Easy question about IQ Z 50 vs. Z 5?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
bobbidog Contributing Member • Posts: 899
Easy question about IQ Z 50 vs. Z 5?

If anybody uses a Z50 besides a Z5 i’d be happy to get my question answered … Last week i was testing the Z50 with the kit lens (16-50mm) and took some photos of landscapes i often visit when testing gear. I have to say: The Z50 performed extremely surprising – even with the kit lens (sunshine, blue sky).
The Z50 rendered finest details, even distant leaves and vegetation was clearly recognizable. All the Canon gear i tested in this particular spot (a vineyard landscape) was easily surpassed by the quality of detail the Z50 delivered. Even the Fuji XTs (XT30, XT3) were beaten. The only downside: The Z50 is really very small and the handling of the lens sometimes was a bit „hard work“. While returning the Z50 after my free of charge test i could touch the Z5 body on site in the store and fell in love at once. Just the perfect weight and dimension. Now my question: Will the Z5 reveal this level of detail in the pictures the Z50 did – also with the Z5 kit lens (24-50mm) under the same circumstances?
Thank you!

-- hide signature --

happy fotoing :: bobbidog

fz750
fz750 Regular Member • Posts: 315
Re: Easy question about IQ Z 50 vs. Z 5?

bobbidog wrote:

If anybody uses a Z50 besides a Z5 i’d be happy to get my question answered … Last week i was testing the Z50 with the kit lens (16-50mm) and took some photos of landscapes i often visit when testing gear. I have to say: The Z50 performed extremely surprising – even with the kit lens (sunshine, blue sky).
The Z50 rendered finest details, even distant leaves and vegetation was clearly recognizable. All the Canon gear i tested in this particular spot (a vineyard landscape) was easily surpassed by the quality of detail the Z50 delivered. Even the Fuji XTs (XT30, XT3) were beaten. The only downside: The Z50 is really very small and the handling of the lens sometimes was a bit „hard work“. While returning the Z50 after my free of charge test i could touch the Z5 body on site in the store and fell in love at once. Just the perfect weight and dimension. Now my question: Will the Z5 reveal this level of detail in the pictures the Z50 did – also with the Z5 kit lens (24-50mm) under the same circumstances?
Thank you!

I'm curious about the x-t30/3 comparison as , according to most accounts, the fuji sensor is perhaps the best available right now - how did  you compare?

fz750's gear list:fz750's gear list
Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-T30 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +2 more
OP bobbidog Contributing Member • Posts: 899

Hi Fz,

the comparison is quite easy: Same scene, different gear. No scientific testing. Analyzing and pixel-peeping the taken photos, I shoot raw only and the Fuji raws (xtrans) look somehow strange. I never saw this degree of "watercolour" effect on raw files. I used ACR for developping my raw files. And yes - in terms of Fuji capture one does the better job - however the files (zoomed in) still looked strange.
Furthermore i never experienced such a quantity of unsharp photos i had using Fuji equipment. I used several XT30 - with 18-55 and 16-50 lenses - 10% of my shots were unsharp. Talked to Fuji, showed the files. Camera was checked and optimized at fuji - same thing again. On top of this: In the last 20 years i NEVER had problems with any kind of SD- or CF-cards. The XT30 "killed" one of my sd-cards. 6 hours of shooting in the snow were destroyed. Although the camera's display didn't show any sign of misfunction and numbers were counted from shot to shot. That was my very own personal experience. The Fuji watercolour and unsharp-topic was and is discussed in detail in lots of threads. So Fuji isn't (anymore) for me ...

-- hide signature --

Nikon24-7 Regular Member • Posts: 474

bobbidog wrote:

Hi Fz,

the comparison is quite easy: Same scene, different gear. No scientific testing. Analyzing and pixel-peeping the taken photos, I shoot raw only and the Fuji raws (xtrans) look somehow strange. I never saw this degree of "watercolour" effect on raw files. I used ACR for developping my raw files. And yes - in terms of Fuji capture one does the better job - however the files (zoomed in) still looked strange.
Furthermore i never experienced such a quantity of unsharp photos i had using Fuji equipment. I used several XT30 - with 18-55 and 16-50 lenses - 10% of my shots were unsharp. Talked to Fuji, showed the files. Camera was checked and optimized at fuji - same thing again. On top of this: In the last 20 years i NEVER had problems with any kind of SD- or CF-cards. The XT30 "killed" one of my sd-cards. 6 hours of shooting in the snow were destroyed. Although the camera's display didn't show any sign of misfunction and numbers were counted from shot to shot. That was my very own personal experience. The Fuji watercolour and unsharp-topic was and is discussed in detail in lots of threads. So Fuji isn't (anymore) for me ...

I too have tried a lot of different Fujifilm cameras. The last one was the X-E3, but Fuji didn’t work for me either. Now I am using the Nikon Z50 and love it.  I tried the Z5 but was not impressed at all. If I go fullframe I wil buy one of the Z6’es.

fz750

bobbidog wrote:

Hi Fz,

Interesting. I wasn't aware of the worms/watercolor issues, just been looking around, seems to be an issue that bothers some, others seem to be oblivious too, depending on which software used to some degree perhaps.

Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-T30 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +2 more
beatboxa Veteran Member • Posts: 7,471

bobbidog wrote:

Thank you!

Simple answer:  Yes, the Z5 should surpass the Z50.

NCB Senior Member • Posts: 1,626

I understand the Z5 is roughly equivalent to my Z6 regarding IQ. So from my experience with Z50 and Z6 it should have a slight edge on the Z50. But... the Z50 is very good indeed, and has the advantage of no AA filter, which at times will give it an advantage.

I wouldn't judge them on IQ. Look at the complete package (size, weight etc) and see which is more to your liking. Personally I'd be reluctant to go for the 24-50 lens because the range is really restrictive, but that's me. A Z6 with 24-70 might be worth considering.

Nigel

NCB's gear list:NCB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D3100 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50
rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 26,202

beatboxa wrote:

bobbidog wrote:

Thank you!

Simple answer: Yes, the Z5 should surpass the Z50.

Certainly with lenses of comparable quality. It seems the apsc kit lens is much better than competitor’s, from many user reviews. Is the FF kit in Z5 also excellent? Both Z5 and Z50 have been good surprises from Nikon, they shoukd be selling faster, Nikon needs a more aggressive marketing model.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
beatboxa Veteran Member • Posts: 7,471

rhlpetrus wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

bobbidog wrote:

Thank you!

Certainly with lenses of comparable quality. It seems the apsc kit lens is much better than competitor’s, from many user reviews. Is the FF kit in Z5 also excellent? Both Z5 and Z50 have been good surprises from Nikon, they shoukd be selling faster, Nikon needs a more aggressive marketing model.

Judging from the MTFs:

Yes the Z5's kit lens is comparable or better than the Z50's.  The (Z5 + kit lens) will provide 1 stop improvement (in noise, shallower DOF, etc.); while the (Z50's + kit lens) will provide more zoom range.

If one is looking at MTFs or similar comparisons, remember to scale values appropriately--ie. the APS-C requires 22% more linear enlargement.

fz750

rhlpetrus wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

bobbidog wrote:

Thank you!

The Z50 will (as all Nikon DX do) suffer from a lack of dedicated lenses. If you are happy with what exists and planned, then fine

I think the Z5 has a hiccup due to reported low light focussing issues, otherwise it would be a no brainer personally as an entry point into the Z lenses

see : https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4528656?page=5

fz750 wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

bobbidog wrote:

Thank you!

The Z50 will (as all Nikon DX do) suffer from a lack of dedicated lenses. If you are happy with what exists and planned, then fine

True, Nikon have been less than careful, to be kind, with APS-C users.

I think the Z5 has a hiccup due to reported low light focussing issues, otherwise it would be a no brainer personally as an entry point into the Z lenses

see : https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4528656?page=5

But see this post on same thread:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64549048

So maybe sample variation, not many people reporting it, could be a lemon. The Z5 is a bargain currently.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
OnExposure member
(after Ed Murrow)

Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more

beatboxa wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

bobbidog wrote:

Thank you!

Judging from the MTFs:

Yes the Z5's kit lens is comparable or better than the Z50's. The (Z5 + kit lens) will provide 1 stop improvement (in noise, shallower DOF, etc.); while the (Z50's + kit lens) will provide more zoom range.

If one is looking at MTFs or similar comparisons, remember to scale values appropriately--ie. the APS-C requires 22% more linear enlargement.

Myself I’d get an FF, Nikon is not very attentive to APS-C users’ needs, from their dslr history. Given they keep saying they’ll focus on enthusiast level or higher, I see very little coming in term of dedicated lenses for the smaller sensor line.

That probably makes sense, FF prices have fallen, camera size dropped, so that most enthusiasts have access to a nice compact FF system now.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
OnExposure member
(after Ed Murrow)

Egil Stroemme wrote:

bobbidog wrote:

Hi Fz,

I too have tried a lot of different Fujifilm cameras. The last one was the X-E3, but Fuji didn’t work for me either. Now I am using the Nikon Z50 and love it. I tried the Z5 but was not impressed at all. If I go fullframe I wil buy one of the Z6’es.

What about the Z5 you didn’t like? Focus, handling, IQ?

-- hide signature --

Renato.
OnExposure member
(after Ed Murrow)

Armando Bandero Junior Member • Posts: 47

The Z50 has 3 advantages over the Z5, if any of that is important to you...

• 11fps vs 4.5fps
  • built in flash
  • better video quality
Gary Barnett
Gary Barnett Contributing Member • Posts: 980

Armando Bandero wrote:

The Z50 has 3 advantages over the Z5, if any of that is important to you...

• 11fps vs 4.5fps
  • built in flash
  • better video quality

Also better low-light focusing with low-light AF mode enabled by -1 EV?

Gary Barnett's gear list:Gary Barnett's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR
OP bobbidog Contributing Member • Posts: 899

I'd like to thank you all for the great suggestions and tips. In fact, I have now purchased a Z50. What is really missing is a display that swivels like the one on my OMD EM 1 II. Otherwise the Z50 is very compact and light - and yes: There is a difference in IQ/dynamic range compared to the MFT standard. The Z50 colors look lovely, the kit lens 16-50 performs perfect in terms of sharpness and fine detail retention. Okay it's a 6.3 lens opening at 50 mm, but on sunny days this doesn't matter. Until now no major complaints so far.

-- hide signature --

sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,868

bobbidog wrote:

Thank you!

I'd say the Z5 probably has the upperhand, just because it's higher resolution, but in real world testing, it may be hard to tell the difference between the two.  The Z5 will likely have less noise than the Z50 but again, probably not all that noticeable (maybe 1/2 stop difference with advancements in noise reduction algorithms and processing).

If you like the results from the Z50, the two lens kit is a great deal though, perfect for travel, and about the same price as a Z5 body.

If I had to choose one, I would go with the Z5, partially because (for me) I like dual card slots and the better low-light performance (the Z5 is similar to that of the D750, which was a very good camera in its day, and it still is today). Also, not sure what you plan to shoot in the future, but Nikon is putting more focus on FF glass, so the DX line's options in terms of native lenses, may be limited (it is now, and who knows what NIkon will do in the future).

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +11 more
vbuhay
vbuhay Veteran Member • Posts: 4,299

bobbidog wrote:

Thank you!

Comparing these two bodies is like comparing D500 and D750 in the DSLR world...I have both and the Z50, I was hoping to use the Z50 as an alternative to my D500 but the EVF was not for me and Birding....However, I found that the Z50 is a great Travel and nightime outdoor camera....so it has found a place in my Bag....samples:

I can pocket the Z50 and 16-50 lens, no bags required - Perfect for Disneyland!

vbuhay's gear list:vbuhay's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon D500 Nikon D4S +33 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads