HLG picture profiles on a7S II

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Ivathoma Forum Member • Posts: 56
HLG picture profiles on a7S II

Hi,

I recently aquired a second hand a7s II, but it's quite different from my a7r IV menu-wise. Is there any HLG picture profiles and corresponding color gamuts on the Sony a7s II? I can't seem to find it in the picture profile settings. There's Stills, Movie, Cine 1-4 and SLOG 2/3.

On my Sony a7r IV they are in the picture profile menu.

Regards

Ivar.

Sony a7 Sony a7R Sony a7S Sony a7S II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Andy873 Regular Member • Posts: 460
Re: HLG picture profiles on a7S II

Ivathoma wrote:

Hi,

I recently aquired a second hand a7s II, but it's quite different from my a7r IV menu-wise. Is there any HLG picture profiles and corresponding color gamuts on the Sony a7s II? I can't seem to find it in the picture profile settings. There's Stills, Movie, Cine 1-4 and SLOG 2/3.

On my Sony a7r IV they are in the picture profile menu.

Regards

Ivar.

The s2 came out before HLG was a thing

OP Ivathoma Forum Member • Posts: 56

Ahh, that explains it. Thanks

On a sidenote: which picture profile and color gamut is recommended for low light filming? For instance Aurora Borealis and Milky Way+

Any tips for a profile that requires minimal grading for daytime shooting would also be appreciated. I'm a complete beginner at video and feel kind of overwhelmed by all the options.

Andy873 Regular Member • Posts: 460

Ivathoma wrote:

On a sidenote: which picture profile and color gamut is recommended for low light filming? For instance Aurora Borealis and Milky Way+

Any tips for a profile that requires minimal grading for daytime shooting would also be appreciated. I'm a complete beginner at video and feel kind of overwhelmed by all the options.

If you don't know what you're doing, just go with no profile.

1DSmII Senior Member • Posts: 1,157

Ivathoma wrote:

I'm using my a7SII for meteors, or rather trying to - so far weather/storms have stopped me, but I hope to have another go around the Geminids peak in a week or so (see thread on the astrophotograpy forum for details).

I currently have these settings:

res/fr: 4K 30p
system: NTSC
Exposure: 1/30
ISO: 51200
gamma: sLog2(7)

Will probably try upping the ISO a bit more.

PS. What lens are you using? For best results in low light you will need a fast/super-fast lens! I've got a Sigma Art 28/1.4 for mine.

-- hide signature --

Leo S.

1DSmII's gear list:1DSmII's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 30D +22 more
Handsome90 Contributing Member • Posts: 581

Ivathoma wrote:

With the A7S Philip Bloom uses Cine 2 for nighttime and Cine 4 for daytime. For colour mode he recommends S-gamut (but cinema is quite good but with more saturation). For no grading he suggested gamma: cine 3 and colour mode: pro

You can watch the whole seminar here https://youtu.be/zeX-eZXaRtw

Thank you all for the replies. I will try your suggestions!

I tried to make a video of the Andromeda galaxy with my Canon 200mm f/2.8 using Cine2 and Cinema color gamut at iso 102400. It turned out okay, but I will try your suggestions next time

Thank you for the detailed description

I've been using a Sigma 35mm f/1.2. It's basically like night vision. Would love something a tad wider though, so maybe a 24mm 1.4 would suit me too.

Ivathoma wrote:

Thank you for the detailed description

I've been using a Sigma 35mm f/1.2. It's basically like night vision.

Yes, 35/1.2 has a good sized aperture. I have to admit though, I may have overlooked that particular lens. I just bought a Tamron 35/1.4 SP, but I am now wondering what the Sigma 35/1.2 is like for astro stills wide open.

I have played with a gen2+ NV monocular for capturing meteors, and it is good, even capturing very faint meteors. I uploaded some of the better (brighter) examples here:

https://vimeo.com/user83167831

There is also a bit of footage of lightning with the a7sII + 28/1.4 with the settings I mentioned, but it probably does not tell you much!

Would love something a tad wider though, so maybe a 24mm 1.4 would suit me too.

If you are looking for ideas, check out some of the recent threads on the astrophotography forum.

Keep in mind (if you did not know already), that as you get wider, physical aperture gets smaller, so 24/1.4 lets in less light than 28/1.4. See "table 1" here:

https://clarkvision.com/articles/nightscapes/

Of course 50/0.95 would be the ultimate light gathering lens (there are examples of footage with them on the web if you have not seen already), but they are not very well corrected for aberrations.

-- hide signature --

Leo S.

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 30D +22 more

Actually the Sigma 35mm f/1.2 is great even wide open. There's not a lot of coma.

Loved that lightning video btw! That is something that almost never happens here.

I will see if I can manage to upload something taken with the Sigma so you can judge for yourself

Ivathoma wrote:

Actually the Sigma 35mm f/1.2 is great even wide open. There's not a lot of coma.

That's good to hear. I might have to check it out!

Loved that lightning video btw! That is something that almost never happens here.

Thanks. It's just a shame there is a lot of interference (I'm guessing caused by the long HDMI cable), and it would have been better with a longer lens.

I will see if I can manage to upload something taken with the Sigma so you can judge for yourself

Thanks. I'd appreciate that very much!

-- hide signature --

Leo S.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads