give you what you need.

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 +13 more
OP Cameron_1179_DP Forum Member • Posts: 67

New Day Rising wrote:

Also, clearly say in your opening post what you feel is lacking in your D7000. Is it mainly lowlight performance? Are you looking at getting shallower depth of field for portraits? Other reasons? Presenting your reasons upfront will really help people with giving you useful information.

Maybe consider too whether it is really full frame, or whether an upgrade to a D7200 or D7500 would give you what you need.

Im looking for something that can handle lowlight and focus better in dark situations. Sorry for keeping that opening so broad haha. Partially why i want to go to full frame is they seem to handle noise better than DX cameras.

Cameron_1179_DP wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

Im looking for something that can handle lowlight and focus better in dark situations. Sorry for keeping that opening so broad haha. Partially why i want to go to full frame is they seem to handle noise better than DX cameras.

I should also add that im into landscape photography, so wide angles are important to me. I also do astrophotography hence why i want something to handle noise better.

Hugh Barstead Regular Member • Posts: 119

You are describing a D750. Why not that model?

New Day Rising

Cameron_1179_DP wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

Aye, fair enough.

Of course your budget will be a major consideration and also the size and weight of the gear you want to handle.

If it were me, assuming you have an "average" budget (which of course is a bit vague), I would be looking at a D750. Overall better performance and ergonomics than the D6xx series, without the bulk or cost of the D8xx series or D3, etc. I would do a bunch of reading to compare specs and thinking seriously about the ergonomics - coming from a D7xxx I reckon you would prefer a D750 to a D6xx - and get an idea of which specific models fall in your price bracket.

You mention the D700. This is still a great camera that can produce beautiful looking images, but bear in mind it has been around for a long while and its lowlight performance will be a fair bit below more recent models. I don't think it's what you're looking for.

Have a look at used (but not overused) models and you might be surprised at how much the prices of full frame DSLRs have dropped. I personally think they are much better value at the moment than mirrorless, but you might prefer the mirrorless and EVF experience.

-- hide signature --

All lies and jests; Still a man hears what he wants to hear; And disregards the rest

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 17,832

The D700 is an older cam. If you are concerned about low light, get a newer one: the D750/D780, etc.

TRIODEROB
TRIODEROB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,553

the D700 has a different sensor and gives a different look than the modern Nikon.

its not as fast focusing but in some ways gives a better image

for example the colors are very saturated

it has a unique look and is dirt cheap

I will post a few examples

MHshooter
MHshooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,010

Sure it isn't your lenses limiting you?

MHshooter wrote:

Sure it isn't your lenses limiting you?

Even with a Sigma 17-50mm 2.8/Tokina 80-200mm 2.8/50mm 1.8D i have to pump the ISO to 2500 or 3200 and then from there the noise makes the image unusable in most cases.

New Day Rising wrote:

Cameron_1179_DP wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

Aye, fair enough.

Of course your budget will be a major consideration and also the size and weight of the gear you want to handle.

If it were me, assuming you have an "average" budget (which of course is a bit vague), I would be looking at a D750. Overall better performance and ergonomics than the D6xx series, without the bulk or cost of the D8xx series or D3, etc. I would do a bunch of reading to compare specs and thinking seriously about the ergonomics - coming from a D7xxx I reckon you would prefer a D750 to a D6xx - and get an idea of which specific models fall in your price bracket.

You mention the D700. This is still a great camera that can produce beautiful looking images, but bear in mind it has been around for a long while and its lowlight performance will be a fair bit below more recent models. I don't think it's what you're looking for.

Have a look at used (but not overused) models and you might be surprised at how much the prices of full frame DSLRs have dropped. I personally think they are much better value at the moment than mirrorless, but you might prefer the mirrorless and EVF experience.

This is amazing! ive looked at the D750 but after looking again it matches what i need and looking around on Ebay it seems like a good option vs D700 (Which maybe outdated but i know its still a great camera). Thanks for this! it helped a lot, and cut down on the amount of time id have to look around and all of that crap.

New Day Rising

Cameron_1179_DP wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

Cameron_1179_DP wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

Aye, fair enough.

This is amazing! ive looked at the D750 but after looking again it matches what i need and looking around on Ebay it seems like a good option vs D700 (Which maybe outdated but i know its still a great camera). Thanks for this! it helped a lot, and cut down on the amount of time id have to look around and all of that crap.

My pleasure!

The D750 is crazy cheap these days for what you get. If you can scrape up a few hundred dollars more, now or later, you could pick up a D700 as well and enjoy its special look!

-- hide signature --

All lies and jests; Still a man hears what he wants to hear; And disregards the rest

New Day Rising wrote:

Cameron_1179_DP wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

Cameron_1179_DP wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

Aye, fair enough.

My pleasure!

The D750 is crazy cheap these days for what you get. If you can scrape up a few hundred dollars more, now or later, you could pick up a D700 as well and enjoy its special look!

If i can, i could get both D750 and D700 on a really good day when they are both cheap and play around with them a bit and see what all they could do. Thanks for the help!

New Day Rising

Cameron_1179_DP wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

Cameron_1179_DP wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

Cameron_1179_DP wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

Aye, fair enough.

My pleasure!

If i can, i could get both D750 and D700 on a really good day when they are both cheap and play around with them a bit and see what all they could do. Thanks for the help!

I don't think you'll regret it.

As fabulous as the new Z series mirrorless are, there is still a huge amount of value in the DSLRs. Not only are the bodies really cheap now, but you can get great F mount lenses for excellent prices.

Have fun!

-- hide signature --

ArtistAndCamera
ArtistAndCamera Forum Member • Posts: 55

Cameron_1179_DP wrote:

So my dilemma is that, my D7000 isn't doing it for me anymore. After having it little over 3 years, the capabilities of it don't meet what i need on the field. So i started looking around for options.
I really liked My Dad's Nikon D3 and how well it handled low light. Its a bulky camera compared to my D7000 and my camera has a lot going for it, like the 16 megapixels or the compact body.
So clearly, selling my D7000 and going for a D3 would be a big upgrade (To me). Ive looked at the D600(And D610) as well as the D700. I think my heart is set on the D700 but i don't like the downgrades that comes with it (Ex: 1 storage slot).
I think id just like opinions from people that have used the D600/D610/D700, and how well it did with lowlight as well as image quality (Among other things, more detail the better). But thats all i ask, is some info on what you liked about the camera vs the other options you had. Thank you for your time and i will respond to comments if i have questions and the like. Bye!

I currently own a D610 and have used both the D3 and the D7x00 series. Other than the FF sensor, headphone jack, and a few minor functionalities, the D610 and D7000 are very similar. The D3 doesn't do video like the D610 does, and the D700 is just an smaller, lower fps D3.

My reccomendation would be saving up for a D750 if you want a significant upgrade in photo and video quality, as well as a flippy screen. If all you want is the FF sensor, get the D700 or D610. The D610 uses the same battery as the D7000 BTW, and has the video perks...

-- hide signature --

"No. You're forgetting," said the Spirit. "That was not how you began. Light itself was your first love: you love paint only as a means of telling about light."
"Oh, that's ages ago," said the Ghost. "One grows out of that. Of course, you haven't seen my later works. One becomes more and more interested in paint for its own sake."
CS Lewis, The Great Divorce

ArtistAndCamera's gear list:ArtistAndCamera's gear list
Nikon D610 Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD +4 more
KAAMBIC
KAAMBIC Regular Member • Posts: 438

Cameron_1179_DP wrote:

Very much depends on what you shoot and why your D7000 isn't making you happy. I have owned a D7000 3 separate times and D700 2 separate times, as well as a D800, and D300 twice (still have one). The D3 IQ and AF will be very similar to the D700 so you can somewhat sub one for another in this conversation.

If i had to pick one area the D700 was better, by far, it's color. The color for skin tones was very nice and i shoot mostly portraits so that mattered to me. It also focuses a good bit better in lowlight and a bigger OVF is nicer to look though. You will get probly a stop and a half better noise performance over your D7000.

On the other hand, it has considerably worse DR so if you are pushing exposure in raw a lot, it might lose some of that IQ advantage. Single card slot as you mention as well. Keep in mind the D3 does not have a standard auto ISO system with SS adjustments while the D700 does.

One last thing before i offer some shots of each, both the D700 and D300 can be fitted with a grip, said grip can be fitted with an adapter (called the BL-3) that lets you use the MUCH larger D3 battery. It works with 3rd party grips. Just FYI in case you like super long battery life.

-- hide signature --

"You taught me hate, I'll teach you fear" -

KAAMBIC's gear list:KAAMBIC's gear list
Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-S10 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +2 more

New Day Rising wrote:

Cameron_1179_DP wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

Aye, fair enough.

So an update:
Found a few D700's i liked, but then found a nice D3 for only $500 so i decided to bite the bullet...What an amazing camera i have got to say, ill probably end up getting the D750 as a back up but the D3 is my workhorse for now (And so far its survived 3 drops)

ArtistAndCamera
ArtistAndCamera Forum Member • Posts: 55

So an update:
Found a few D700's i liked, but then found a nice D3 for only $500 so i decided to bite the bullet...What an amazing camera i have got to say, ill probably end up getting the D750 as a back up but the D3 is my workhorse for now (And so far its survived 3 drops)

Congratulations! The D3 is an amazing camera, in my experience. Now time to get some good glass!

-- hide signature --

"No. You're forgetting," said the Spirit. "That was not how you began. Light itself was your first love: you love paint only as a means of telling about light."
"Oh, that's ages ago," said the Ghost. "One grows out of that. Of course, you haven't seen my later works. One becomes more and more interested in paint for its own sake."
CS Lewis, The Great Divorce

ArtistAndCamera's gear list:ArtistAndCamera's gear list
Nikon D610 Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD +4 more

ArtistAndCamera wrote:

So an update:

Congratulations! The D3 is an amazing camera, in my experience. Now time to get some good glass!

aka, save up and get that nice looking 24-70mm 2.8

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads